It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blue's Terrain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Tmb wrote:
what did you use to make that wrecked wall?
Looks like dry wall to me :shock:
Looks great

Thanks Tmb, the walls are all made from foam core sheets. That big wall also looks like the rest of the build now too. Just a little more ruining to be done. Still loads more work at the moment. Wish I had a day off soon!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:04 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
that is totaly sweet :!:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:31 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Thanks Hightower!

Update: Finished off the centerpiece except for the second floor and the rubble/sand...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

You, sir, have a talent for terrain. 8)

They look good, man, more pics when they're painted?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 am 

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
:shock:
That is one awesome building... im getting inspired to make terrain...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:38 pm 

VehementiDominus wrote:
You, sir, have a talent for terrain. 8)

They look good, man, more pics when they're painted?

Thanks.
Plenty of pics to come dude... I can't wait to get some paint on it. Just picked up my base colors yesterday. :wink:

Tmb wrote:
:shock:
That is one awesome building... im getting inspired to make terrain...

Thanks Tmb!
That's the idea...

Finished off the second floor and added random pieces of foam all around the building. These will be sanding smooth with the base and my basing materials will cover them to imitate the sand piling up against the building over time.
Also had to add another base layer as my initial one had a bow to it. Got to be careful using this foam from the dumpster!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:22 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
if i put in words what im thinking right now, ide probably get banned for using foul language but HOLY COW THAT'S AMAZING.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:06 pm 

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
How big is that building loooks like great big peice of terrain...

I want to make a building like that now... time to get some supplies and get at it....
Not now though... saving up for mwg sale... gonna get life time gold hopefully...

But back to your project looks great im excited to see it painted

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

that is epic and is that real tile you are using and if so what did you glue it down with.

My D-Day terrain board: http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66185

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:04 am 

bl00dngutz wrote:
if i put in words what im thinking right now, id probably get banned for using foul language but HOLY COW THAT'S AMAZING.

Thanks dude.
Tmb wrote:
How big is that building looks like great big piece of terrain...

Yeah, the building itself isn't too big, the front face is 6 inches wide and the second floor is 3 inches above the ground level. The base it what is big. Unfortunately the first layer was warped so I put it on another layer. Normally I would have taken the building off and used a new base but I actually pinned the building to the base and taking it off would cause some damage for sure. No worries, all in all the set will be huge. Most players will not be able to use the full set unless they are playing on a 4x8 table. There are 5 smaller CD builds with this set as well as 3 medium sized pieces made of the pink foam.
Overall the footprint of the building is roughly 20 inches by 15 inches.

fred2437 wrote:
that is epic and is that real tile you are using and if so what did you glue it down with.

Thanks dude! The only materials used in this build so far are wood, pink foam and foam core. The floor is foam core with the tiles carved out. If it looks like real tile then I have reached my goal!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:39 am 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Great job!
It really stands out there, but I'm not sure if it already has this 'cathedral' feel to it. It feels like it's missing something. :S

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

What did you use to do the edges of the foam? They have a very nice rock look. Specifically that large base and like that stack of foam to make the standing stones? They look superb!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:50 pm 

A Luna wrote:
Great job!
It really stands out there, but I'm not sure if it already has this 'cathedral' feel to it. It feels like it's missing something. :S

Yeah, I feel that way too. I'm a bit torn at the moment. I want this building to have the feeling that it has been destroyed by time and the elements, not war or some disaster. It will also be set in a desert environment void of most life save some sparse vegetation. So very little wood which I feel would really help the cathedral look. But they wouldn't have too much wood in a desert. All in all it will be a very mono-toned build... For instance it will not have all the weathering effects that I did on my other piece of terrain and less rubble also as I feel most of it would have deteriorated already or be buried under the sand.

Any ideas on how to spruce it up from anyone would be awesome!

azzerath wrote:
What did you use to do the edges of the foam?

Thanks dude... The edges, I found this awesome tutorial online once before on this really cool forum. Let me see if I can find it for you...

Hold on...

Wait a sec.... what was it called...

Ahah! Finally... I've found it!
Here it is.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 pm 
Gold Vault Member

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
What I think might help you:
Cathedrals are amazing structures of pure awesomeness towards some ideoligies. It has to be amazing and has to stand out. You might need a larger front entrance. Google 'cathedral' and you'll find the entrances the most. Those things are talll and enormous! Statues too. Also some glas in lead windows (although thats directly translated from dutch).

Need more decoration, tiles, patterns, candles, benches and an altar, gravestones, sarcophagus, artifacts, sin chambers, etc. If you do some research (I know this stuff from high school); churces are always made in a cross pattern
(http://www.alsbom.org/clientimages/3646 ... rint01.jpg) Voilá!

Also, I see you're building it with the 'goth' style build (somewhat) because of the support that is outside the building. In the late romanos they built insanely heavy and big churches with huge rocks to support the roof and walls and such. In the goth's style, they mostly build really high and with large windows. But all that weight has to go somewhere and something has to hold it. So they built arches (which are stronger than squares) and the outer supports which you have too. That means you either need larger windows or some fluff to stay away from realistic building (duhhh fantasy game, youdon't really need to be realistic :) )

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/g ... lx-450.jpg
Also, more side-towers. It's not a castle, it's a large building. Also, some more actual supports inside the church (the cylinder things, forgot the english term), pilar?
One obvious tower sticking out in the middle.

Perhaps some inspiration from a legendary terrain maker:

Theomar Pius: http://www.coolminiornot.com/199915?browseid=377077

or:
http://terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5816
Zaboodadidoo Sr.

Both are amazing at terrain.. I can't believe how they built things.

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
I second a larger door (although it might be too late), statues and windows.

Stainglass wondows are kinda easy cut a blista pack into shape draw on design with black fine tip pen glaze in the coloured parts.

I also feel it needs wrecked rows inside i raised part for the speaker and id ditch the crosses if its a 40k piece? (not sure when its for) As correct me if im wrong but religion has been binned apart from the emporer fella.

Its early days still and the above suggestions are probably more suited for later on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next