Armor

A rigged launcher that fires scrap? A new plasma rifle? We want your weapon ideas!
NecronFighter
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Armor

Post by NecronFighter » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 pm

Ok, this may not be a weapon, but it's still a item, how about a helmet or a bulletproof vest of some sort?

firemanmm
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Re: Armor

Post by firemanmm » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:44 pm

i know there are going to be several levels of armor. the heavier the better. maybe there can be an upgrade for certain units.
Dis iz my Choppa. Der iz many like it but dis one iz mine. Wifout it I am nofing, wifout me it is nofing.

Orks of the Steel Toez klan- 3000 pts
Empire-4000+ pts
Menoth- Kreoss, Reznik, and Feora +40 pts
Cygnar- battle box
Circle Orboros kaya + 20

sikarita
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by sikarita » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:47 pm

You can upgrade units, 'ard boyz for example, are just upgrades of regular boyz and get a 4 up save for 4 points
the orks plauge the galaxy from end to end...i fear that ultimately it is they, not we, who shall rule the galaxy

"death to the puppets of the emperor!"

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:51 am

Should heavier armor result in reduced movement or jumping/climbing/swimming?
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

firemanmm
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Post by firemanmm » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:41 am

i think that the heavier the armor the slower their movement rate.
Dis iz my Choppa. Der iz many like it but dis one iz mine. Wifout it I am nofing, wifout me it is nofing.

Orks of the Steel Toez klan- 3000 pts
Empire-4000+ pts
Menoth- Kreoss, Reznik, and Feora +40 pts
Cygnar- battle box
Circle Orboros kaya + 20

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd assume this kind of stuff will be added into the game. Infact armor is already added to the beta rules, just hasn't been implemented fully because they're still in beta. I wouldn't worry about this kind of thing guys.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:39 am

Armor is wonderful thing.
Standard kevlar-carbon fibers personal armor todays soldiers and police officer wear in action should be available to most fractions.

But, you should keep in mind that it's not all in "more metal, more plate, more stuff that's hard"

Today you have shock absorbing gels that greatly reduce kinetical energy of bullets. It's technology that's under the development but in near future, lets say 100 years or so, we might have suits that don't reduce your dexterity, that are light, and probably reinforced with certain plasti-ceramic-like materials which are also under the development. These suits are better than wearing metal plating.
2 major reasons, equal or even better protection and it's light and doesn't reduce your mobility.
Such stuff should be rare or available to some high-tech geared fractions.

There is also the classic armor idea, power armor, but!!!
It is moving by utilising internal electro-motors otherwise man would be unable to function properly in combat conditions while wearing that armor.
Too heavy, and reduces dexterity for some aditional protection which can be ignored with simple sniper rifle shot or direct rail gun shot.
Therefore, it MUST be powered by electromotors moving it and giving bonust to overall strength of the unit.

:)
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Again, we're getting into the realm of high tech and super soldier, not good for a skirmish game. Other than that splendid idea. Maybe for characters.

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, that's what i said.
Only special forces or units might have that.
To produce something like that is extremely expensive!
And not easy task either.

But such armor would provide only certain amount of protection [which is better than little or none which is something todays soldiers must satisfy with]
It would save you against ordinary automatic guns. But rail gun shoot would pierce trough you [it can be used as advanced sniper rifle of great strength and precision] , also heavy calier automatic gun, gatling gun, some sort of machine gun or even some electricity beam, plasma beam or laser beams weapons would still deal awful damage to you if not killing you with the first hit, no matter the armour you carry.

[unless you want armour equivalent to terminator armour made of special plasti-ceramics, advanced alloy mixtures and shield generator [which is possible too! but for that i need to read more things, but it seems that in Japan their scientists made something that creates repulsive force around small objects on small scales, anyway, you said you don't want that but if you do... i have ideas, tons of them... ]
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?

