It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blue's Terrain
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:51 pm 
Now we're getting somewhere...

that's some awesome looking stuff you are making. waiting anxiously for an update. tiles look really great and got me fooled as well.
the one thing i have to nitpick at, since i cannot unsee it now, is that the 2nd base layer now makes it visually awkward to picture the undamaged building to actually have standed on it (if you know what i mean).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Damn it, I thought I was the only person ever to think of doing a cathedral. :P

Looks amazing. My one problem with it is that Christianity probably doesn't exist in the grim darkness of the far future where there is only war. My cathedral is to the Machine God. xD

+-Byrdian 117th Overland-+

Bought: ???
Assembled: 2000~
Painted: 0/1500 OH GOD

Circle Orboros

Bought: 40pts
Assembled: 19pts
Painted: 0pts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:17 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
Wow! What a crazy and hectic week for me this last was. I actually have barely touched the piece since the last update.
Thank you all for you recommendations and ideas. Let me take a moment to address some of them...

I did not know about the whole no religion in 40k. Even though the piece was meant to be more generic and not made solely with 40k in mind. Thing is it's on there pretty darn good now so it's staying and if some 40k player happens to buy it they will have to deal with it. :P Thanks for the heads up for future builds though.

As far as a bigger entrance and windows, there is a line that needs to be drawn when making terrain that teeters on the edge of reality and the fact that this needs to be playable/durable as well as easily shipped. The bigger the openings in the foam-core the weaker it gets. :|

As for any more decoration, it would have been reclaimed long ago. Either by nature or travelers or something along those lines. It's not meant to be a new ruin but one that has sat for hundreds of not thousands of years now. I do plan on adding some very small bits of metals and randomness in the rubble that will be scattered about.
Considering pews(benches) and an alter although there is going to be a significant amount of rubble and a very small amount of room for it. We will see if it makes it in there.

Structurally the cross pattern is something it could be if not ruined. Use your imagination! :wink: And to bolo's comment I don't think it seems that way. I actually tried to make it seem that the earth beneath was one of the main culprits for the cathedral to ruin. As the earth erodes the building came with it. I do plan on having rubble stream down the hills there to give a better feel of this.

One thing to remember is that I am trying to get this made and sold quickly rather than making a big long term project. I've already spent too much time on it as is and plan on completing it soon.
I have added some columns and filled the gaps with some filler. Need to refill some gaps and add sand to the thing.

Thank you for everyone's comments, encouragement and replies. Don't let this post here discourage from doing it in the future. I always like feedback on my terrain. If I don't use your idea it may give me another.
Thanks again! Hopefully updates shortly after the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:46 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
Jaw dropping. I especially like the look of the plaster peeling away from the bricks. I never thought of doing that.

I've worked with Styrofoam... a bit anyways, and it looks like the ruin walls are thinner than the foam you used. Am I right? Because if I am I would like to know the secret of how you cut the foam thinner and still kept it straight. I've tried things like obelisks or monuments and can never quite get it to be perfectly straight. :P Is the 'squareness' of the walls a product of the legendary hot-wire-cutter tables?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:40 am 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
DracoAvian wrote:
Jaw dropping. I especially like the look of the plaster peeling away from the bricks. I never thought of doing that.

I've worked with Styrofoam... a bit anyways, and it looks like the ruin walls are thinner than the foam you used. Am I right? Because if I am I would like to know the secret of how you cut the foam thinner and still kept it straight. I've tried things like obelisks or monuments and can never quite get it to be perfectly straight. :P Is the 'squareness' of the walls a product of the legendary hot-wire-cutter tables?

Thanks dude...
I wish I had the room for a hot-wire cutting table! To get the thinner pieces I use a fine toothed hacksaw blade. I cut the foam down to the average size of what I want then slice the foam in half (like a bagel) with the saw blade. I don't even load it into a handle. If your careful both sides should come out straight. Sometimes there is a 'belly' which I'll sand down a bit until flat. The trick is to use smaller pieces. An obelisk or monument may be too tall and long for this method to provide straight enough sides. The foam your speaking of was 3/4 inch thick before it was cut.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
Thanks! I don't have much problems on the smaller pieces. I use an old fine-toothed bread knife. It works pretty decently, but yea... I tried to make some walls with big ole 2" foam. It didn't turn out well. :D Those large cuts are really hard to do and keep straight. I don't like wasting the foam :P But oh well, I guess that's terrain for you.

I'll try the hack saw blades next time, it seems like those would have better control than the knife.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:46 pm 

Almost finished two of the sets. Just need some MDF for some of the warped foam.
What thickness of MDF do I want to get?

Started base coating last night...
I'm going for a desert environment with both of these sets. I am going back and forth on how I want to paint them.
Any ideas on colors?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:50 pm 

Dude... Just, dude...

