Degrading Cover

If you have any ideas for rules or game play that you think would make the game even better then post them here.
DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Degrading Cover

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 am

The way I see it if a rocket hit a fence there wouldn't be much of a fence left...

Some weapon could/should have a cover degradation value and cover should have a durability value. This would add a degree of strategy to choosing your cover. If its durable it would be more attractive than if it was flimsy.

Thoughts?
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Degrading Cover

Post by AlexDemille » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:37 am

I don't think that would work for all cover/weapons. Perhaps certian weapons have the special rule.
That would also make the same slower with lots of little markers/dice roaming the battle field.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:45 am

That's what I meant. Rockets and grenades would be able to take out barrels and wooden pallets but perhaps not concrete. Rifles wouldn't be able to degrade cover
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Corpsey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 pm

I disagree with the no rifles thing. all cover should be degradable, so long as you have a weapon powerful enough to dislodge/destroy it. a wooden fence wouldn't be able to do much to stop a bullet, enough bullets will render that fence pretty much ineffective as a fence. concrete would be more susceptible to det packs. i think the chance of degrading cover be low however, as cover is a major part of the game, if this system is to be incorporated at all..
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Armageddon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Armageddon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:42 pm

i think that it is a great idea!
A good friend helps you up when you tip over, A best friend laughs and trips you up again :D
CPP wrote:Go full scale. :wink:
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

punkminsam
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by punkminsam » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:32 pm

I agree, partially. I think that yes, a rocket, for example, should be able to do some degrade damage to cover, but not lighter weapons. It all comes down to a question of realism and complicatedness (Is that a word? :wink: ) Sure, you could do that for most weapons, but before long it would turn the game in to a complicated time consuming slog, instead of the faster paced game it's supposed to be.

Then again, MWG knows what they're doing, it IS their game :D

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:37 pm

I like this idea

Mwg if you want to do this, try looking into lotr's fortress rules for ideas?
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:09 pm

I think the biggest concern would be having to keep track of the "Hit Points" or "Strength" of each piece of cover. I do like the idea though, and a few simple counters could take care of that.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Maybe a basic roll for weapons that can degrade. Each cover has a token with a number/symbol that indicates what type of cover it is. Maybe a +10 roll and you trade the token in for one of lesser value.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Maby when the game gets into Vhecile and Heavy support sort of stuff. There could be simple Cannons and artillery pieaces that chould have a specal rule for removeing cover.

The Cover would have a Durability Value.
The Cannon would have a Explosive Force Value.

You then Roll the EF Value ageist the D Value and see if the cover is removed.

This would need to be play tested the crap out of, because it could end up being REALLY unbalanced.

Armageddon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Armageddon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 am

maybe you should just roll to totally destroy the cover e.g. 6+ cover is blown sky high 6- the rocket/beam/lightning spear? misses and hits the floor a few yards away, although you could end up destroying ALL of the cover and turn the game into a total mess.
A good friend helps you up when you tip over, A best friend laughs and trips you up again :D
CPP wrote:Go full scale. :wink:
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Hiadel
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Hiadel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:15 pm

I like the idea, but I also see how it could take away from the main theme of cover. I think you should aply the idea, but make it very limited. Mabey giving rocket launchers and the like an ammo value?

zuzu
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by zuzu » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 am

as i see it... they have a rule now for blast weapons deducting some of your cover bonus, but not removing it. the game really doesn't have anything that can make a bigger boom than a RPG, even the vehicles arn't going to (or as i see shouldn't) be things as heavy artillery.

if you shoot a window or a stone wall with a small missile, you make a hole or the window larger, unless you hit the same place enough, but you rather hit the people inside or behind the cover.
Chaos Space Marines--4,000pts
Chaos Daemons--1750pts
Orks--1500pts
Fantasy
Warriors of Chaos--2250pts
Skaven--1500pts
Primal Horizen
Hopefully Shield