Stealth?

If you have any ideas for rules or game play that you think would make the game even better then post them here.
Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Stealth?

Post by Phatty » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 pm

Was wondering if you could have some units be in "stealth mode" meaning that the enemy cannot tell where exactly they are but still have a general idea.

to do this i came up with a sort of marker system. to "stealth" a unit takes up the units movement and shoting turns. you role a D12 to see how many markers you put down. evens give you 3 markers and odds give you 4 (just an idea). you then place down the given number of markers all having to be 6" from the unit's original location. and each marker must be 2" from another one. the "hidden unit" can attack on its next turn.

while stealthed the unit can not move. the attack distance is the range of the weapon based from the location of the unit before it went stealth. the attack negates 1 point gained from cover. (ex. heavy cover would provide 2+ not the normal 3+)

when being attacked the attacking squad must be in range of half of the markers. stealth provides a 1+ defense bonus in addition to the cover that the unit was under before being hidden. each hit is then automaticly kills a marker the chance of hitting the actual unit is 9+ then damage is calculated for a normal hit.

ex. a rifle squad shoots 4 shots at a group of 4 markers. 2 shots hit. the the D12 is rolled twice to see if the stealthed unit is hit and one of those rolls is a 9+ all the markers are removed and the unit is no longer hidden. the unit is also counted as supressed for the next turn.

the unit is unstealthed if it is
a)hit my a ranged weapon
b)moves
c)an enemy unit comes within close combat range

side notes:
player who owns stealthed unit chooses which markers are removed. stealthed units can not use close combat

just an idea let me know what you think

SkullThrone77
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Stealth?

Post by SkullThrone77 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 pm

seems a little complicated, but i like it :mrgreen:
Space Wolves-1500 Points

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:36 pm

yeah i think i over complicated it. all i was really getting at was to make it so that a single unit (like a sniper) would be harder to hit by creating a squad of decoy markers. it would then just be like shooting at a squad instead of one guy. so it would be harder to hit some units without having to give them more armor.

all the numbers and stuff was overkill now that i think about it

thanks though

SkullThrone77
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SkullThrone77 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:40 pm

no problom :twisted:
Space Wolves-1500 Points

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:27 am

Yes, it's very possible and it should be incorporated in game.
Even today you have matterials which absorb all light at certain angle of object obeservation. So... you don't see that object from 30 degrees to 45 degrees, and you have troubles noticing it from 20 to 55 degrees.
These materials are made in quite complex way, molecule by molecule is added to fit in just right way to make it absorb light.

With advancement of nano-technology in future we'll have to naked eye and radars, invisible and almost undetectable airplanes, tanks, maybe even space crafts.
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:56 am

5th Generation fighters are stealth based. The F-22 and F-35 are specifically designed to reflect as little radar as possible and to lower their heat signatures. Although I think it will take lots of work to incorporate this into the modern soldier in a way in which he or she can maintain their mobility, it doesn't mean it we can't have fun. Besides its in the future.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

WarPetrie
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Location: Fighting alongside O'shovah in the ongoing crusade against the Green Skins

Post by WarPetrie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 am

what about tau stealth suits? wouldn't they have something like that?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination
yoyomansizzle wrote:No one knows what happens in the devilfish because what happens in the devilfish stays in the devilfish

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 am

Yeah stealth suits, cameleon like suits (nanotechnology) which reduces the chance for enemy to spot the wearer.

Perfect for snipers who are already hiding :D
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Cameloline cloaks? (spell check)
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Animal, lizar, cameleon, has very unique skin that adapts itself to have the color of environment.

Nano technology could do the same (even better ! )
but... damage to that suit would break it :P
so... it's like... almost invisible until you get damage.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:57 am

Of course it wouldn't offer much protection. When it takes damage you take damage.

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Exactlly many units' only defense would be stealth. Once they are found they would easily be blown to bits.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:50 am

True,
yet... if they are used well they would be horrible and devastating to enemy and even if discovered... they should by that time do pretty nasty damage.
(also! due to advanced technology of stealth suits which is based on nanotechnology and matterials with light absortion properties (i don't know how to translate it from my language in english but it is acctualy matterial with negative "light breaking index" - this is literal translation ) units with it should be very expensive and awfuly hard to detect uness you have some kind of motion sensors or infra-red detection and even then they would be hard to pin-point, cause you have to guess their exact location if you know that they are there)

jasonlotito
Gold Vault Member

Post by jasonlotito » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Rather than all the markers, just allow the unit to make a normal move at the start or end of any part of an opponents movement phase. This simulates "fog of war" and the stealth aspect of the unit. This also eliminates the need for extra markers, and makes stealth pretty powerful (which it is, in truth).

The move should be farther than normal, maybe half-again as far as normal. To enter stealth, they have to be X" distance from an enemy unit and must be in cover. Also, the player shouldn't be forced to move the unit. If in moving the unit, he doesn't fire and is still in cover, he is considered to be still in stealth.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 am

Plus you can add to that unit something as veil of tears, if player wants to shoot at that unit he/she must throw dices for spoting range. (i will not recomend which dices and how many of them cause that requires deeper knowledge of Primal Horizon game mechanics works, i leave that to more experienced people )