The sand painting is just great, I wais I could paint like that. Your rocks look awesome. Do you use some green there or it's just the pictures?

That wooden door is great, I would just give it a stronger color to make it pop away from the rest of the piece, but this is just amazing!

Also, check out my brand new blog for some painting tips, conversions and finished pieces!

http://themechanizedworld.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:04 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Blue wrote:
I did not know about the whole no religion in 40k. Even though the piece was meant to be more generic and not made solely with 40k in mind. Thing is it's on there pretty darn good now so it's staying and if some 40k player happens to buy it they will have to deal with it. :P Thanks for the heads up for future builds though.

Hey, don't take my word as gospel, I'm sure christianity survived in some form xD And yeah, if it isn't specifically for 40k then it makes sense to use a general religious icon for it. It looks fantastic in any case.

On the desert mesa type things, the natural columns - stunning. Especially love the one with the 'platform' stretched over the two raised bits. Looks natural and would be a great piece of gaming terrain.

In your WIPs for them I noticed you put some paper or tape or something over bits of the lower bits to make it look more natural - what'd you use for that, out of interest?

As for colours, I reckon the desert-mesa-column-formations (as they are now known) look pretty good as-is. Maybe drybrush some slightly brighter brown/yellowish colours on, without wanting to make it too bright.

As for the temple/cathedral pieces, the outside would most likely be fairly bland to fit in with the landscape, but I reckon the inside would be rather colourful.. so maybe faded red sort of colour? Especially the tiles, since they're usually very ornamental, they'd probably be very colourful back before it got exploded. :P

+-Byrdian 117th Overland-+

Bought: ???
Assembled: 2000~
Painted: 0/1500 OH GOD

Circle Orboros

Bought: 40pts
Assembled: 19pts
Painted: 0pts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm 

Location: I live as the crow flies... err... You get what I mean.
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
looks so amazing! Really nice I want to make something like that now... If only I'd get up and do it...

Really i really really like this terrain peice, cathedral thingy...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 pm 

After I picked my jaw up off the floor (btw, should I get that checked out? :P) I noticed the wood that was still around. I don't know what it is, but I really like that door! Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what reached out and punched me, that and how awesome the wear and tear ended up looking on the masonry. Fantastic!

As for painting it, I suggest you actually study some real life deserts. I personally like the Mohave (having hiked near it!) but adobe may not be what you are looking for. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:26 am 

Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.
That is INCREDIBLE!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:57 am 

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :D
>balangaz- The whole piece is just base coated, plenty of more to come. I think the sand comes out like that as it absorbs the paint and keeps some of it's original color.
No green in the rocks yet, you should see pink as my primer/base layer didn't go on too thick. I just needed something to make the piece uniform and have a base layer for the paints to stick to.
Oh yeah, door will stand out just a bit in the end.

madbird-valiant wrote:
paper or tape or something over bits of the lower bits to make it look more natural - what'd you use for that, out of interest?

That's just 1-ply paper mache. It didn't come out exactly like I would have hoped but it's something I can work on for future builds. You will also notice it on top of the middle piece. Great for adding random texture.
madbird-valiant wrote:
maybe faded red sort of colou

I hadn't though of going with color for the inside... Now I'm thinking...

Tmb wrote:
Really i really really like this terrain peice, cathedral thingy...

Thanks bud, I would be happy to answer any questions and throw some ideas around along the way if you do. I also plan on having a vid on my channel soon enough on the basics of how to build it.

DracoAvian wrote:
I suggest you actually study some real life deserts.

Yes, I have... it seems the rocky areas in deserts are simply a darker version of the sand color. They sort of blend in with each other yet stand out in a way.
Clabbage wrote:
That is INCREDIBLE!

THANK YOU!

So after some thought...
For the natural areas the rocks will be based a darker rich brown and the sand a golden blonde color. Then progressively dry brush them together to get the right look.

For the building the exterior is based, this will be Highlighted with a lighter color like Bleached Bone to give that sun-bleached look. The exposed bricks will match the sand.
The interior I'm still working on... I like the colorful idea but red may be too stark overall for the piece. Maybe that's a good thing though... I will want to 'fade out' the color either which way and doing this with a red may make a pink building. :|
Any more ideas for the interior painting?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 am 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
that is totaly awesome blue, really great work man! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:56 am 

Hightower86 wrote:
that is totaly awesome blue, really great work man! :D

Thanks bud!

So I picked up some MDF to help with the warped foam. I should have just trashed the pieces... Now they weight more and one of them still has a warp to it. 1/2 inch MDF... Thought I was safe! :|
Here are two more pieces for the catherdral set. Added sand yesterday, just need to prime these and one other and the set is ready for paint.

And...
The other set fully is completed and primed awaiting a brush.

I have some extra time off this weekend so I hope to get some paint laid down.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next