Beta Rules Tested

Want to play test Primal Horizon? Then check out this area.
Red9
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Beta Rules Tested

Post by Red9 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 am

This game has many similar features to Warhammer 40,000. There is an instinctive feel to this game, and that leaves us comfortable enough to play, and yet new and exciting for us to enjoy.

Me and my roommate ran through three quick games with the provided army lists, using all units with max squad caps.

Firstly, I noticed there are grenades for Marines, but it does not indicate which units have or can take them.

Overall, the point system seems very balanced. But what eludes me is why weapons cost points. Unless of course you have the option to switch out weapons for different ones, it may be better to count in the weapon cost with the squad total to save the player from doing more math.

Some rules I found a little difficult to comprehend. Such as "Running and Gunning", when you subtract M-MP (pg.5). If I wanted to fire my Marine Soldier's rifle with the maximum allowed movement, then is it 5-(-2)=7?
It took me and my friend some time to understand what you meant. It might be better to leave the MP as a positive number rather than a negative number to help players comprehend better.

Another problem was when I was testing out the Aliens. I could not find in the rules if whether I can use my Small Aliens as a screen to offer cover for the units behind them. Since I played Warhammer 40,000, me and my friend agreed that they should be offered a cover save as light cover (made more sense). But for those players that did not play any other tabletop games may also question this tactic. It would be helpful to note this somewhere in the Covers' section of the rules.

Morale is extremely simplified to that of Warhammer 40,000's, and yet still very effective. The mechanics behind morale is excellent, but it seems the Morale score for all factions are somewhat too low. Throughout the game it was common to see the Marines dive for cover everytime a bullet bounces off their armor.
Also, when a unit is forced to retreat, do they immediately fight as normal after they ran for dear life? Us 40k players may still have the idea in the back of our mind that we have to make a morale check to regroup.

Overwatch. This is such a great mechanic! My MachineGun-toting Marines would be positioned in a large open area. My opponent was too afraid to move his bandit out from behind cover. I personally would have to say that this mechanic is much too powerful, but if morale if raised slightly for each faction, no players will have to go to ground as soon as they leave cover...Especially if the unit with overwatch has a very powerful weapon.

This is what I had to say about the game. This was a very exciting game that me and my friend enjoyed. The rules are very concrete, but just a little tweaking and clarification can help for a much more exciting game.
Imperial Flak Armour, outdated since 1932.

Youtube account: https://www.youtube.com/user/TigerBrewed

Eyegowja'z Badmoonz
Wins: 62 Losses: 14 Ties: 16

Axalon
Gold Vault Member

Re: Beta Rules Tested

Post by Axalon » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 am

I think a good way to avoid the modifier confusion is to take a page out of D&D and have modifiers modify the dice roll and not the test. That way positives are still good and negatives are still bad. A bit easier on the mind.

CFrankie
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by CFrankie » Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 am

What I noticed is this: the negatives are a good thing (it lowers the number you have to get over) and the positives are a bad thing (exact opposite). So having LOWER numbers is the best way to be with modifiers: lots and lots of negatives.

I bet this is going to play fun fun happy times with weapon designs and armors, etc. a little later - making sure that the mathematics for each doesn't cause a serious advantage to one way or another.

Of course, that's what play testing is for. Making us Math people hurt our heads and go 'Doh!'

:D

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Wed May 27, 2009 7:53 am

Red9 wrote:Me and my roommate ran through three quick games with the provided army lists, using all units with max squad caps.
Wow, you guys are quick! When I went to bed last night I realized that I didn't indicate the squad sizes, just the number of each type of unit (it has been updated now). I thought "who's gonna play before the morning anyway? I'll update it then!"

Your games would have been much different if you played the right squad sizes, so you should definitely give it a go again.
Red9 wrote:Firstly, I noticed there are grenades for Marines, but it does not indicate which units have or can take them.
They had them before, but I've removed them for now for this series of play testing.
Red9 wrote:Overall, the point system seems very balanced. But what eludes me is why weapons cost points. Unless of course you have the option to switch out weapons for different ones, it may be better to count in the weapon cost with the squad total to save the player from doing more math.
I removed those to avoid confusion.
Red9 wrote:Some rules I found a little difficult to comprehend. Such as "Running and Gunning", when you subtract M-MP (pg.5). If I wanted to fire my Marine Soldier's rifle with the maximum allowed movement, then is it 5-(-2)=7?
It took me and my friend some time to understand what you meant. It might be better to leave the MP as a positive number rather than a negative number to help players comprehend better.
Good catch. I have changed the MPs to positive numbers.
Red9 wrote:Another problem was when I was testing out the Aliens. I could not find in the rules if whether I can use my Small Aliens as a screen to offer cover for the units behind them. Since I played Warhammer 40,000, me and my friend agreed that they should be offered a cover save as light cover (made more sense). But for those players that did not play any other tabletop games may also question this tactic. It would be helpful to note this somewhere in the Covers' section of the rules.
Even though they are called small aliens they are not very small. We do have rules for screening, but I forgot to add those to the rule book.
Red9 wrote:Morale is extremely simplified to that of Warhammer 40,000's, and yet still very effective. The mechanics behind morale is excellent, but it seems the Morale score for all factions are somewhat too low. Throughout the game it was common to see the Marines dive for cover everytime a bullet bounces off their armor.
The name "Marines" is a little misleading. It is just a name I threw in their for lack of a better name. They are better equipped and somewhat better trained (hence they have better morale than mos), but they are still human.

Also, don't think of pinning and suppression as "my squad is afraid!" think of it as a more tactical thing. Even marines will keep their heads down when a machine gun or sniper opens fire.
Red9 wrote:Also, when a unit is forced to retreat, do they immediately fight as normal after they ran for dear life? Us 40k players may still have the idea in the back of our mind that we have to make a morale check to regroup.
I should have clarified that - they immediately regroup.

Thanks for the feedback!

Matthew