A Faction Idea. Ronin Sky Pirates. (The Umbral Fleet.)

Got an idea for a cool Primal Horizon faction? Post it here!
Exin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Re: A Faction Idea. Ronin Sky Pirates. (The Umbral Fleet.)

Post by Exin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:30 pm

ps: what has the botom drawing has to do with anything?

dingpong
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: A Faction Idea. Ronin Sky Pirates.

Post by dingpong » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:13 pm

blackvaultz wrote:thats cooler than the moon faction idea but good luck with that :mrgreen:
I think the moon idea is better because you can attack and then be attacked so its more reasonable and heres a question for DLucky - How will they get the fuel to fly around in their airships?
480 - Space Marines (i'm nooby i know)
Welcome To Pwnation
http://www.youtube.com/shadowmarinearmy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 pm

dingpong wrote:
blackvaultz wrote:thats cooler than the moon faction idea but good luck with that :mrgreen:
I think the moon idea is better because you can attack and then be attacked so its more reasonable and heres a question for DLucky - How will they get the fuel to fly around in their airships?
Cows, obviously.
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Exin wrote:ps: what has the botom drawing has to do with anything?
It was one of KoKo's latter concept drawings. Well the top ones were early photo shop collages from many diffrent sources. Witch in all honesty I like the early look more.
dingpong wrote:
Erm.... I'm not sure how many of the current factions could get to the moon ATM to attack them. So I think that's bit of a mute point.
>__O

Taking some ideas from the Sea pirate idea.

They could be allied to some group based on a remote archipelago. The main industry of this archipelago would be agriculture and the production of ethanol. Here the Umbral would refuel and resupply. In return the framers on this archipelago enjoy protection, and enjoy the great wealth that Umbral bring back to the ports.

It could be be compared to the "pirate ports" in the Caribbean. Both benefited from the other and it was a mutual benefit to all parties.

I would think the main crops grown on this island chain would be Wheat, rice, and Citrus Fruit. Also the growing techniques used would be able to be quite advance thanks to the Umbral who are able steal the best equipment and kidnap the best engineers they would need to use and repair said equipment. Soul Powered Water Purification plants for example.

DooldeenBoosh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by DooldeenBoosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 am

Having these refuelling posts would make them more vulnerable so it is a good idea, this means that other armies would be able to initiate couter attacks or avange their fallen.

With the Moon Faction they want to recover earth, so this would mean that they would start to support settements with their technology and use them as permanent bases of operations in exchange of supplies and possible labor force. So if these settlements would be lost they would loose contact with Earth, again this makes them more vulnerable.

Thecrazydwarf
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #7

Post by Thecrazydwarf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 am

To me they look too fat and too weird.
All my posts are written on my ipod touch.
The eleventh commandment: go, and make terrain!
"When in doubt, attack." - General George Patton

DooldeenBoosh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by DooldeenBoosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:02 am

Fat? I mean weird probably but fat? And they gotta look a bit odd as their whole outfits are made up of rags and pieces of cloths theygathered randomly. Their looed stuff need to be a bit modernised, they would defenatly wouldn`t have a bolt action rifle for example.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:05 pm

DooldeenBoosh wrote:Having these refuelling posts would make them more vulnerable so it is a good idea, this means that other armies would be able to initiate couter attacks or avange their fallen.

With the Moon Faction they want to recover earth, so this would mean that they would start to support settements with their technology and use them as permanent bases of operations in exchange of supplies and possible labor force. So if these settlements would be lost they would loose contact with Earth, again this makes them more vulnerable.

Fluff wise a force doesn't HAVE a "blind spots". Tyranids and Dark Eldar from Warhammer 40k are the best examples. You don't attack them, they attack you.

But fluff wise they can still be defenders fluff wise. Since them being a defender represents there enemies making a counter attack. or they took a insulation and are now defending until they have taken what they want. It makes them sound less like monsters and more like fun loving pirates. Witch is NOT what these guys are.

But I could understand wanting this fluff, as it would explain the nitty gritty about how the fleet operates. And it's probably important for that to be explain instead of leaving plot holes in there fluff, and could even lead to even more cooler fluff since everything is being flushed out right from the beginning.

As long as fluff wise the other factions for the most part if most of the other factions don't know about these islands, and there fluff concentrates on demonizing them. That I think it will work out GREAT in the end.

