Thoughts on supression

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Thoughts on supression

Post by CptKracker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:09 pm

In the rules it says that when a squad is supressed and in the line of sight of an enemy that they NEED to move to the nearest cover. It seems a lil' strict and could take away some strategy. I found it a pain to deal with while bum rushing but it doesnt seem like its a an important peice to gameplay. andi believe even if you made it so players didnt have to move to cover, they will try to move their squads to cover next turn anyways. What are your thoughts of changing it to that if your squad is supressed and in enemy LoS it is much harder for then to shoot enemies?
-CptKracker

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Re: Thoughts on supression

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 pm

If you're walking down the street, and I start unloading a rifle in your general direction, do you:

A) hold still and take it, or
B) jump behind the nearest car/dumpster/bus stop/crowd?
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Big Mek Geargutz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by Big Mek Geargutz » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:43 pm

i stand and take it cause.........I AM A MAN!!! but honestly it makes perfects sense that you would fall back to cover unlike in 40k where its oh no 25% of us jus died should we dive into that building? no run across this field and then if we belive were far enough away turn around and run back.
"Bringer of death, speak your name. For you are my life, and the foe's death" - Litany of the Lasgun

Khornate
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Khornate » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Id Fall Down Because I Got Shot :wink:
Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:55 pm

The other thing to remember is that for the most part, the characters in Primal Horizon aren't career soldiers - they're fairly regular people, struggling to survive. Being shot really lowers their chance of survival ;)
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:56 pm

I AM A MAN! ADAMANTIUM RAAAAAGE!

But yeah, they're going for realism here, and I sure as hell wouldvn't be standing in that street... Actually I'd still be at base making everybody lunch.

DooldeenBoosh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by DooldeenBoosh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:26 am

Maybe a second morale check could be taken if you want to advance, representing the way the character in the squad is trying to move his/her team across suppresing fire, with negative modifiers depending the amount of hits scored on the team.

bobkian
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by bobkian » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 am

maybe if you are suppressed you automaticly go to ground or fall over.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:45 am

DooldeenBoosh wrote:Maybe a second morale check could be taken if you want to advance, representing the way the character in the squad is trying to move his/her team across suppresing fire, with negative modifiers depending the amount of hits scored on the team.
That's not a bad idea. The only problem is that if you are pinned or suppressed you are not allowed to move, so the morale check would be "Should we stay here in the open?"

Really the morale check has already been made in the enemies shooting phase, so extra checks are rather redundant.

Matthew

CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by CptKracker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 am

Well my whole reason for asking about this is for this reason: You try to send a squad across a street and they cant move enough so they get stuck in the middle, and then the enemy blasts at you. Are you going to drop back 3 inches to the nearer cover or 3 inches away from the cover to get outa their line of sight (though the squad wouldnt be in cover)? Or is that considered cover?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:14 am

That would be considered cover. The rule basically states that you can't move towards any enemy unit, but other than that it is up to you where you go.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:09 am

Actually the on turn morale check would make sense - you make a test on your leaders Morale and if you pass your allowed to move forwards other then backwards in your "find cover" move. This would only work say if you could move to cover better or equal to 2+ or something like that - representing the unit scrambling through the hail of fire to work their way into a better position.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:13 am

I think sportsmanship would need to be put into daily supplements before this would work with some people. It would need some tweaking but I think it could work, not to mention I think its cool.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?