Minigun

A rigged launcher that fires scrap? A new plasma rifle? We want your weapon ideas!
Jombo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Minigun

Post by Jombo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:31 am

Oh, I would so like to see something like this in the game. I was thinking like a whole squad of guys, 2-4, would carry around a minigun, and then just blast away at things.

For example, I was thinking something along the lines of that the unit which contains the minigun can only move if it would like to sacrifice the ability to shoot/attack. This is because the minigun is so heavy and cumbersome that it takes all of their men to lift the gun and carry it to the next position. Then, once they get there, they have to take the time to load it up and prep it, thus, they don't get the chance to shoot.

I was thinking the the gun would have very good statistics, after all, it is a minigun!

Also, I was thinking that the rest of the men in the unit, considering it would take two to fire the minigun, one which is giving directions to shoot, and one which is shooting, would have rifles or some simple weapon which they could either stick in a holster or sling across their backs.

Now, I just realized I more of suggested a unit, not really a weapon. Although, the weapon is what the whole unit is based around.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, the minigun would probably only require one strong man to carry and shoot it. So, I guess he could be an independent. However, feel free to use whatever idea you like, you have my permission. :wink:
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Re: Minigun

Post by Corpsey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:47 pm

In the current military state of things, Miniguns are generally mounted on vehicles, though there is a special heavy-tripod version that some machinegun range somewhere has and uses...

a Minigun would be impractical, though a fun idea. It sounds like the new IG Punisher tank if i remember correctly, heavy 20? Its such a wasteful volume of fire on squad sized targets... a HMG team would make more sense.

I like the move or shoot scenario, its realistic, and more strategic/tactical.

Also, a single man being able to effectively use this weapon is pretty mch an impossibility, there is simply too much power for one man to control and carry, unless there is some kind of power-armor incorporated with it... (a unique unit wearing advanced power armor wielding a mini-gun-esque weapon? kinda like a merc, not sure who he'd fight for though..)
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 pm

I get that they are normally mounted on vehicles, however, I'm not sure how much of a presence miniwargaming wants those to have in the game, which is why I instead suggested the squad idea.

As for the number of shots, like they have already done with the normal machine gun, instead of having such a sheer number of shots, they can substitute that for a better chance of a kill. I'm not completely familiar with the rules because I haven't read them when I'm "awake" yet, so I can't provide an example, but they should know what I am talking about.

As for the one man thing, I didn't think that that would be a possibility, which is why I also suggested the whole squad thing.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kazamato1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:30 am

if ur german you get access to the m134 which they carry and ammo on back. and they just walk forward with the gun firing.
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:52 pm

Kazamato1 wrote:if ur german you get access to the m134 which they carry and ammo on back. and they just walk forward with the gun firing.
I doubt that.

Kazamato1
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kazamato1 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Corpsey wrote:
Kazamato1 wrote:if ur german you get access to the m134 which they carry and ammo on back. and they just walk forward with the gun firing.
I doubt that.
unless they have a loader of course
I'm sooo cool, I don't need a signature ;D

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:46 am

Miniguns are pretty well known weapons guys. Suggesting something as commonly known as a minigun is pointless, GW has most likely at least thought of implementing it. Try thinking of origional stuff like (this is an example, not a realistic suggestion), say a rocket-propelled-exploding-chainsaw-launcher...

WITH A SCOPE!

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 am

Hmm that's what I kinds don't like about 40k
They try to think up original stuff but
It's 40 THOUSAND years in the future and thier still using chainswords, tanks with treads, and sometimes balistic weapons
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:20 am

Fusebox45 wrote:Miniguns are pretty well known weapons guys. Suggesting something as commonly known as a minigun is pointless, GW has most likely at least thought of implementing it. Try thinking of origional stuff like (this is an example, not a realistic suggestion), say a rocket-propelled-exploding-chainsaw-launcher...

WITH A SCOPE!
People also commonly know what a spear, machine gun, and sniper rifle are. I don't think they are going for all fake weapons. After all, it is recovered technology, so why wouldn't it be possible that they dug up a minigun somewhere?
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm not saying they shouldn't be in the game, all I'm saying is that this is a suggestions section. It should be for origional ideas, not common place things.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:54 pm

It's suggestions for what weapons we think should be in the game, not for what we think should be invented. So, I think this fits in this section perfectly since it isn't in the game yet, and that is what this section is for. Suggesting weapons that you think should be in the game that aren't.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Kazamato1 wrote:
Corpsey wrote:
I doubt that.
unless they have a loader of course

Do you have any idea the amount of recoil that a 7.62 NATO round has? Do you know how quickly that builds up at 3000rpm? The recoil of the german MG42 (and its mg-3 modernization) in itself is only suitable for burst fire, or from a set-up position (with bi/tri-pod).

Even if it were possible to assault with this weapon, what advantage would it have over more conventional weapons, such as the aforementioned mg3. they would be much lighter, and therefore mobile, consume less ammunition (therefore having to carry less ammunition, and further increasing mobility), and would be more accurate.

Unless of course you're taking this example from a specific, experimental, instance, i honestly doubt there is anything behind your claim.

Ciaphas Cain
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Ciaphas Cain » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:22 pm

personally i think a minigun is a great weapon except that in that game if you just put one on each stree or open ground you'll pown everthing with the sheer number of shots regardless of cover.
imp guard about 1500 .Dark elves about 1000 point corsair raiding fleet.
23 men of minas tirith one was obliterated.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listens to real music, copy and paste this to your signature.

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Which is why you make it too expensive points-wise to do that.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:28 pm

Corpsey wrote:Do you have any idea the amount of recoil that a 7.62 NATO round has? Do you know how quickly that builds up at 3000rpm? The recoil of the german MG42 (and its mg-3 modernization) in itself is only suitable for burst fire, or from a set-up position (with bi/tri-pod).

Even if it were possible to assault with this weapon, what advantage would it have over more conventional weapons, such as the aforementioned mg3. they would be much lighter, and therefore mobile, consume less ammunition (therefore having to carry less ammunition, and further increasing mobility), and would be more accurate.

Unless of course you're taking this example from a specific, experimental, instance, i honestly doubt there is anything behind your claim.
There's a line where realism stops being fun. Sure bringing a minigun into combat is more than a bit unrealistic, but hell it's a fun thing to include. I'm sure most people could look past how unrealistic it is, otherwise they would never include them in video games and such.