Scherdy's WIP - Can he do it? Ulthwe Eldar

This Forum is now closed - if you have an ongoing Project Log here you'd like to continue using, please PM "Epic Duck Mike" and he'll move it to another area.
Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Scherdy's WIP - Can he do it? Ulthwe Eldar

Post by Scherdy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:09 pm

First shot at a few guardians to get a scheme down and get back into painting. Just basecoated and 2 highlights on armor, base and a shade on weapons.

Any suggestions/critique on highlight placement or changes is appreciated.

Helmets aren't as smooth/clean looking as I would like either. Will post more pics when I do some gems and doo-dads next.

Here's hoping I reach 150 points per month.
Cheers!

Joe
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
Location: I sleep on the MWG floor, curled up with my mini's.

Re: Scherdy's WIP - Can he do it? Ulthwe Eldar

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:14 pm

I like it a lot... and I wouldn't go too crazy on them... you will have a lot of models to paint ;)
If you're blue and you don't know
where to go to why don't you go
where fashion sits...
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

And that is why Kharn was cut from the original cast of Puttin' on the Ritz.

Eldar - 8000-ish
Space Marine - 1500+

Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Scherdy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Joe wrote: you will have a lot of models to paint ;)
Aww, now you didn't have to bring that up did you? But thanks for the reality check :)

It's definitely going to be a three-way cage match with folding chairs, lead gloves, and the occasional rubber chicken between The Procrastinator, Mr. Perfect, and the underdog of the trio, Successinator? :?: (I like to picture them as late 70's and early 80's professional wrestlers with cool masks and costumes) The Successinator needs a better name if he wants to make it big I think. Suggestions?

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:16 am

You're further than I am :mrgreen:
Good luck, they're looking very nice
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Scherdy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 am

Probably going too slow still but practiced gem and eyes on first guardian to get ready to do the next 8. Any pointers or suggestions are welcomed.

Oh, and eldar eyes....not a huge fan of painting them!

Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

clock's ticking..

Post by Scherdy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 pm

and I'm behind. We'll see what I can turn out. Here's where I'm at for the moment...

Any feedback on what needs reworking, help at a later time is very much appreciated..

Not sure on sizing of pics but we'll see how this goes.

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Those look great! Can't wait to see how the rest of your army will look :D.

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

turducken
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by turducken » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 pm

That is absolutely beautiful! I cant wait to see more!
Ladies and germs, I'm the wedge buster, and I am here to bust a wedge.

I am also known as Benny the Crusher.

Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Scherdy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 pm

It's looking like a Joker for me here for the month. No pansy-boy excuses! I just didn't get it done. Next month going to break out the discipline and even if it's only 30 mins each night, going to have a brush in hand more nights than not! And watching tv with a brush in hand will not count!

Here's what I did today. Spent way too long finishing these. Gave an extra highlight on the armor in sharp edged places and then tried to push the contrast on the guns and even the helmet a tad to pure menoth white.

My joker will have to get me though. We'll see what I learned and if it helps me next month. The single weapons crewman is me messing around trying a different procedure for doing the armor and trying to practice getting smoother transitions.

Diabetus101
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Diabetus101 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:14 am

I like it seeing as i play ulthwe eldar as well... hope to see some more units! :mrgreen:

Scherdy
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Scherdy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:50 am

Diabetus101 wrote:I like it seeing as i play ulthwe eldar as well... hope to see some more units! :mrgreen:
Well, here are some updates. It's not a lot as I'm so terribly slow but I'm learning a lot and trying new things I was previously pretty terrified to attempt and would just read about them rather than use my own brush :) There's stuff I'm not super pleased with but overall I'm digging how this turned out.

Always looking for help/ideas though.

and then highlighting with SW grey (never would have thought to use this color but got some good suggestions)

More Dakka
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by More Dakka » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Wow, they look really nice!

The helmets look pretty clean to me, but I understand if you're having trouble with them, I find that skull white and bleached bone tend to get clumpy really quick. If you want a super smooth application you have to do multiple layers of watered down layers, which is time consuming to say the least.

The scheme and paint jobs look great! Ulthwe is my fav craftworld colors to boot!

Keep it up!
-SIGNATURR!!!