Insulation foam, the must have for every terrain maker.

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
theRetardUndead
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Insulation foam, the must have for every terrain maker.

Post by theRetardUndead » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 am

Any store in Denmark??
I have tried to find it for months!
Im lookin' for da danish playaz' to start da club!
woot!!!!! no danish 'umies?!!!!
''And Satan walked into heaven, and God said: OMG WTF WALL HAX''

pyro5050
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by pyro5050 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:52 am

any home improvment store should have it, it is sold as insulation hard or dense foam.

i live in alberta, went to a home depot and got 2 sheets of 1/2 inch thick 8 foot by 3 foot sheets, R3 (very low insulation quality good for models) for 6 bucks each! :)
My Mantra - Who cares about winning... all that matters is who rolls the most dice, and thats me!

My Orks Manta -Shoot anything that moves, including your feet!!

tailsandtalons376
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by tailsandtalons376 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 pm

5Aces wrote:Anyone knows a store in Sweden???
yeah... actully, it depends on where you live. but i know that bauhouse has some(not rekomended cause of the prices 400sek esch :shock: :shock: , 1100 for 8 :shock: ) annyhow i also thinks anny other place like that has some...
now drowning in a sea of tests and homeworks~

It's the end of the world as we know it! It's the the...whait a sec... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!!
Assuming direct controll

Why hello, I just got back :D

TheRat
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by TheRat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Hey guys, I just joined the boards. Been following for a while on Youtube.

I was reading this post and thought I would share.

IF you live in Southern California like I do you might be happy to know that you can get foam, its just hard to find. It took me a few weeks of calling and some internet research but there is a supplier near the LA Zoo.

http://foamsalesandmarketing.com/home.html

And just imagine how I felt when I visited their location....

Enjoy!

Shrike's Finest
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Shrike's Finest » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 am

dude i live right next to the la zoo where are you talking about????
TheRat wrote:Hey guys, I just joined the boards. Been following for a while on Youtube.

IF you live in Southern California like I do you might be happy to know that you can get foam, its just hard to find. It took me a few weeks of calling and some internet research but there is a supplier near the LA Zoo.

Enjoy!
Ultramarines 5th Company: 2800 pts
157th Cadian: 2250 pts
Tau: 2624 pts
Raven Guard 2nd Company:1000 wip
"oops, may have peed a little..." - BoyMac
http://aetos000.webs.com

Kitsune Sidhe
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Kitsune Sidhe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Does anyone know where to get this stuff in Arizona? Specifically the Mesa area. I've been trying to find it for about three weeks now and every Home Depot I've called or gone to doesn't have it (same with Lowe's), and in order to special order it I'd have to order 192 pieces. o.O

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Isn't there a 'do-it-yourself' shop somewhere near? You have blue/pink/orange/yellow foam, all used to insulation in especially rooftops.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Kitsune Sidhe

Post by Kitsune Sidhe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:30 pm

None that I've been able to find. At least none that carry the insulation foam. I've found plenty that carry the normal bead-polystyrene

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Have you tried going into a home depot or lowes and asking someone who looks sane! I have found that employees at those stores often have no clue whats in the store, how to use it, or where it would be if they actually had it. Most of them anyway. If they don't have it ask if they know where you can find it.

Some states don't allow it for resale because it can/does cause cancer in certain ways. All insulation can! You may even find it difficult to have it delivered. Here in PA certain aerosols are not available and cannot be ordered without proper licesning.

Good luck
...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain

Kitsune Sidhe

Post by Kitsune Sidhe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Yep. The only way I can get some from Home Depot is if I order two units of it, which would be 192 4' x 8' pieces and several thousand dollars more than I want to spend. ^_^;;;; There's one store about 2-2.5 hours away that said they'll have it "sometime in the next few months".

Blackbolt
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by Blackbolt » Tue May 11, 2010 10:10 pm

TheRat wrote:Hey guys, I just joined the boards. Been following for a while on Youtube.

Enjoy!
I live in Southern California (OC) too, and have had an AWFUL time trying to get some foam. I saw this post and joined the boards. I emailed the company TheRat posted about, they never got back to me. =(

I went up to LA 2 weekends ago for a comic book show, meaning to drive over to the place on the way back but they seemed to be closed and didn't have an answering machine. Long story short, I can't get this stuff anywhere!

One of my buddies who plays fantasy with me works at home depot and his boss said they couldn't special order a few sheets. I've been looking online but cant seem to catch a break. Does anyone know an online retailer who can ship a few XPS boards in the US?

Also, if anyone has super easy access to some Owens Corning pink foam or any extruded polystyrene is willing to help me out, Im more than happy to pay for the foam, shipping, and your time. PM me =)

hozrhayt

Post by hozrhayt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:51 pm

I too live in CA and I also can not find the stuff anywhere. I have emailed home depot and owens-corning. Hopefully I will get a response that will answer this mystery once and for all. I haven't even been able to find information about it on google.

TheSpike

Post by TheSpike » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:09 am

I have foam board everywhere, except I can't cut straight to save a life. But, then again I am using just a razor blade to cut and not a utility knife.

jimmy72nd
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by jimmy72nd » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:14 am

Can some one tell me if Stereyn sheets is plasticard????

on this link: CLICK HERE
"Only the DEAD have seen an end to War" -Plato

Blood Angels 4155 Pts
W:7 L:8 T:8

Blue
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by Blue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:22 am

jimmy72nd wrote:Can some one tell me if Stereyn sheets is plasticard????

on this link: CLICK HERE
That looks like the stuff. From the dimensions too I would think that it is. Usually the styrofoam is called polystyrene, I think.
Did you click on the individual links there? The picture for the first one looks like plasticard.

Have you tried emailing them at the website to be sure?

...Blue
New Video! How I Paint Flames On Miniatures
The rush of battle is often a potent and lethal addiction, for war is a drug.
My Terrain Tutorial: How To Make Cheap Easy Terrain