:D

There for it's important to understand:

-The towns are NOT THEIRS. They are just allied with the towns. The Towns folk are accualy unnerved by the untalkative Umbral. Even when in these friendly towns the umbral wear there masks and weapons. They never show force, and are always respectable to the towns people. For they are honor bound to protect the people of there town.

-Umbral live there whole lifes on there ships. From Cradle to Grave. The Towns folk are unnerved by the Umbral. They know the Umbral will not hurt them, but know they easily could. A Pact with the Devil so to say. As long as they hold up there end of the bargain with the Umbral, the Umbral will hold up there end of the bargain.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Just came up with a idea for some new peice of special wargear for the Umbral.

A smoke machine that spew toxic gas into enemy units blinding them. It could be a flamer style weapon with a special rule that instead of killing the enemy unit it pins them, and gives them negative modafiyers when strikeing in close combat.

The idea is the smoke only effects the enemy who are now consended with covering there faces from the toxic fumes witch are now burning there eyes and mouth. Since the Umbral's Bird/Gas/Plague masks they are protected from the gas.

So the idea is a weapon that doesn't out right kill, but improves the killyness of your other units.

Another piece of Wargear you could give your guys would be repel lines. If a whole unit if equipped with repel lines they can make a "Rapid insertion" move, and get bonuses that help them climb vertical terrain. What a Rapid Insertion could be in game I'm not sure quite yet. I'm thinking something like Scout or Infiltrate like in Warhammer 40k. *Shrugs*

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Or it could be a large template grenade, seeing as if it uses a flame thrower template, you might as well bring a flame thrower.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 am

Fusebox45 wrote:Or it could be a large template grenade, seeing as if it uses a flame thrower template, you might as well bring a flame thrower.

So it would be like. A Large Blast templet.

But instead of killing the enemy it just forces pinning checks.

I think that could be pretty awesome and add to the flavor of the army.

Also some sort of Fear of Psychology rule when there in CC would be pretty cool to. To represent the fear they strike in the enemy, and the fact they have perpetuated the myth that they are no longer human, but demons and devils incarnated on earth.

Right now thow this idea means there would only be at the most two types of infantry types. Thows geared for shooting, and thows geared for CC.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Another Gear Idea. A special mask with a Megaphone wired into it to amplify the wearer's battle cries.

Well the weapon doesn't kill, it's part of the Terror tactics employed by the umbral to break the moral of the enemy. If the wearer is in assault the enemy will get modifiers that make them more likely to flee in terror.

I'm trying to think of more "Terror weapons" that could ad to the feel of the army.

I'm not a great writer but tried to come up with something is describe a Umbral attack. Sorry for my bad grammar and spelling.

It was a dark night, and all was quite. The shield soldiers stood in silence, just another slow night of guard duty in there lowly out post. That was. Until they came.

Sickly fingers of black stabbed at the sky and bloated out the stars. The soldiers looked up to see the moon vanish as there world was plunged into the blackest of darkness.

The solders looked to the sky in confusion as the low laughter boomed threw the night. Musical cords with a distinctive metal pitch could be heard all around them. The devilish music blasted and suddenly the loud crack of rifle fire began to sound. From the night hard tipped bullets stated slamming into there Armour. chunks of cremit flying off there bodies in deadly sprays of shrapnel. There were getting gunned down. But form wear? They tried to find cover but it was no use. They were surrounded and being gunned down.

Suddenly the fire stopped. The darkness increased ten fold as the sickly blackness surrounded them. Any men not wearing air filters found them selves dropping there weapons to grab there necks. Gasping and gagging for air. Thow who were it did very little good as there eyes and skin burned.

From the darkness cries of blood lust cackled threw the night. Spray of vivid red blood contrasting in the black flying across the night with a flash of steel. Now the real slaughter has started.

The music picked up on a feverish childish tone. Like a demented child's play song it played as the Shield soldiers found them selves being picked off one by one. Caught in the open all they could do was wait for there necks to be slit next. The psychotic laughter of there killers filling the cool night air.

The next morning the sun rose. The scene was grisly.

Every body was decapitated, and there heads stacked into a huge pile and set a blazed.

The mutilated bodies of the commanders were propped up, and posed giving a salute to all thows who entered. The Body of some unknown srg. was posed to point into the court yard. Here the bodies and blood were carefully arranged into piles. Piles that Spelled "Umbral".

The Demons of stuck agien. The only witness they left was a poor man with his tong cut out, and hands cut off. So he can never truly tell the world of the horror he has seen.

Return to “Faction Ideas”