Prepping for 'Ard Boyz 2500 point Army

This Forum is now closed - if you have an ongoing Project Log here you'd like to continue using, please PM "Epic Duck Mike" and he'll move it to another area.
arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Prepping for 'Ard Boyz 2500 point Army

Post by arcticcanadian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 pm

Ultramarines Strike Force lead by Marneus Calgar. 2500 points to be prepped, painted, and based before 'Ard Boyz. It will be a challenge but I think I'm up to it.

Underway...
Indeed, the very process of construction and creation foreshadow destruction and decay. The palace of today is tomorrow's ruin, the maiden of the morning is the crone of the night, and the hope of a moment is but the foundation stone of everlasting regret

arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Prepping for 'Ard Boyz 2500 point Army

Post by arcticcanadian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:35 am

I have changed my mind several times over what army to start, what I want to paint, model, collect, what army I like the fluff, background, and a theme for an army. I've wanted to build an army that is both competitively but not on the level on competitiveness that blows other armies out of the water, but a competiveness that makes for an interestingly fun but challenging army to play against others. Yet its models, units used and chosen, the paint scheme and level of modelling.

Work is going slowly with my constant mind changing at times with what army I want to put my best effort into. So obviously I never made my self appointed deadline and I entered my Necrons and ended up in the middle of the bunch in the end.

So I have chosen to collect, model, paint, and game with the Blood Angel Chapter being lead by Commander Dante.

Here is the army list that I have put together and have started and actually have a good start on. I've been in a mood paint recently and have had progress. I will post up pics in the next couple of days to get more input on the direction of the army and its color scheme. Here is the list...

HQ
Commander Dante
The Sanguinor

Elites
2 Sanguinary Priests w/ jump packs

Troops
Sanguinary Guard w/ chapter banner, infereus pistol, powerfist
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 meltaguns, powerfist
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 meltaguns, power sword
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 meltaguns, powerfist, rhino
10 Assault Marines w/ 2 meltaguns, power sword, drop pod w/ locator beacon

Fast Attack
3 Marine Bike squad w/ 2 meltaguns, attack bike w/ multi-melta, combi-melta
3 Marine Bike squad w/ 2 meltaguns, attack bike w/ multi-melta, combi-melta
Baal Predator w/ heavy bolters, dozer blade, storm bolter

Heavy Support
Vindicator w/ siege shield

Total 2500 points
Model Total 61
Indeed, the very process of construction and creation foreshadow destruction and decay. The palace of today is tomorrow's ruin, the maiden of the morning is the crone of the night, and the hope of a moment is but the foundation stone of everlasting regret

arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by arcticcanadian » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:39 pm

Still not exactly sure what list I will be running for sure since it is now a great length of time before the next 'ard boyz but as of now I am thinking of all jump packs, which I think is both competitive and very appropriate fluff and for name's sake "The Angelic Host".

I still haven't taken pictures which I am ashamed that I borrowed a camera and not taken the time to take pictures and be able to show my progress up till now. (I am lazy...) but be that as it may I am making fairly good progress across the entire army for now. I tend to have several projects going on at once so that I don't get burned out on one squad instead if I feel myself getting down I will switch and jump to another unit or model. So here is what I have been up to...

Assembled, primed, and based
- 20 Assault Marines, 2 squads of ten w/ 2 meltaguns, Sergeant w/ infernus pistol, power weapon in each squad

- 3 Sanguinary Priests w/ jump packs, infernus pistols, power weapons

- 5 Sanguinary Guard w/ chapter banner, death masks, 1 w/ infernus pistol, powerfist

- 2 Chaplains w/ jump packs, infernus pistols

- The Sanguinor "Exemplar of The Host"

- Commmander Dante

All are in various stages of being painted/completed although none are quite done or I am happy with quite yet. But overall with the weapon/wargear on and everything my points total comes to exactly 1850 although being in Utah all Rogue Trader Tournaments are 2500 points and the next one is a month and three weeks away and I am wanting to have everything decently painted and all ready by that time it comes around. Pictures will be up shortly, and tonight I should be able to get a game or two in with what I have thus far so I am looking forward to see how it all fairs.

arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by arcticcanadian » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Okay simple green works to strip... Yet not as well as I may have thought. The Sanguinary Guard are stripped and unfortunately I dropped one of they're wing's down the drain. Luckily a friend can recast it for me otherwise one of the Sanguinary Guard would be one wing short :( Dante, Gabriel, Chaplain, 3 Sanguinary Priests and five assault marines are all stripped as best as can be. So drying them and preparing for another good session of painting.

