Claymores and Sachel charges

A rigged launcher that fires scrap? A new plasma rifle? We want your weapon ideas!
DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Claymores and Sachel charges

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:07 am

I'm not talking about swords roughly the size of a fire truck or people with dumb names doing dumb things.

Claymores as a stand and shoot weapon and satchels as booby traps.

Thoughts?
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Claymores and Sachel charges

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 am

I like them but your enemy would just move around wherever you put them because you can't really 'hide' them in a tabletop game like this
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 am

Yea, I don't think they'd work out very well in the translation to tabletop games.
And also, how is a Claymore a stand and shoot weapon?

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Say a sniper is equipped with them. An enemy unit charges to get into close combat with the sniper. The sniper triggers the claymore and causes a lot of wounds.

Flame template, strength 5, Armor Piercing (doubles the damage done to armor, in this case it would be -2).

Place the flame template at the base of the model and aim it toward the enemy unit.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:35 pm

That's not quite how a Claymore works... They're really more of a booby trap device.
The best way I can think of for them to work is you buy X amount for X points, or whatever, then plant them in the deployment stage. Then, if any unit, friend or foe, gets within 3" of one of them, you put down a large blast template and all units underneath it take a hit.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 pm

Claymores are shaped charges, they wouldn't explode like most other bombs. It would be more appropriate to use the flame template.

Also claymores or any other explosive device are considered to be illegal if the device is automatic. In other words if the device isn't detonated be the operator it is a war crime.

As you said it would be hard to implement traps, so this is the only way that I see it working.

XxthornxX
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by XxthornxX » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Yeah it would help block off an area and everything, I like it. Just claymores no charges...

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:00 pm

I like the deployment idea, perhaps have them as scouts.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

So proximity explosives are illegal?

ribtibs
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by ribtibs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 am

Are we really going on real world legality issues in a game where the universe is post-apocalyptic?

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 am

looks like it

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:55 am

Yes, in fact anything that could potentially hurt a non-combatant is severely frowned upon. Trip-wired explosives, mines, and a high tech cousin motion-sensored explosives are all illegal. Mines and explosives that are activated by a human operator (the guy with the remote with the big red button) are legal.

It is kind of a "duh" fact that not everyone plays by the rules. I might break a rule to kill an enemy. (I would have to be in a war, and sure it was an enemy) I would break many rules to save a comrade.

No one would follow rules in a post-apocalyptic world.