Nappen's hills, lava and other terrain (indexed on page 1)

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Nappen's hills, lava and other terrain (indexed on page 1)

Post by Nappen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:20 pm

--------------------------------------
This has several different projects, so have decided to put a quick reference here in the first post listing start and completed pages. Updates, will of course, be scattered in between:)

Ruined fountian: Page 1
Badlands inspired Modular Hills: page 1-3
Graveyard Portal: Page 1
Dark Eldar Shrine: Page 2-3
"Just a Wall": Page 3-4
Harlequin Portal: Page 4
Barrels: Page 4
Additional Badlands Spires: Page 5
Train tunnel (by my 9 year old): Page 5
"Just a Hill": Page 5
Craters: Page 5
Relic Terrain Markers: Page 5
Desert Battle Mat: Page 5
Snowfield Battle Mat: Page 6
Lava River Game Board and Terrain: Page 6-7
Lava River Game Board Tutorial Link: Page 7
Two Bridges: Page 7
Modular Walls: Page 7
Modular Walls Tutorial Link: Page 8
Goblin Town Walkways: Page 8
Swampy Ruins: Page 9
Bloody Altar: Page 9
Dark Eldar Arena: Page 9
Trench Board: Page 10, completed 11
Charred GW Trees: Page 11
Tiny Campsite: Page 11
Simple Volcano: Page 12
Venice Board: Page 12
Honored Imperium: Page 13
Desert Buildings: Page 13
Snowy Trees: Page 13
Imperial Strong Point: Page 14
Skyshield Landing Pad: Page 14
3d Printed Well: Page 14
WWP: Page 14
Well of Sorrows: Page 15
Random 3D printed tank traps: Page 15
More on the Venice Board: Page 15-16
Crater with ruins: Page 15
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So, this last group build has really inspired me to take on some modular hills. Before GB 37 I had never worked with foam, made a hill or really done much terrain-I hear the gasps issuing from the Web :o

So, the plan is to make two or three sets of modular hills. The first will be more basic and will consist of four or five split hills that should give me the ability to make several table configurations. So far I have cut the foam for the first and largest hill.

Image I can tell you are impressed so far :shock:

I also started watching the terrain tutorials in the vault and decided to take a stab at the ruined fountian. Here is where I stand on that one.
Here it is primed in blackImage[

And here is the latest progress. Part way through the "decorations." The water is next...My 9 year old and I hope to do that tonight and then finish it up tomorrow.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Re: Nappen's Modular Hills and other stuff WIP

Post by Nappen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 pm

So, got some time this evening while diner was cooking and started some cutting. The intent is for cliff like hills for this group. Got the four bases cut out. Will even up the one edge later.
I then started tinkering with ideas for the tops and came up with this. Have not cut to shape yet, but will have one big ledge that hits all four and one small one that only is on two-am trying to maximize cut-offs.

Also, got the water poured in the fountian. I added some devlin mud wash to see if it would darken it, but did not add enough. The instructions say that the bubbles will come to the top and pop during the drying process. We will see. Here is the bubble full pic :) Will finish flocking it tomorrow.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Cut some more hills while waiting for the GB hill to dry. Also finished up the fountain this morning and will try and take some pics later after it completely dries.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 am

I like the big 4 part hill, must to that one day. So how are you going to paint it, what will you do with the verticles on the hills and are you going to base this or is pink foam strong enough?

Bugbait out

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:15 am

Because I move so much, I am planning on leaving it pink foamed-just for the weight. This set is going to be more of a canyon-I have a partially formed idea about that, but not sure I can pull it off. As for vehicles, I was not intending to do ramps to the main cliffs, but on the one that still has the squared top edges, I was going to ramp those for people who may use artillery etc. I play DE and starting Eldar, my son plays necrons and starting tyranids, so we are not vehicle heavy and use a lot of skimmers and jetbikes.

I have a plan for doing a similar set of gently hills with ramps and green grass in the future. BTW never, ever forget to wear your mask when band-sawing pink foam. I have a cold and pinkstuff is coming out. Yuck-should have worn my respirator-but didn't want to wait to charge it up.

Finished the fountian and will upload in a bit.
Last edited by Nappen on Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 am

Finished the fountain. Lots of fun to build though the bricks get a bit tedious. I used the fake flower water from the local craft store that is a two part resin. Looks like enough to do this about 6 or 8 times and cost 12 bucks. I added a couple of drops of devlin mud wash in it while mixing to muddy up the water a bit. Now I can concentrate on my hills and my GB project. One day I will need to paint some more models.

Sorry about the number of pics, was not sure how to show a round item any other way.
ImageImageImageImageImage

eNi
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by eNi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:12 pm

The well looks awesome! Keen to see the big hill as well.
My grounds. Where screams are flowers, and pain their fragrance
-Are any of these people available for questioning?
-Not unless you want to stick your head down a tyranid's throat and shout "anyone at home?"

Work In Progress

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Thanks, the big hill will probably take a while...

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:15 am

Did a little bit yesterday and got the cliff sides shaped. Except for one set I sat off to the side at one point and forgot about. What a mess this made-shavings and scrapings everywhere.

BAD
Gold Vault Member

Post by BAD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:42 pm

The fountain looks good. And the hills seem to be coming along nicely. Can't wait to see them done.
The Lannisters send their regards

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:57 pm

One Step Closer. I got mixed up some different texture sands and glued them down along with some rocks. Unfortunately that was the last of my sand from the gold slough runoff, which had great texture and lots of various sizes in it.

Next up priming. I found some returned brown paint and primer in one for 2 bucks, so am going to try that out on the small hill and if it looks okay will use that.

stephos
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by stephos » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Looking really good. I like your fountain water effect and the brick work looks sweet. Looking forward to seeing the hills complete :)

swedishchef
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by swedishchef » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:49 pm

Nappen - Care you share your secret to roughing up the hill edges like you did? Specific tool you used? I wanna rip this off SO BADLY.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:39 pm

I followed Blue's instructions in his easy terrain tutorial. here is the link.

http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... =7&t=43449

I am going for a different look, so my colors are different, but I used his color suggestions (mostly, sort of) in this months group build below.

ImageImage

and I painted the bottom of this pool dark green and then used light blue on the rough spots looking to make a rocky bottom effect.

For this group of hills I am testing the new color scheme on the small hill first and if I like it, I will do the rest that way. Here is the beginning of laying down the color. There is a lot of work to do on the rock face left.
ImageImage

stephos
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by stephos » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:18 am

Thank Nappen for explaining about the fake flower water, I was wondering how you made the water. It's given me an idea for a project. I love the fountain, it looks great. You and your 9 year old should be very proud :)

Return to “Wargaming Terrain”