KnoxyMcKnox
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by KnoxyMcKnox » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 am

Considering that this game is set in a post apocalyptic environment most armours will either be scavenged, or bolted together from scrap metal/materials etc. With the former, more advanced armour (something akin to some sort of futuristic kevlar perhaps?) would be durable (provide a good armour value) lightweight (not impairing the models movement) and since its pre-apocalypse stuff... hard to come by? (would mean a higher points cost) whilst the latter would go something like this:

Light metal armour : small armour value, doesn't impair movement, cheap
medium metal armour : decent armour value, impairs movement slightly, relatively cheap
Heavy metal armour: good armour value, impairs movement significantly, moderate points cost.

Well... thats just my ideas, may not necessarily be good but, oh well :p

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Please, try to avoid using metals as armor.
Metal is too heavy and impractical.
You need to have very thick plating of metal to make it useful for infantry.

You have kevlar today... in 100, 200,etc. years , we're gonna have even better materials, as i said: Armors are better to be made from carbon materials in which are incorporated special gels. It acts as jacket! But on bullet hit it becomes as thick as titanium absorbing it's kinetical energy and bullet does not penetrate the jacket nor the victim.

It's light and you're able to move freely, unlike while wearing metal armor -.-

Asrodrig
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Asrodrig » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:14 pm

They use ceramic plate in a lot of body armor these days too.

KnoxyMcKnox

Post by KnoxyMcKnox » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:12 pm

When i wrote about metal armour i was merely thinking of a post apocalyptic environment (which primal horizon is, isn't it?) with majority of human race wiped out and where no one would likely find any advanced armour unless they were lucky enough to come across some sort of storage room or warehouse with some of it in, with the other, more common alternative for armour, is it being made out of scavenged materials i.e. parts from a wrecked car or from a building in state of disrepair etc. But since primal horizon is set sometime in the future (if i remember correctly) then it is highly likely that there would be much more advanced metal alloys and composites that are extremely durabble but much lighter than, say for example; now.

But then again, armour and weapons would vary greatly depending on the faction, for example a faction that stumbled across some sort of intact (or semi-intact) military installation would have a great deal more access to all that advanced armour that you were talking about than say; a faction of bandits...

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:04 pm

That is true what you are saying :)
But, certain amount of knowledge and cetrain facilities should have survived meaning that some pieces of technology should be available to fractions having access to that [ fraction Shield for instance ]

Metals should be better then but... special design of ceramics incorporated by nano fibers isn't issue... not even today in certain cases. The issue is this: Money!

In post apocalyptic time some "high tech" fractions should be able to produce certain amount of good armor, weapons etc. etc.

Oh... and post apocalyptic time does not mean that humanity has lost everything and fallen to stone age, it should be kept in mind that it is still future [near future, but that is why i am proposing everyting which is possible today but not used cause of too high prices to create {in future maybe we'll find cheaper ways to create some stuff and what we see in sci-fi movies will be seeing on battlefelds}].
Even the classical "bullet rounds" and automatic guns would be better than todays, rail guns, hipersonic cannons [for tanks only or fortified bases], target finders, sensors etc.

And all that is available via stealing and producing [in rare areas where industry has remained intact, or in secret laboratories]

KnoxyMcKnox

Post by KnoxyMcKnox » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:06 pm

I suppose that is quite true, that in some cases where factories are still working to some degree could be rigged by the new occupants to produce things such as weapons and amour, and it is also likely that a scientist (or a band of scientific and inventive minds could be working away on something in a laboratory that survived somewhere) though the things that are produced would probably be to aid in survival for example production of basic weapons armour and equipment to help fend off the occasional bandit attack. Which also brings me to the subject that i remember reading something in the fluff about the environment changing and there being plasma storms or something which could mean some form of environment suits could be some type of armour which are highly effective at protecting from flame, poison, radiation, electricity, plasma... etc based attacks and could be an upgrade and worn underneath (or over?) armour which on its own is not good at protecting against conventional weapon attacks or it could be a suit of armour in itself aswell. I dunno, its an idea i only just came up with, oh well.