It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Should the features on this terrain board be fully modular?
Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 am
Yes 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only some features 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
i bought one of those baskets full of scented pods. its called potpourri, if you google some images you'll see what im talking about

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 am 
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge
The alien pod plants have a great feel to them. Nice idea. Down the road it would be cool to model some and have some alien creature or something popping out of it.
Another idea would be to get that long tan hair flock stuff and glue some of that inside the gaps.

As for the bunker, no matter what color you paint it it will turn out a tad boring. There is nothing there but slate. With terrain it's all about the smaller details. Our minis are already provided with them but when we make terrain we have to make sure to add them. Some pipes, smokestacks, antennae, communication equipment, fencing, barbed wire, lighting, fuel tank, electrical systems, random weapons or tools. All of these can be added to add that little something to each piece.

The ruined wall is actually pretty good. I like the taller tank (hot water heater). The rust looks believable there. All in all with the rust it is very important not to overdo it. Start with the base metallic and wash it down so it darkens. Then carefully stipple on your rusty colors. There are a few spots I can see that look like the paint went on a bit too heavy for what your going for. You barely want to put on any paint with each layer so the base shows through somewhat in the end. The pipes under the ballast is a nice touch.

I like the green you are using here too. if it were just a bit more pale it would have that older/vintage powder coated green color that a lot of heavy appliances had back in the day.

Nice rock pile!
Tell her she rocks at painting rocks to look like rocks! :wink:
When dry brushing stone I like to start with a different color. Cleaner look go for blue, dirtier/organic look go for green or brown. Then drybrush your grays on top. Adds a bit more depth to the whole piece and ties it in with the base and surroundings.

Nice fencing...

I like the additional modular floor for the large building. Down the road you could even continue with it and add other areas.

bl00dngutz wrote:
the aftermath of terrain building.

I wish my desk looked that good after building something like this!

You've got a big project here dude, keep at it! Your doing great so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:35 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

That fridge needs Indy falling out of it.

+-Byrdian 117th Overland-+

Bought: ???
Assembled: 2000~
Painted: 0/1500 OH GOD

Circle Orboros

Bought: 40pts
Assembled: 19pts
Painted: 0pts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
thank you very much for your advice blue! :)
ive been very busy with university lately and i havent had time to build as much as ide like, im going to try to spend at least 2 hours a week working on this project this coming semester. I would really love to see this project FINALLY get finished, its been in the works for wayyy to long.
im also beginning to realize that alot of objects should be made modular so i can re-use them or even sell them down the road. i was thinking about even making the big warehouse modular within the board it was designed for, it is a very big piece after all.
As for the bunker, I will take your advice and i will try to incorporate as many details as i can think imaginable. i dont buy fabricated terrain so making satellite dishes and all these details may be a challenge, but im up to give it a shot :)

thank you again for your inputs, hopefully you will see more postings in the near future :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

I just found this topic and let's just say I am dumbfounded by how fantastic this all is. I've spent about an hour now just admiring all of your fantasticness in all of its glory! Keep up the amazing work!

Warhammer 40,000:
Storm Guard (Space Marines) : Just starting.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

[quote]I just found this topic and let's just say I am dumbfounded by how fantastic this all is. I've spent about an hour now just admiring all of your fantasticness in all of its glory! Keep up the amazing work![quote]
Thank you very much for your compliments :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

im currently working on a piece of terrain for the group build and it will be featured on the terrain board when completed. i might post the WIP on this topic if you guys really want me to but for now all of those pictures will be posted in the group build section of the forums.
Happy wargaming! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:05 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

latest piece of terrain to go on the board
it will be placed in the area behind the modular fence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:30 pm 
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Awarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
my mind got blown... serious side.... Keep it up (Y)

I'm liking it... Hurry up and get it finished :wink:

I do do. The cha cha.

War Cry:
"Overly Glorified Tickle Cannons Prevail!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:57 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

im might have some time next week to put some more hours into the table intself as opposed to the modular pieces. so you might see some work done on that warehouse. My main issue with that big building is the way it plays. its terrible. its in the middle and its very tall so it makes it impossible to move the minatures that are inside :(
this leaves me with one of two options
a) make the entire building modular, so that another piece of terrain can occupy that space
b) "bombard" the living heck out of it so that its easier to move miniatures
Its been a while since of worked on it and i dont really know what to do with the board. There are a number of things that i dont like but changing them would mean ruining hours of work :(

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:50 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

i felt really sick today so i decided to take a break from school projects and do something with the table downstairs. idk if its because i have a fever or what, but i decided that i could never be able to paint all this terrain in my basement, and that it HAD to be modular. so i decided to rip out what was stuck to the table. It turned out pretty nicely actually, didnt do nearly as much damage to the craters as i thought. that plaster sure is tough. With the pieces off the board, it will be much easier to prime, and paint. PLUS, having modular terrain opens up more options. i already had an idea to add a poluted canal and replace the ramps with bridges leading to a new area. but these are ideas. i NEED to finish the present idea. its really getting on my nerves that i havent finished this darn table and its been YEARS. it might be 2 years since i started glueing supports to the plywood and thinking of possible ideas. this project WILL be done come june.
sorry i started rambling, here are the pictures of the demolition.
I totally see a canal between the raised area and that black line on the board. could look wicked if i ever finish the present design lol
turns out it may be difficult to make a proper base for the craters as they are so large
some pictures of the warehouse that was torn out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:41 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
can't wait to see more updates your doing great on this project
oh maybe I'm to late to say it but I think it would be best to let the expresso cups be places on to a base that way you can put them aside for gaming ends or for mission fluff like its impassable terrain for vehicles except skimmers or stuff like that
as for the rest of the terrain it really look great

my photobucket album

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:26 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

they've actually been on bases the entire time :P
i just havent gotten around to adding texture to the base, and painting it. I've been working on the warehouse yesterday and ive added more battle damage as well as adding some parts of the windows to the building. if i have time i might post another update later today
EDIT:
heres some new pictures of the warehouse after some more damage and rubble added. there will be a modular floor as well :)
oh and the entire building is now modular with its own base.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

i love that warehouse someday i shall build one

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Quote:
i love that warehouse someday i shall build one

who knows, maybe someday i will actually finish this build too :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next