Thought on blasts used as sniping?

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
corruptor
Now we're getting somewhere...

Thought on blasts used as sniping?

Post by corruptor » Fri May 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Just a thought here-
You allow those not under the blast to be removed to prevent any abuse of the blast weapon being used as a Sniping weapon. If your firing a blast weapon you intend to target a specific area and I assume if a character is there and you place the template over that character that must be on purpose and with drift it seems to me that sniping would be less of a concern.

In 40K an explanation that everyone is running around (Not static makes sense) if you hunkered down in cover then you are not moving and thats where I struggle with this and if your the poor guy trying to hug the ground and pop up and shoot and thats where something explodes then..... I just don't see how ya dodged it.

That said I appreciate the attempt at a more realistic vision of combat.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Thought on blasts used as sniping?

Post by miniwargaming » Fri May 29, 2009 8:05 pm

It's more to keep game play balanced. Remember, we have to go for "realism" but only so far. If we made the game realistic, then there would never be balance.

Matthew

Silvester10528
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Silvester10528 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:49 am

I'm sort of torn on this point...

I can see how it makes sense to draw kills from the entire unit because the surviving memebers of the unit will move into position to fill in for the guys that died.

But I also agree that if I throw a grenade at a group it's becuase I am trying to eliminate the greatest threat and if that is where the character is, then the character should suck up wounds...

I think the scatter factor covers the potential of the blast missing the character entirely while still leaving the rest of the unit in danger. Yes, that leaves the door open for "sniping", but I think that gets balanced out with the character wound chart.

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sat May 30, 2009 1:59 am

Wounds are always resolved against the entire group, Character included. When you fire a blast template, you find out how many models in the Unit are hit, regardless of whether they hit a Character or regular model. For each Hit scored, a D12 is rolled, and the Character is hit on a 10+. In other words, you can't use a blast to specifically snipe a Character, but your opponent also can't choose to put all the wounds on the lesser models either.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

corruptor
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by corruptor » Sat May 30, 2009 2:10 pm

I see your point(s), maybe if the template is over the character it could favor a better chance of hitting the character, so now the character takes the hit on a roll of 9+ instead of 10+ since it was in blast range.

Edited to clarify my thoughts :)

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun May 31, 2009 6:03 am

To defend against those high powered splash weapons like RPGs or Mortars you could roll a scatter dice.

If it is a hit than the unit is hit with no cover saves. If it scatters, draw a line of best fit through the cover. If the arrow points in front of the cover than the weapon hits in front of the cover and kills are resolved as if the unit was in cover (hit modifiers). If the arrow points behind the cover then the weapon overshot. Roll a d3 to see how far it travels following the original path of the shot, not the scatter direction.

Please tell me if any of that needs clearing up.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 pm

They already scatter once when they're fired.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

mastrefix
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by mastrefix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 am

I think hes trying to say that instead of a scatter, Matt could use the "undershot-overshot" rule. That would make things more interesting and realistic because is someone fires a bazooka, it would'nt fly off to the left or right. also if an enemy unit is infront or behind the unit your firing at, it could be very tactical to miss. you could still use the scatter die but make it underfire or overfire or hit depending on which way the arrow is pointing reletive to the line of fire...

Think about it, i would like to see this, it's more realistic! :D

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:22 pm

I like the overshoot and undershoot idea, although I would only use that with rocket launchers, and not with grenades or grenade launchers as grenades have a tendency to bounce.

We'll playtest that and see how it works.

Matthew

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Yea, overshoot/undershoot is basically what I was saying. As soon as I get some 12ds I'll playtest it.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?