40k Terrain

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
BAD
Gold Vault Member

Re: 40k Terrain

Post by BAD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm

That's a great idea. I think I may just have to steal it. I'm loving the detail on the barricades, too. Especially the one with a chunk blown off it.
The Lannisters send their regards

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by IG_Guardsman » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 am

Looks amazing with all you other buidlings and terrain pieces coming together on that city board!
What did u use as material for the barricades - are they painted like that, or it's the material itself? It looks so concrete.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:10 am

thanks guys!

@IG - Made from 5mm foamboard, cereal box card and ice block sticks. Texture is from baking powder sprinkled over a coat of PVA watered down to a paint consistency. Under coated grey, artists sponge used to dab on dark grey first and then light grey.
While the glues dries before the powder is brushed off

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by IG_Guardsman » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Sounds so easy when you describe it bugbait_nz. The pictures look good - clear as day! Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas :) What's the lenght of the barricades - do you measure them with certain number of minis or just decide on a size and make them all like that?

aosol
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by aosol » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:24 pm

This is exceptionally well done and practical to accomplish. The little pieces of proclamation papers sell me all the way. I'm guessing you shrunk them down in Photoshop or something of the like.

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by bugbait_nz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 am

@A, posters are not mine, I got them from here and resized them slightly

@IG measures 16 cm across including ice block sticks, inspiration by Borderlands again, just as well Im not playing Halo anymore!

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by bugbait_nz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Using Borderlands again for inspiration, this time it will be Old Haven

5mm foamboard + cardboard + wire mesh hand rails + wire hand rungs + ali can put through a crimper.

Here are the first buildings of many.

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm

You must have borderland dreams at night :)

Looking good!

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by IG_Guardsman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Looks great! Can the buildings be opened- to put minis in as a game is played or the roofs are fixed?
I just love the way you make it look- so finished and perfect! The windows, every cut foam side covered by a cardboard rim, matching evenly and seamless- how do you cut the cardboard pieces so well?! I can't get them cuts clean and that's it... straight cuts are fine, but the curves are pain in the neck.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 pm

A good pair of scissors make exterior curves pretty easy to cut. Interior ones are a big tricky, but I usually use a sharp blade and take multiple passes at the cut. Additionally it is a good idea to err to the inside of the curve. If you mess up then you can always trim the cut.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

bugbait_nz
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by bugbait_nz » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks N

@IG, the rooves lift off, interior will get detailed one day.
All of the straight cuts I use draftsmans dividers to position a steel ruler and try to cut long strips so any errors are very small. I have a Number 11 scalpel blade that is very pointy for the window round cuts and go very slowly, it usually does the cut in one pass.

Made a small satellite dish out of a coke can base, still need a few more bits for it.

wanna993
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Post by wanna993 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 am

Really professional work in here. Very well presented and really clean, i love it