Cover

If you have questions about the rules in Primal Horizon, please post them here.
Joey
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Cover

Post by Joey » Fri May 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Right so this game does look pretty sweet. Now i do have a problem with it though.

The main thing involved with the game is cover. When you think of tactics, cover is the main thing which everyone needs to think about, so if people are trying to find out what your plan is, it's obviously the cover near them.

Cover should just be a little good/bad thing in the game.

I'm not too sure though, i just thought the cover thing is a bit too much "cover" :lol:

Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Cover

Post by Apa1994 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

I like the idea of a cover-based game.

Imagine real life.
If you´re out in the open you can be sure you will here bullets!

DavicusPrime
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri May 29, 2009 2:38 pm

I really like the way this game simulates the reality of morale in a fire fight. It's more than, will I run away or not. It's about putting your opponent's head down so you can manouver.

Cover and obscuring terrain are a huge part of that, but there's also the impact of suppression too.

I played paintball for several years, a couple of those years competativly. The concepts I learned in that appear to be well simulated by the Primal Horizons rules as demonstarted so far in the demo game vids.

The main thing you want to do if you couldn't directly hit your opponent was get him to put his head down. The moment your opponent ducks they lose sight of you and have to take precious seconds to regain thier aim when they try to reemerge. This alone is nice but now add in a flanking move by your teamates. While your opponent is suppressed by you, your teammates move up in either flanking or pincer manouver to negate the target's cover. Either the opponent falls back or he hunkers down waiting for their inevitable end.

In escense the units work together to make "cover" for the other teams. Hence the term coverfire.

The system mechanics in Primal Horizon seem to be heading in this direction and I'm liking what I've seen.

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Arkeon
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Arkeon » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:09 pm

I play paintball too, and I totally agree with you DavicusPrime. Also, this game reminds me a lot of gears of war, being cover-based. I bet if someone were to make a mini-war-game of Gears of War, it would be almost exactly like this. Anyway I love the concept, I can't wait until the figures are out.

Return to “Primal Horizon Rule Questions”