Boarding in the game

If you have any ideas for rules or game play that you think would make the game even better then post them here.
Armageddon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Boarding in the game

Post by Armageddon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:36 pm

i looked at the 'What are the viechels' thread and an idea came to mind.

what if when you and your squad are in cover and you see a mob of mounted bandits on horses charging at you, you shoot down all of the bandits but then you see some horses standing there...

i think Miniwargaming should have units on horses but seeing as they want to make there game as realistic as possible they should consider making the units interchangeable so then your squad can jump out of cover and mount up, it could be that same with transports, you could roll to see if you damage the APC/truck/horse or its crew/passengers/rider(s), if all the crew die why not jump in and use there own weapons against them???

---UPDATE---
ok, i now dont think that the units should not be interchangeable cuz you would have to have the models before taking the car/truck/horse which would cost a hell of alot of money, also i think that you should be able to assault a veichel and kill the crew, therefor looting the truck/car in the possess, again just roll to hit the crew or transport, the more enclosed it is the more harder to hit the crew, e.g an open top car could be 5+ and an APC 9+
Last edited by Armageddon on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A good friend helps you up when you tip over, A best friend laughs and trips you up again :D
CPP wrote:Go full scale. :wink:
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Boarding in the game

Post by Nocturus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:51 pm

I believe this is because the mount/vehicle is considered to be unusable after its riders/drivers are killed. Either the horses ran off, were injured, or killed when their riders were under fire, or the vehicle was damaged beyond immediate repair during the firing.

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:43 pm

But it usually doesn't end up that way
Unless it was a tank or armored vehicle where you'd need to blow it up to kill the crew
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 pm

If you were firing on a tank long enough to kill the crew, the tank is probably unusable at that point. And even if it's still functioning, I don't believe the controls in a tank are so intuitive that any marauder or scavenger could hop in one during a battle and immediately know how to drive it and operate the weapon systems simultaneously ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Corpsey » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm

For something like a Technical though, it'd be workable. I'd consider this less boarding however and more hijacking/looting.

War horses are generally trained to only allow their masters or people deemed appropriate by the masters to ride them. I'm by no means a professional in that field though so someone more well informed should comment.

I personally disagree, and you /shouldn't/ tell miniwargaming what they -should- or should not do. they can do whatever the hell they want.

Vehicles in which the crew has been killed will still contain their bodies, and the vehicle itself could be damaged to a certain point. the time required to evacuate the bodies, position yourself within it and 'take over' would be fairly taxing, as well as exposing yourself while distracted trying to hijack something that they could very easily just take back again from you.

I'm not making the game, but thats my 2 cents.
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:39 pm

I think looting is something you do once the area is secure, not in the middle of combat.

;)

Once the other side has surrendered, Ran away, or dead. THEN you loot.

You also make sure you LOOT, and THEN BURN. Not the other way around.

CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by CptKracker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 pm

MiniWarGamer Mike wrote:If you were firing on a tank long enough to kill the crew, the tank is probably unusable at that point. And even if it's still functioning, I don't believe the controls in a tank are so intuitive that any marauder or scavenger could hop in one during a battle and immediately know how to drive it and operate the weapon systems simultaneously ;)
Ya, that true, but think about a car, you can shoot through a door or window and not damage the vehicle while killing the crue. As far as horses, 3/4 of them get mowed down, 1/8 run away and the rest are either dumb as hell or injured

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 pm

CptKracker wrote:Ya, that true, but think about a car, you can shoot through a door or window and not damage the vehicle while killing the crue. As far as horses, 3/4 of them get mowed down, 1/8 run away and the rest are either dumb as heck or injured
That really depends how good your aim is... miss the crew, and you can easily blow a tire, or nip a fuel line, or punch a hole in a radiator. Cars are fragile :P
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:42 am

It could be still workable, just mained like a tank without it's main gun in 40k(hate those references)

Think of the Spartans of halo or Rambo or any elite group, sometimes they had to take out the gunner/driver of a Humvee or truck then would often jump on it to then wreak Havok or get away
Last edited by Epic Duck Mike on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed your double :)

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:59 am

Maybe a special assault squad that climbs up on the vehicle opens the hatch and drops a few grenades in.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:08 am

DracoAvian wrote:Maybe a special assault squad that climbs up on the vehicle opens the hatch and drops a few grenades in.
I do believe that dropping a grenade inside of a tank would basicly destory the internal controls. Don't forget the inside of a tank isn't constructed of the same armor proof material and would be destroyed in the process.

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Of course, I was putting a quick and effective way for a unit without any real anti armor weapons to disable a vehicle. I wasn't thinking of hopping inside with all the blood 'n' guts and driving off into the sunset.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Doghouse
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Doghouse » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:10 am

I think the best way around it would be to buy the vehicles minus crew and treat the vehicle as a seperate unit for your faction. You then assign the vehicle to a squad that can use it as a transport.

What I'd do is allow players to treat vehicles such as jeeps as open topped.
Basically you can choose to target either the crew or the vehicle seperately if you aren't using some sort of anti-tank weapon.

The crew gain cover modifiers depending on the armour of the vehicle, this adds another tactical element to light vehicles.
You can try and just blow them up or target the crew seperately in the hope of killing them.
Once the crew is dead you can them board them and drive off as long as there is one squad member to drive and weapons can be fired as long as there are additional squad members.
What this means is that light vehicles can be used as a means of transport that provide you with a heavy weapon mount and mobile cover which will be invaluable do to the way the modifier rules work.

Vehicles like jeeps/trucks are pretty much going to be able to driven by anyone and it'll set fully armoured vehicles apart from the lighter vehicles because you won't be able to target the crew on a tank.

Characters such as snipers could ruin someone's day by taking out crew members.
You could complicate the rules further by allowing them to target individual crew like a driver or gunner which denies them that ability in their next turn as someone else scrambles to take their position.

So kill the driver and it continues at the same speed that it moved last turn straight ahead, kill the gunner and it can't fire next turn.

Given the background material I've seen so far looting enemy vehicles would be of paramount importance to factions like marauders that might not have their own production capabilities. And the ruling is simple enough that it doesn't slow the gameplay down and can take full advantage of the modifiers system in place.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:45 am

I think that sums up a great idea

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:42 pm

That would be good. Perhaps on certain type of vehicles they could use them as cover. Shoot over the hood of the humvee. (or whatever they had...)