Land mines!

A rigged launcher that fires scrap? A new plasma rifle? We want your weapon ideas!
Monster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Land mines!

Post by Monster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:52 pm

I was thinking and what about those? Each player would decide where to put the mines before the game starts. They could simply take a sheet of paper and mark where they put the "mines" with dot from a marker. A mine "sweeper" could be used to detect the other player's mines.
I read your post 3 times and laughed each time. Dreadlord

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Land mines!

Post by Asrodrig » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm

There was a topic already about claymores and satchel charges that brought up this idea, but the minesweeper idea is new.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Again, your opponent could just 'avoid' your mines
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Asrodrig
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Exactly, so you put them in a tactically advantageous place, ie a good sniper spot, and your opponent avoids your mine, ergo your opponent won't get the good spot. :mrgreen:

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Today military is researching inteligent mines that "recognise" enemy.

In future you could have mines that don't explode but rather shoot their charge at the enemy if they come too near.
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

Asrodrig

Post by Asrodrig » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 pm

... So like those shotgun traps on Fallout 3?
For those of you who haven't played Fallout 3, basically what happens is there's a shotgun sitting in this wooden cradle-type thing that magically shoots you when you walk by it.

Monster
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Monster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:17 am

I meant it like this... You mark where you put the mines on a sheet of paper. If the enemy goes on one you tell you opponent "your mini walked on a mine. Here is my sheet of paper with were the mines are, and your mini is there." (It would be a good idea to cover up your other marks)
I read your post 3 times and laughed each time. Dreadlord

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Plus you can have various types of mines (depending what you want to do to enemy)
Kill, pin, maim, destroy vehicle, stun etc.

But instead of acctualy having to stand on the landmine it can detonate it's charge on the enemy even if he passes nearby!
(he doesn't have the transmitter that tells to mine that he's a friendly unit so mine activates on the enemies movement and shoots at them, explodes, flashes, burns them with flames etc. )
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

Phatty
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Phatty » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm

You could have a certain engineer type unit set up a mine field area. Say it covers a 12 square inch area (only 4"x3" and 6"x2" areas). The engineer will then role some sort of dice to see how "dense" the minefield is. So the higher this number is the harder it is to cross the field unharmed. The "attacker" has to beat this roll in order to advance every 2" through the field. If they are hit it automaticly deals one wound are the unit is immobile for the rest of its turn. Then the "attacker" can have their own engineers sweep through the mine field destroying it. Again for each 2 square inch of minefield the "minesweeper" must roll higher than the minefield density (plus any bouns they have from their "gear")

This might be a little too techinical but it gets the idea across and it is better than using a peice of paper. (More tabletop friendly i guess)

clendenin
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by clendenin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 am

Ariyaris wrote:Today military is researching inteligent mines that "recognise" enemy.

In future you could have mines that don't explode but rather shoot their charge at the enemy if they come too near.
sentry?

Cougmeister
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cougmeister » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:24 pm

... So like those shotgun traps on Fallout 3?
For those of you who haven't played Fallout 3, basically what happens is there's a shotgun sitting in this wooden cradle-type thing that magically shoots you when you walk by it.
Actually in fallout you can see trip wires and can disable them, hard to spot though. The shotties don't magically fire