To hit question

If you have questions about the rules in Primal Horizon, please post them here.
Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

To hit question

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 am

Ok, I havn´t played a game yet, but!

When I was reading through the rules I discovered that the shooting was a bit confusing.

Lets say I roll a 4 on a D12 to hit with a rifle, I then subtract the shooters shooting skill, which in this case is 0. The target is laying down, Shall I add the 2+ or subtract them, since it doesn´t make any sens if the weapon hits on a 8+.

I guess it is supposed to be the other way, you add the S of the shooter and then subtracts any modifiers that makes the shot harder, and add when it is a modifier that makes it easier?
Last edited by Apa1994 on Wed May 27, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Feedback- Apa1994

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 am

If the modifier is a +2 then it makes the shot harder. If it is a -2 then it makes it easier.

For example, if you are shooting a sniper rifle (4+ to-hit) at a guy with an AV or 1 in heavy cover (+3 cover) then you would have to roll 8+ to kill (4 + 1 + 3).

Matthew

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am

I think I misunderstood your question. The modifiers are to the to-hit, not to the die roll.

You first calculate what you have to roll to hit, then you roll (no modifiers to the roll).

Matthew

Apa1994
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Then it is a lot more clear, perhaps you should make that a little more clear in uppcomming versions?

DavicusPrime
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: To hit question

Post by DavicusPrime » Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 pm

This reminds me a lot of old school battletech and carwars even... you have a base to-hit target number based on the shooter's skill. Then you add/subtract modifiers to it based on range, cover, target speed, firer's speed. The resulting number became the new To-Hit Target number and you made the roll.

A big difference was those other games used 2D6 which has a different statistical distribution than a D12. In PH's case getting a 12 is just as likely as any other number on the die. With a 2D6 your highest probable result is 7 and decreases as you diverge from 7. So in PH needing a 12 is a 1/12 probability while that same shot in those other games would be 1/36 probabiltiy.

But I digress...

I think the attempt to reduce dice rolls is a good idea, but it does require some mental effort calculating all the modifiers. It'll be slow in the first few games but I expect it'll move quick once you've got the basics in your noggin. Reference sheets will be a requirement. :)

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

DooldeenBoosh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: To hit question

Post by DooldeenBoosh » Fri May 29, 2009 3:28 pm

Maybe you will need a reference sheet but if everything could be put on an A4, piece of paper, as there are only a few dice rols, that would make thing much simplier, so you wouldn`t have to flick through the rule book to check out this and that.