What to do with the big caps?-Now becoming a generator?

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

What to do with the big caps?-Now becoming a generator?

Postby Nappen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:15 am

Based on the group terrain build going on now, balangaz made a bunch of barrels out of soda bottle caps. They look great. See the thread here. viewtopic.php?f=132&t=72457

So I started collecting caps, and being a dad, I have a lot of juice and milk caps. So I glued up a few samples, did a quick grey prime to get rid of the colors so they could be compared well. So, there are a few sizes. The caps 2, 4, 6 are regular caps and are similiar to the barrels balangaz made.

So I thought I would tap into the collective creative think tank here to answer the question...what can the other size caps become...other than bigger, shorter barrels, that is.

...............milk.................coke.............gatorade.........water/soda...........juice...........soda
Last edited by Nappen on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday is better than the next...

DE: 9869pts/9869 painted llllllllll Fin!

DE WIP: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=76171
Terrain Log: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=80134

Marauder_Zero
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: What to do with the big caps?

Postby Marauder_Zero » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am

they could make pretty good wheels too if some stuff was slapped on the sides

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Postby Blue » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Turn the shorter ones on their sides so they're standing up and glue a few together to make some generators...
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Postby Nappen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Great Idea! I knew there was a reason to post the pic here :D

Maybe the next group build can be a bottlecap build :wink:

Nappen

Postby Nappen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:04 am

My first try at the barrels. I am not real happy with them.

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Postby balangaz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 am

Thank you for the compliment, the reason I'm on this community is to bring something to you guys and it's nice to know that someone liked it!

About the barrels, try to use a thick layer of base coat, you should leave brush marks, them when you dry brush it you'll get more details.

Also, the real beauty of this is on their numbers, get a bunch of the same barrels and glue them together and if you really want them, to shine use tissue paper to cover the set and paint it with some pastel tone.

Now, bottle caps can be pedestals for statues, double soda caps can be Fantasy wheels w/ shields as rims, the water/soda combo looks amazing as barrels, paint the lower portion yellow and the bottle one black, you'll get a nice toxic waste barrel. Also, someone said it on my build, you can use hot glue gun and make them drip green fluid.

Lastly, you can glue several juice combos with gatorade in between them, with foamcore to build the frame, and create a small version of the Star Wars shield generator for terrain.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

Nappen

Postby Nappen » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:38 am

Thanks for the ideas. I will continue to collect caps and see what I can do!

Nappen

Re: What to do with the big caps?-Now becoming a generator?

Postby Nappen » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Okay, so decided to go with the generator idea and am just getting started. So far I have just put together the main body.

I primed it grey, well, because I have some grey primer...

I left a smaller one in the middle on purpose, so yes it is off the table :)

Now I am trying to decide if I want to put them on legs or a riser type thing, or go with a more Hothesque type more sunken approach with it coming more out of a small building or the ground. So many options...

Return to “Wargaming Terrain”