high ground

If you have any ideas for rules or game play that you think would make the game even better then post them here.
alatriste
Now we're getting somewhere...

high ground

Post by alatriste » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am

I noticed from the rules and the demo videos that you have not taken high ground into consideration. I think at the scale of engagement the game uses, it would be an important tactical factor, and not too hard to incorporate. Just make it yet another modifier for the shooting roll: -1 if you are on high ground, +1 if you are on lower ground. I think something as simple as this would really spice up the building-to-building shootouts.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: high ground

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Actually, it was something we considered in the early stages of the game, but originally removed for the simple fact that a Sniper, in an elevated position, in Hard Cover, was nearly impossible to hit. However, we've since reduced the effectiveness of cover somewhat, so we'll probably revisit the idea.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:50 am

That sniper definatly would be op at that elevation and cover, but isn't that the point? This forces the 'attackers' to fight all the way thru the 'defending' force or around it to get at the sniper. Or just hide from it competely
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 am

There's a fine line between 'Overpowered' and 'Effectively Unplayable'. This is a game, afterall, and needs to be enjoyable. We'll give this rule more thought again once we've playtested the core rules further :)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:49 pm

In many games holding the high ground doesn't do diddly-squat unless both parties are in cover because with cover its whoever shoots first wins. It makes a ton of difference if both are in cover. This may be a poor example, the person on the high ground can take a step backwards and increase the effectiveness of his cover while the guy down below has to scoot closer. You can only get so close to your cover.

Perhaps a +1 modifier to your cover if the shooting is coming from a lower elevation, and/or a -1 modifier to your cover if the shooting is coming from a higher elevation.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?