rabidgerbil feedback

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
rabidgerbil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

rabidgerbil feedback

Post by rabidgerbil » Wed May 27, 2009 3:13 pm

my first suggestion. I don't know if this is viable, or I missed it in your rules but if I may I'd like to suggest some kind of "heroic action" and "heroic save" that can let even a weak little guy make a lucky shot that can level a juggernaut or vise versa in some heroic survival "tough to kill" thing.

Maybe it could be incorperated into rolling a 1 or 12.

At first glance I also missed if you had some huge malfunction that might have a weapon blow up on the character himself. If thats too harsh for a main charactor maybe a second roll ater the roll of a one to see the level of the malfunction on a chart.

When I can get someone together with me I hopefully plan to play an "offical" game and give a report that is more "real"
Thus says the Rabidgerbil
Hey pal, can you spare a Warjack for a vagabond Warcaster down on his luck?

Red9
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: rabidgerbil feedback

Post by Red9 » Wed May 27, 2009 4:57 pm

They are still working out the bugs and doing a lot of tweaking. Don't make it more complicated by throwing in more useless rules.
Imperial Flak Armour, outdated since 1932.

Youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/user/TigerBrewed

Eyegowja'z Badmoonz
Wins: 62 Losses: 14 Ties: 16

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 5:09 pm

Careful now, let's play nice. ;)

We had thought of some rules for gun jamming, but not heroic actions. I'll put it on the "to consider" list for further play testing.

Matthew

arbust
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by arbust » Wed May 27, 2009 6:20 pm

hey matt may be you could do a video doing a walkthrough on the rules by playing so that the once that can't get some one to play with us get the idea of the rules in action
obiously if this is not an issue in you working

thx for all
bye =3
Archaon Rules!!!
"Blood for the blood god!!!!"
Chaos till dead.... then nurgle =P

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Already done. It should probably be posted tomorrow.

Matthew

Silvester10528
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Silvester10528 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:17 pm

I like "jam" rules that bugger up someones shooting and potentially causes them to lose a round of shooting while clearing the jam.

Normally I'm not too keen on "heroic" action rules, especially when tagged exclusively to specific characters. But one of the things I like about GW's IG fluff is that the "every man" can be a hero by raising to the occasion and pulling off some amazing feat - like in "Traitor General" when a handful of regular IG (veterans) take out a Chaos Space Marine in hand-to-hand combat.
Legends of the Old West has Fame and Fortune points that can be used to reroll a die or modify a die roll (I don't remember the specifics right now) as a Heroic Action; but these are in limited supply...

But...

I think any one figure (character or not) should be able to pull off a single Heroic Act once per game. Even if that is like 40K's Death or Glory or needing to tweak a sniper To-Hit or a dieing trooper pulling the pin on a grenade so that it explodes as the enemy is checking the bodies... or booby trapping a building to cover a fallball action...

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Thu May 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Silvester10528 wrote:I like "jam" rules that bugger up someones shooting and potentially causes them to lose a round of shooting while clearing the jam.
Blah! I hate jams! I remember playing second edition Warhammer 40k with the jam dice. I was lucky to get one shot off a game with those weapons :?.

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

Silvester10528
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Silvester10528 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I came into 40K during 4th Edition and play Bretonians for WFB, so no mis-fire dice for me.

A 1 in 12 change is half as likely as a 1 in 6...

Personally, I think the "Gets Hot" type of rule doesn't make a lot of sense. These are mass manufactured weapons using the same patterns and techniques for thousands of years, they should be nearly 100% consistent. In the real world, we nailed down firearms in a matter of a few hundred years between their introduction to Europe as a weapon in the middle medieval period (1300's?) to their standard issue as an infantry weapon in the colonial period (1700's).

In the modern era, jams are not very common because of consistent high quality manufacturing, but they do still occur. How often does a military weapon just blow up in a soldiers face? How often is that not operator error? Usually these types of occurances are limited to the R&D range at the manufacturer and are ironed out before they get presented to the military for potential acceptance.

Jams DO suck, but I think a jam on a 1 in 12 (or even the RISK of a jam) is realisitic; especially in a post-apocalyptic situation where a good portion of the ammunition is probably hand-loaded and not assembly line manufactured.

Maybe jamming could be one of the drawbacks to the Raider faction that could balance out ferocity in hand-tohancd or terror/stealth/gorilla (sp?) abilities, etc...

Cyber_Spud
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cyber_Spud » Sat May 30, 2009 6:35 am

Well everything I was going to say Silvester10528 said for me XD Elaborating on that, possibly the faction with the lowest quality weapons that are crudely made might have the jamming rule. But in return they might have cheaper weapons or slightly more powerful ones.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun May 31, 2009 5:48 am

On with the jamming... most weapons jam because they are not properly serviced or there is something obstructing the action. In a firefight your might get some mud on your weapon or dirt inside the clip.

Perhaps only when a unit is rapid firing can there be a jam. It would be pretty low, a 1 on the 12d was mentioned, but it could happen.

Or maybe jamming on particular weapons such as them machine guns. It would give the incentive to have a gunner in your rifleman squad and not a rifleman in your gunner squad; if you catch my drift.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Wattox8
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Wattox8 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 am

DracoAvian wrote:
Or maybe jamming on particular weapons such as them machine guns. It would give the incentive to have a gunner in your rifleman squad and not a rifleman in your gunner squad; if you catch my drift.
was there a no pun intended in there somewhere?
Word Bearers - 1000 points (growing)

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Not that I know of... Just trying to state that its not much fun when your enemy is sitting on a hill and you have no way to get at him effectively
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?