Flame weapon UPDATED WITH A SECOND QUESTION

If you have questions about the rules in Primal Horizon, please post them here.
Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Flame weapon UPDATED WITH A SECOND QUESTION

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:04 pm

I recently read the rules for flame weapon, and then checked the faction papers.

I discovered that the bandits flamethrower has a range of - , which I know means you place the template touching the mini.

But the shaman in the Galagido faction (nice namne btw) has a flame weapon with a range of 18".

Jusr for clarifying, how do I make that shot? Do I place the template were I want it to be withing 18 inches of the mini?

This isn´t stated in the rules (or at least as far as I´ve read).
Last edited by Apa1994 on Wed May 27, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Flame weapon

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Good catch. I'll clarify here, and include it in the next update.

Basically you measure how far you want to shoot, then place the flame template anywhere within 12 inches (it's 12, not 18) with the small end facing the Shaman and the large end facing away from the Shaman. Everything else is then treated as a flame weapon.

Matthew

Apa1994
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Flame weapon

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Ok, thanks for that answer, I will make another question in this topic since I´ve already made two. :mrgreen:

If a squad must retreat due to failed morale test, and no matter what way they run, they will come closer to the enemy, what way do they run then?

It would be fun with something like a "gone crazy" rule.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Flame weapon UPDATED WITH A SECOND QUESTION

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Good point. I'll have to put some thought into this one.

The only reason anything runs is because the Leader is dead and they aren't in close combat. Maybe if there are enemies nearby they will rally and fight, but with penalties as they are scared.

Matthew

Apa1994

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Or if they have shooting weapons they will stand were they are and shoot at anything that comes close. :twisted:

smasher2256
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by smasher2256 » Wed May 27, 2009 8:09 pm

Apa1994 wrote:Or if they have shooting weapons they will stand were they are and shoot at anything that comes close. :twisted:
That would be funny, kinda like a Chaos Dreadnought's Fire Frenzy.

Cyber_Spud
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cyber_Spud » Sat May 30, 2009 7:10 am

How about they all try and shoot each other? And the survivors go on a blood lusting crazy assault and close combat the closest unit.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:49 am

As long as we're throwing out suggestions...

A. Hows about they all lose their honor and disembowel themselves?

B. Or they could run to a cover (Sportsmanship is important here) but, it has to be the most safe position.

C. Or you could role a scatter dice and a d12. In whatever direction and whatever distance (in inches) from anywhere on the board you could place a 7" template. Models completely covered are killed on 7+. Models partially covered are killed on 5+.

I would go with C. ;)
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Jombo
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Jombo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 am

Do you measure the range to the close end, or the far end. I'm assuming close, but I just want to make sure. :wink:
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:00 am

Its usually you measure the distance and at that point you place the narrow end of the flame template with the wide end following the original path.

Here's a very basic visual reference.
----<
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:15 am

The narrow end.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 am

I see it like the Hell hound from the imperial guard, you measure (instead of guess) and then BOOM, the unit gets toasty.

Ironblood
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ironblood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 pm

so IF i understand this: a 12" flame weapons in reality has a ~20" range including the length of the tamplate?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 am

Right, but most Flame Weapons won't have a range, since the spray starts at the base. The 'Magic Flame' is a very particular type of shell - and if it was listed with a 12" range, it could technically hit a guy up to 20" away.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:56 am

I was playing Rome Total War the other day... I was a bit too aggressive and got one of my legionary units surrounded. The point was they were surrounded and they fought to the death.

Maybe instead of running in a random direction they should fight to the death. Its not like they would last long anyway when they are being shot at from all directions.