Armor

A rigged launcher that fires scrap? A new plasma rifle? We want your weapon ideas!
Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Armor

Post by Asrodrig » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Couldn't they salvage scrap metal from busted up vehicles, buildings, etc. to use as armor?

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Most definitely.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:18 am

:)
Plasma storms are.. highly unlikely. Cause temperaure of plasma is usualy over 1000 Kelvin degrees. Unless it's phenomena caused by electrical discharges such as lightning which is actualy the "burning" air created by strong electrical discharges. But that classical electrical storm.

But :D
The idea of environment damage is something that, i am sure, will be present in the game. Eco-system is badly damaged today. But in future after apocalyptic wars it would be damaged even more. So some areas might not be able to be used for crop-growing. The lack of food, animal and/or plant life in other areas. Global warming which is present today. Good drinkable water would be a resource people would fight for.

Plus, some areas would be radioactive (ex nuclear power plants, places where nuclear waste was dropped and now uncovered and exposed), some areas would have high level of toxicity due to leeking of toxical waste etc. etc.
But most of the planet would be kinda... okey except for the human cities which are probably demolished.

Overall, the armor idea is good, and is logical, cause you want your soldier to survive longer in combat conditions etc etc.
And i agree with you in "
that in some cases where factories are still working to some degree could be rigged by the new occupants to produce things such as weapons and amour, and it is also likely that a scientist (or a band of scientific and inventive minds could be working away on something in a laboratory that survived somewhere) though the things that are produced would probably be to aid in survival for example production of basic weapons armour and equipment to help fend off the occasional bandit attack
."

Scientists would also probably be under constant urge and need to develop new crop growing systems, devices for water purification etc. to help rebuilding the civilisation. And these devices are also very valuable things and people would fight for it, if not the most valuable.
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

KnoxyMcKnox
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by KnoxyMcKnox » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:41 am

Hehehe, i looked through the main story article again and realised they were "Bio-Storms" not plasma storms... why was i thinking of plasma? :? Oh well it was an honest mistake!

Perhaps that some scientists would of decided to throw ethics/morality out the window as helping the human races (or their own) survival becomes top priority which could mean some bizzare creations that would not be acceptable in a civilized world. But the onlything that comes to mind for this at the moment are cyborgs with either the kind which is a human brain put into a robotic body kind or a human "enhanced" with robotic parts...

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 am

I don't know what "bio-storm" is and how is that possible. So i'd like somebody tells me what it is, or what is it supposed to be.

As for scientists... well, i am kinda moving among the people who develop things, do researches [such is my university].

Most of them are against evil things, most of them want only good to come out from their work. To find new energy resources, new materials, to uncover how nature universe and everything around us truly works, to help cure diseases ( bacterial and viral, and genetical mutations aswell like downs syndrome and many others ).

There are very little people who want to use their knowledge for mean things.

Even the cybernetics and genetical engeneering (which i want to do) are all meant for good things.

Usualy people in government or high ranked military people/ secret services etc. are somethimes forcing scientists to work for them, or provide them what others can't ... and that's money.
[i ensure you, many bizzare things are done to man today but it's kept secret and people are convinced it's not happening]

But... i guess there might be some people who want to work for greater good, no matter how it affects small group of people [testing the new cure, weapon etc. ] if it will help save humanity... it's good.

Or people who are dictators and have scientists forced to work for them (like in USSR when they were developing nuclear and hydrogen bombs ... but there the situation was much more complicated, and about that some other time)

Now, about the idea of building armor from scraps... i say try to cover yourself with metal plates so that you think you're protected. Then put on yourself a gun, ammunition, survival gear: compas, rope, clothes, some of the food, sleeping bag, etc. etc. ...
Then run for 1 mile.
If you succeed running for 1 mile without falling on ground from exhaustion... great! you're superman.
Then, try to sneak in that... [here you'll definately fail]

Kevlar vests are used for that purpose. light and provide certain amount of protection. [even better than metal would... unless you can put on yourself quite rare and expensive improved titanium alloys .... which are, again, too heavy. other metals are either too light and with low hardness, or too heavy for man to wear]

For "power armors" metal is okey, cause that battle suit is powered by engines inside while being worn by man. For that i have no objection but that should be rare in primal horizon.
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:13 pm

You could use a lightweight high strength ceramic coupled with Kevlar. Have you seen Dragonscale? That stuff is intense.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 pm

Hmmmmm
Hehe
Crysis nanosuits
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah! :D
nano technology... self regeneration of armour (to certain limits) :D
plus shield generator to protect your entire squad... mhmmm... sounds sweet to me :D