Beta Rules Tested

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
CFrankie
Now we're getting somewhere...

Beta Rules Tested

Post by CFrankie » Wed May 27, 2009 4:49 am

Alrighty, some things I noticed:

Rule: Every d12 that you roll that meets or beats the target to‐hit counts as a kill/hit for normal infantry models.

A standard Marine right now, carrying a Laser Rifle has a AP of 1 and TH of 6.

Conflicting Rule: Firing into Combat: No matter what kind of weapon you are shooting roll a d12 for each attack that every firing weapon in the squad gets. Every 7+ is an attack against the enemy, while everything else is an attack against your own squad. You must then work out all the attacks as normal.

Since ToHit and Damage are the SAME, AP of a weapon, The Unit's Firing Skill and Armour doesn't really play any role, until afterward - when I re-roll to hit my fellow soldiers or enemies. All of a sudden I am a crack shot at kicking my own teams butt. Not to say that blowing the heads off my own soldiers isn't funny, but the ToHit never takes into account the natural skill or ease of use of the weapon.

For example: A Sniper Gunner shouldn't be picking his friends off every time he pulls the trigger. Since his Skill and Weapon Ease are a LOT better. (ie. LOWER number) but if I bumble the ToHit the enemy roll the first time through, I have to PRAY my ultra sniper or armor eater doesn't hit the next time through with his easier to hit numbers.

I laughed my head off when I had 1 Character with 4 guys on him in Close Combat get picked off by a single sniper shot that tore him a new butt. Funny thing was, the Char was winning! The natural odds of me hitting my single person in a group of 5 is 1-in-5 (20%) with the current ruling I actually jump to 58% without any modifiers. I may be applying too much math here, but I bet later when Skills and Armor, Etc. are finally added - this is going to play hell with this rule. (*Perhaps a squad of lighter armored units with better Weapons and Skill - oh, like the WH40k's Tau's weapons, can hit harder and better - would seriously tear up it's own if it went from say hitting enemies at 70% to hitting friendlies at 42% and then eating them alive at 70%.*)

And the easier one:

I would rather have my Marines walking around with Light Machine Guns at a -5 MP to get a movement of 10 inches: (5MR-(-5MP)) = 10MR - Whoo! Hoo! Sign me up for all the heavy weapons! I know this is simply a Type-O but it sure made me giggle for a bit.

I think I may have rambled on into something different up there... it IS 3am here... I know it started out as a coherent thought.. perhaps I will re-read it later and edit it once I have slept.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: Beta Rules Tested

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am

That rule has been created that way for simplicity. Rather than having a huge table that says "If there are this many of your guys and this many of their guys roll this, but if there are this many of your guys and..." we opted to keep it simpler.

You'll find in the game that you'll often have a choice to shoot into close combat or at a squad not in close combat. Shooting into close combat is risky, hence the 7+ rule.
CFrankie wrote:I would rather have my Marines walking around with Light Machine Guns at a -5 MP to get a movement of 10 inches: (5MR-(-5MP)) = 10MR - Whoo! Hoo! Sign me up for all the heavy weapons! I know this is simply a Type-O but it sure made me giggle for a bit.
Good catch - I have updated the factions sheet to have the MPs be positive.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matthew

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 8:01 am

Oh, and standard soldiers don't have laser rifles. That's only the leader.

Matthew

Cyber_Spud
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Cyber_Spud » Sat May 30, 2009 6:55 am

Although its IS to hard to have a chart referring to if there are "this" many people in the squad then roll for "this" number, maybe you could base the models shooting skill around it, the job would still be risky, but slightly less risky.
Just like you do when shooting normally, subtract the persons shooting skill from the 7+. So if the models S was 1 then it would be 7-1= +6. Like CFrankie said, a trained sniper is going to have at least a little bit of a better aim then a normal trooper.