It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ex-military
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:23 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

My idea for a faction is based around the collapse of general military structure/etc. not sure about all that thought as i've been too lazy to read up on the history and i probably should of done that before deciding to post this but.. we'll see...

An entire battle-group of of some random nation survived the event and their camaraderie holds them firm together as a fighting force. They don't have the technological prowess of the shield, but they are a step above the marauders as they have been trained in the maintenance and creation of weapons/etc.

They fight just to keep each other alive, no real goal outside of just getting by. nothing else matters to them, they're soldiers, and they only have each other now. As such, they'll retreat if they take too many losses

They feature specialized teams for performing roles instead of generic "ranged squad" "melee squad" stereotypes. such example would be an MG team, 2-3 men, one with an MG while the other carries things like ammo, tri-pod, optics and the possible third for radio communications and co-ordination. Sniper Teams in the form of shooter and spotter, assault teams brandishing grenades, and pistols/machine pistols. Generic riflemen type squads do exist, but fill a more utility roll as i guess they'd be the ones that hold objectives, build barricades. More like Combat Engineers than anything.

Also have scout teams, again 2-3 men that may infiltrate into the board, are armed with submachineguns and can probably set traps. generally fragile/weak they focus on explosives and stealth to sneak around and hit them where it hurts. not sure how this can be balanced though.

Also, prefer mobility and range avoiding melee or extremely close confrontations, their vehicles (if incorporated) being either transports or light vehicles with heavy weapon mounts.

Instead of an entirely different faction, they could be taken as merc's, i guess... can take a 2-3 teams, or something.

less of a gameplay and more of a fluff look, they are nomadic, wandering about the world scavenging things. Generally not aggressive, they'll avoid a conflict if they can, but are very well prepared to fight if directly threatened.

thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Ex-military
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:46 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
The biggest problem with this idea is that anyone who was in the military before the event, would be 90 years old at best, and more likely into their 100s, if they were alive at all. They wouldn't really make a very effective fighting force ;) Basically speaking, anyone currently alive on Earth is the child, grandchild, or great grandchild of someone who survived the Event.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:26 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Dang they sounded kinda cool

I guess you could say they are the sons and daughters and so on of that battlegroup, they'd be 'exclusive' towards other factions

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

Andypenguin wrote:
Dang they sounded kinda cool

I guess you could say they are the sons and daughters and so on of that battlegroup, they'd be 'exclusive' towards other factions

Sort of like the Brother Hood of Steel from FallOut?

The idea is the men and women in the battle group stayed together, and taught there children how to be soldiers, mechanics, ect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

I suppose, I never really got into fallout

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:31 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
Perhaps a coalition of many soldiers from a few different nations who gradually grouped together in the aftermath of the event. They raised their children in the surviving military bases. The only thing these men and women know is soldiering. They fight hard but also know when to quit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Regular

In Fallout the Brotherhood of steel was Xenophobic. In the sence that they did not trust outsiders. To be in the Brotherhood of steel you had to be born into it. They were also very isolationist and only came in connect tack with outsiders when recovering old tecnology was evolved.

They did not like the people who lived in the waste lands. Seeing them as squanders who would rip apart and destroy the surviving tec causing it to be lost forever.

Elements of this could be incorporated into the Ex-Military faction.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

would be neat but would that not make them simuliar to the shield in ways with them being a army orintated group. Killer thoughts in there though.