The Wrex

Got an idea for a cool Primal Horizon faction? Post it here!
lordbob
MiniWarGaming Regular

The Wrex

Post by lordbob » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:08 am

Embers glowed briefly on the end of the cigar as the heavily built slaver took another slow puff, rolling the smoke around in his mouth and then blowing it out with a satisfied air. His dark eyes turned down to the four prostrate bodies lying on the gravel in front of him; taking a few steps, the gravel crunching underneath his feet he surveyed them.
He stopped at the last unmoving form and gave it a haphazard kick, the steel toes in his boots made a dull ringing sound as it connected with the body, he took another slow puff of his cigar, regarding the body critically before turning towards the man guarding the captives.

"This one will be a guard, the others..." Looking down at the other three with slight disgust, taking in another breath and blowing out a smoke ring, "... barely above scrap metal, sell 'em, whole or parts, I don't care, just get 'em out of 'ere." The man nodded curtly, signaling several other slavers forward; who then began to lift the bodies up and take them away. The one destined to be a guard made a sound and moved towards the head slaver, making a pathetic yet pleading grab for his feet.

"Please! We are aware, just as you are, we have done n-" The slaver's boot hit the robot's head with a heavy ringing sound sending it flying back to the floor.

"Programme him to keep quite, it's a guard, it doesn't need to speak to me." He said without turning back to look at the frightened robot.
The robots were lined up and were led towards another part of the compound, one of the three classified as scrap looked around dully, it's eyes dim as it vainly tried to register what was happening before going back to walking, thinking whatever thoughts a robot might think. Around the compound a few human slaves wandered, completing whatever tasks they had been assigned, one robot stood looking out of the compound sighting along a large gun awaiting any enemies. Here and there were large tents, the sound of rough laughter and whispered conversations as the slavers conducted their business.
The robots were led into a small metal building, and as the robots stood milling around, a large heavy door was closed behind them, sealing them in darkness.

The term robot comes from a greek word meaning slave, and that's just what prospect many of the denizens of the aftermath of the event face, whether they are robot or human. The Wrex are an army of slave traders who roam from place to place looking for future captives or those who will buy from them.
Mainly scavengers by nature the slavers go into deserted areas to salvage whatever resources or capture isolated groups of survivors, they do possess a high level of technology, although it is not shared throughout the army. The Wrex have a relatively large number of engineers and technicians in their service, enabling them to capture and reprogramme them as well as strip them of whatever technology and resources they can for the slavers themselves to use.
To the slavers, despite all the advantages they have over humans, the robots are expendable, either to be sold or used as infantry. Human slaves are rated slightly higher as there are fewer being found outside of the more advanced areas of remnant civilization.

The Wrex army is made up of four main types of units, the slavers, the peons (human slaves), the pawns (one group of robot slaves) and the guards (another group of robot slaves).

The Slavers:- They are the highest ranking amongst their roving armies, using the tech stripped from their captives they have superior weapons such as high powered beam weapons and protective armour, however in any skirmish there is generally only one, he commands the slaves and without him there is a high chance that they will revolt or be unable to know what to do or other possibilities.

The Peons:- The only human slaves allowed to fight, they have surrendered enough to the slavers to be trusted not to fire upon their allies as long as a slaver is there to watch over them. They carry lower tech weapons, such as old rifles, pistols or whatever munitions they can find, the same applies for armour. There are more of them than slavers but only a small number per squad.

The Pawns:- Barely more than cannon fodder, these are the robots who have defective programming or corrupted AI databanks or other problems, they are stripped of materials and tech until they have enough to move around and fight, they are then equipped with either close combat weapons such as large blades or close range weapons like flamethrowers, failing that they are simply equipped with explosive devices and made into suicide troops. These robots are fast, and there slightly more of them in a skirmish than peons, but have little in the way of defense since the slavers don't want to waste resources on troops they expect to die.

The Guards:- The more advanced and well conditioned robots, they are more rare and there is usually only one or two in a skirmish, they come in two types, the hammer guards who are equipped with high tech weapons, such as sniper rifles but have little defense; and the anvil guard who are loaded with armour, shields and whatever protective gear can be fixed to them, they are assigned to protect the important slavers and are basically moving cover for a slaver and his peons. The guards usually have fully or almost fully functioning AI, but due to the programming they receive from the Wrex technicians they are unable to harm their captors and become either sullen and depressed at their hopeless situation or become bloodthirsty, looking to kill any human that their programming doesn't stop them killing.
The pen is mightier than the sword...and a lot easier to write with.

sinister707
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: The Wrex

Post by sinister707 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:48 pm

what game are you dirrecting this toward? it sounds really good and i liked the story. it could go either warhammer40k or warmachine i think
~NECRONS FTW!!!~

I'm the weapon they can't outrun

Mattman154
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Post by Mattman154 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:16 pm

sinister707 wrote:what game are you dirrecting this toward? it sounds really good and i liked the story. it could go either warhammer40k or warmachine i think
This is for the game that MWG is creating called Primal Horizon.

sinister707
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by sinister707 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:43 pm

that would make sense. ive seen the youtube videos and it looks amazing
~NECRONS FTW!!!~

I'm the weapon they can't outrun

Return to “Faction Ideas”