The Sanguinor "Exemplar of The Host" is completed except for writing on the purity seals and scrolls, beyond that he is done and I am happy with the result. I don't have a camera otherwise I would indulge you all. But everything is going nicely so far...

arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by arcticcanadian » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Okay I am in the process of stripping what paint I have painted on thus far and redoing what I originally was planning on to do for a paint job. I've decided upon Flesh Tearers because they're paint scheme in my opinion is much more flavorful and unique. I have also rethought my list and have come up with the following and I am wondering what you all might think of it now as it stands currently. The game went so badly last Thursday that I have been frustrated and yet I believe I know what I did wrong and what bad luck can bring you. So here is my most current list.

HQ
Commander Dante

The Sanguinor "Exemplar of The Host"

Elites
3 Sanguinary Priest 2 w/ jump packs, power weapons, and meltabombs and one w/ jump pack, infernus pistol, meltabomb

Furioso Dreadnaught w/ blood talons, extra armor, drop pod w/ locator beacon

Sanguinary Priest w/ jump pack, infernus pistol, meltabomb

Troops
Sanguinary Guard w/ chapter banner, infernus pistol, powerfist

Sanguinary Guard w/ Death Masks, infernus pistol, powerfist

10 Assault Marines 2 meltaguns, power weapon, infernus pistol, meltabomb

10 Assault Marines 2 meltaguns, power weapon, infernus pistol, meltabomb

7 Death Company w/ jump packs, 1 w/ hand flamer, power weapon, 1 w/ thunder hammer, w/ Lemartes "Guardian of The Lost"

Total: 2500 Points

Just let me know what you think, thanks.

arcticcanadian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by arcticcanadian » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:28 pm

I changed it up a bit after looking at it further. I decided that one furioso Dreadnaught would be enough while the armor and WS is better and it doesn't have rage. While If I hold everything in reserves it will be the only thing on the board on my turn one and so I thought it best to have the better front armor of 13 and extra armor to keep it moving next turn. While the drop pod itself has a locator beacon to help out any jump pack squad that could be deepstriking nearby. Granted that if I hold everything in reserve, the dreadnaught and drop pod may have an entire army shooting at it, but I can drop it into cover or behind cover to make it a bit more survivable and since the Furioso has no long range weapons I can pop smoke launchers and give it that much more of a chance to survive.

Meanwhile I have still had bad luck with Dante and not exactly sure if his precision deepstrike is more worth it with the Sanguinary Guard or one of the Assault squads. While the Sanguinor will be on his own and will be viable dropping him almost anywhere survive a turn of shooting before charging into something and destroying all that stand in his way (I like the Sanguinor .

The four Sanguinary Priests will be attached to both Sanguinary Guard and Assault Marines w/ the Priests that have infernus pistol's will be with the Sanguinary Guard while the Priest's with power weapons will be attached to the Assault Squads. As of now I am thinking that Dante will be with the Sanguinary Guard that have the chapter banner so as to take advantage of his attacks and increasing them by one making Dante have seven attacks on the charge going at strength five and able to reroll one failed to hit roll. Plus with his Death Mask of Sanguinious its possible that both he, Priest, and Sanguinary Guard will be hitting on three's and wounding on three's all with power weapons besides the Priest. Not to mention if the Sanguinor is close by and gives any unit within six inches plus one to they're attack stat. Making it possible that Dante would be attacking with eight attacks on the charge while the Sanguinary Guard will be attacking with four attacks, and the Priest with six attacks. Which makes for a debate of whether or not to then switch the infernus pistol with a power weapon instead for this particular priest in this particular Sanguinary Guard.

The biggest concern is choosing what can handle what and making sure that I don't over extend myself. To use the jump packs to keep together and choose a flank to then attack and destroy my opponent's army piece by piece. That I get the charge and not the other way around. So yeah...