Rules Tested

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
14ascheck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Rules Tested

Post by 14ascheck » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:21 pm

I played a few games with my 'Nids (which screwed up LOS a tiny bit,) against my friend's CSMs, and we thought it was great. The D12 system is fantastic, and works quite well, especially with all those modifiers. Also, close combat is hard. I mounted several charges and was blown apart halfway over. You'd have to hop skip across cover. Also, overwatch is brilliant. My friend killed half of my 'Nid 'Marauders' with it; they collapsed as they advanced.

I actually did try to hop skip the cover in the second game; overwatch makes it really tough. I moved into their area to try to get closer and suddenly I'm being hit from all sides.

I'd say you need an elite faction like the Space Marines, one that's really diehard.

Also, I almost want to say it's good like this, don't add vehicles and stuff. It's much more skirmish-y that way.

On the whole, it's sweet.
Tyranid Hive Fleet Tempest - 2,700 Points and growing...
Tau - 176 points (Slow but steady...)
92% of teens (and 'young folks') have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

zuzu
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Re: Rules Tested

Post by zuzu » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:43 pm

if you didn't, try using some flash and smoke grenades while advancing towards enemy lines... helps a bunch.

on the rules, i like them more than 40k... 40k is great for large scale, but it lacks in areas. so far, the rules for PH are well done. my friends and i have enjoyed the view games we've set up.
Chaos Space Marines--4,000pts
Chaos Daemons--1750pts
Orks--1500pts
Fantasy
Warriors of Chaos--2250pts
Skaven--1500pts
Primal Horizen
Hopefully Shield

14ascheck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by 14ascheck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Ya, we started slow and I haven't tried them yet. I'll do that soon. Yeah, 40K is way cool on a large scale, but I've always liked how well you get to 'know' your squads in skirmish games.
92% of teens (and 'young folks') have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

14ascheck
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by 14ascheck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:46 pm

OK, I've got some good and bad news.

The good news is that I playtested with several different setups, and it worked out, except for one thing....

The bad news: I may be speaking to early, because we only played two games, but I really think that with cover, all the weapons, and everything, the math is to time consuming. My other friend, who was playing for the first time, had to run through several demos before he even started to work without the rules in front of his face. I suggest you try to slim it down a little, if at all possible. It's fine for long games like D&D, but this is a tabletop game and a bit tougher.