Blue's Terrain *Update* 1/21/12*

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Re: Blue's Terrain

Post by A Luna » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 am

Looks good mate!
You're making me itch to make more terrain.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

doc069
Gold Vault Member

Post by doc069 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:25 am

Impressive, and lovely.

Lee
BA 20,000. 15,000 painted.
Orks 20,000 90% built and painted
GK 12,000 painted
SOB 5,000 25% built, 0% painted
Carcharodons (FW M.V) 3,000, 0% built
Star Phantoms (FW M.II, II, & IV), SW codex 5,000 some built 0% painted
DKOK (IG), 10,000, 0% built

azzerath
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by azzerath » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:58 am

Gah! Now I have to make some of those.

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Dude that desert terrain is just sick. BTW, trying to replicate desert stone with white styro, big mistake... Keep it up
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Blue wrote:1/2 inch MDF... Thought I was safe! :|
Something like that happened to me, but with the 1/4" plywood that I used for my gaming table :shock: Yea, don't underestimate the materials you are working with. That and Murphy's law. :P

Anyways, it looks pretty sweet. Are the foam surfaces really curvy? I guess I'm a little wimpy when it comes to anything other than flat-topped terrain. It probably has a lot to do with the blocks of troops used in WHFB. I love the columns sunk into the dune. A friend and I used to be HUGE Indiana Jones fans, I guess this project has tweaked some nostalgia nerve in me.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:59 pm

A Luna wrote:Looks good mate!
You're making me itch to make more terrain.
My plan is working then...
doc069 wrote:Impressive, and lovely.
Thanks doc.
azzerath wrote:Gah! Now I have to make some of those.
Good, very good....
Today MWG... Tomorrow the WOOORRRRLLLD!
balangaz wrote:Dude that desert terrain is just sick. BTW, trying to replicate desert stone with white styro, big mistake... Keep it up
Yea... LOTS of spackle.
DracoAvian wrote:Anyways, it looks pretty sweet. Are the foam surfaces really curvy? HUGE Indiana Jones fans, I guess this project has tweaked some nostalgia nerve in me.

Yeah, Indiana Jones! :)
And... Yes the foam surfaces and the mdf are both curvy. Some spackle to fill the gap and make it look smooth. It really makes the terrain bigger though having to allow the room for the slope.

Thanks guys!
Painted a test piece today. I was rushing and as a result went a little heavy on the drybrush. I think I should add one more HL.
What do you think?
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:05 am

It looks absolutely fantastic. It may be what you were going for, but the ground looks rather gravely (gravel-y). The grain of the sand looks large but it works here extremely well. It looks really good in contrast (and in comparison!) to the heavier large stones in the pieces. It would seem that there hasn't been enough erosion for a "dune sea" type setting. Then again... the only cool thing in the dune sea was the sarlac. There is a much cooler set of ruins in yours. An archeologist's dream.

I really like it. It reminds me of the "mushroom rocks" over in western Kansas. You know, minus the prairie grass :P

Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Blue
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 am

Wow, that's a cool pic!
Thanks and yes the sand is bigger due to erosion actually. Look up Hamada, it's a type of desert. Typically flat and mostly barren which allows the strong winds to carry the finer sand particles away leaving a very course rocky terrain.
Here is the piece with the extra HL of a Bleached Bone equivalent.

There's just something about the colors that doesn't work for me yet.
-I may leave out washing the sand with the rock color
-I may also wash the rock with a deep somber purple for some extra definition. Maybe even some burnt sienna...
-Maybe I should wash the sand with burnt sienna...
-????

What do you guys think?
Need some ideas here...

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:45 am

Just a quick reply before going to MMA practice; Either make the sand lighter and rocks darker or vise versa.
I think it's not working because it all looks so much alike (the colors). Also, to add in some more grey in the rocks would help... me thinks.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:11 pm

A Luna wrote: Either make the sand lighter and rocks darker or vise versa.
I think it's not working because it all looks so much alike (the colors). Also, to add in some more grey in the rocks would help... me thinks.
I agree bud, it was way too mono toned...
Here's the next test piece. Lots more separation form the rocks and sand now.
What do you think?

balangaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by balangaz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Much better, the separation between rock and sand made the piece more noticeable, A luna's was right about that.
Oi, ya git! Get ya lazy arse roight into our Group Builds! Be da best Mek and loot all da pieces!

A Luna
Gold Vault Member

Post by A Luna » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 pm

Looks great! Just not a big fan of the top segment. Looks a little odd with that tight border between sand and rock.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:51 pm

balangaz wrote:Much better, the separation between rock and sand made the piece more noticeable, A luna's was right about that.
Yep, thanks dude...
A Luna wrote:Looks great! Just not a big fan of the top segment. Looks a little odd with that tight border between sand and rock.
Yea, I noticed that too... I was thinking of dragging the color down a bit to help mesh that a bit more together...
Thanks for the help bud!

Which of the two colors here do you think would work better for the sand base color? The right is the color previously used and the left is the same mixed with some very pale green.

A Luna
Gold Vault Member

Post by A Luna » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:52 pm

I think the one on the right. More color variation and more depth can be added. They both look very desert-like. The left one looks more like a salty desert while the other reminds me of a really sandy/dry desert.
Smile!

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Kuraba
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Kuraba » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:47 pm

Very Impressive!

:D
May your beard grow ever longer, and your enemies tremble at the sound of your guns.
Kuraba

My Armies:
Warhammer 40,000:
Dark Angels - Deathwing, Ravenwing, and 4th Battle Company.
Warhammer Fantasy:
Dwarfs - Karak Eight Peaks
Warmachine: Menoth