Thin line CD cases-What are they good for?

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Thin line CD cases-What are they good for?

Post by Nappen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Please don't say...absolutly nothing... :D

Anyway, I was cleaning out my computer discs and I know people use old CD discs for basing terrain. Are there any ideas out there for what to do with the thin line cases? I have a stack of them, but not sure if it is worth hanging on to them or not. They are not the thicker ones, so not as good for paint mixing, I would think.

mmdehart
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Re: Thin line CD cases-What are they good for?

Post by mmdehart » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Glass maybe?

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:41 pm

I could make broken windows.

Mortivore
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Post by Mortivore » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Coasters
IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT

dragonianwolf
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by dragonianwolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 pm

besides for basing broken glass and so on you can use them as good painting plates
I use them for when I'm painting to brush of excess paint and to blend little bits of paint

oh maybe a little idea would be to paint them in a kind of way that the centre holds the cd in place looks like an alien breeding pit or an industrial shredder for dead body's or aliens... or maybe just use them for a base for a city terrain or something like that
what do you get when you take necrons and put them in orks
hmmm....
maybe necrorks (robotick soulless orks with the mind of orks)
my photobucket album

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 pm

I used one for mixing glue and water today to work on a peice of terrain. It is a start.

WandalfTheGhite
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by WandalfTheGhite » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Hmm, I would say cut it so it makes a circle and then maybe make it into a portal, you could make some really cool campaigns with that, like having two tables and having one portal get you to the other table or have a bunch randomly placed along the table and give them numbers (ex. 6 portals and have one to go to 1-1 2-2 3-3) and before the start of the game pull the numbers and it will tell where the portals lead to. Just an idea, for basing maybe cut them up into random pieces and have it as ruins or a cave floor with stalagmites poking out, hope this helps.
Wandalf's Lawn Care - "Weeds shall not pass!" - Shas Mechanicus

"Wandalf, I like you. You can stay" - Iggy

"Hufflepuffs are excellent finders."
SO. MUCH. WIN!!!!! I LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THAT! XD - Clabbage

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:47 am

So far I have just been mixing paint and glue in them. I guess there is no terrain to really make other than windows.

lupusj
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 am

I've cut panels out of the clear plastic to use for stained glass windows:

Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

Pheonix
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Pheonix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:31 am

WandalfTheGhite wrote:Hmm, I would say cut it so it makes a circle and then maybe make it into a portal, you could make some really cool campaigns with that, like having two tables and having one portal get you to the other table or have a bunch randomly placed along the table and give them numbers (ex. 6 portals and have one to go to 1-1 2-2 3-3) and before the start of the game pull the numbers and it will tell where the portals lead to. Just an idea, for basing maybe cut them up into random pieces and have it as ruins or a cave floor with stalagmites poking out, hope this helps.
I thought this was a really cool idea.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 am

agreed. I like the stain glass idea as well.

Ryan
Gold Vault Member

Post by Ryan » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 am

I know they make great Fantasy movement trays, I think they fit like 5x6 models? You could also use the as normal windows in buildings and a plate to hold dice or tokens on.
-Ryan Guzowski
9000 points points of Imperial Smurf Marines!!!!
Yay a full company!
4000pts of Empire