It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Is this a good idea?/Should it be a torunament?
Yes 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
No 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but needs some changes 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:22 am 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
Yup thats right, another thin that just popped up in my mind, just then when I was having a shower.

Terrainacathlon is a monthly contest. Like mini of the month. It's a race. So there could be a subform for challenges. So say like I wanted to challenge umm Fireman Tim, I'll make a new thread in the subforum under challenges. If he agrees we both have a week to take it to our desk and make the best possible piece of terrain. Alot of people can challenge each other the same week, or the weeks of a month.
Judging
The winners of each challenge will be then judged by the end of the month. Each winner from each challenge will then be judged again by the winners of the challenges, until we finally have a winner.
Rewards
He will then be rewarded with a badge (which 'll be making over PS). So what ya think? I know you guys will say that we have like a group build already, but this is meant to be a quick one.

UPDATE:
So the rules r here!

Firstly, you must post a new topic in the section (if there will be one) saying whoever you want to duel/challange, what the subject is, what your allowed to use,date its gonna begin, time allowed, etc. You might just say a topic.

Secondly, you must post the beginning things your gonna use, plus the date (must not be from some edit photo, but from the camera you r using). must have WIP pics!!!

Lastly, MAKE TERRAIN 4 UR LIVES!!!

Remember, everyone who participate gets a ribbon. Winners of each duel(will receive the same ribbon, but with a purity seal on it!), will them be compare till there is a winner, who will win a badge. The badge will be made by me. The winner may get a coupon for the online store!

SO WHAT YA THINK GUYS???

This is just an idea to get feedback on. No plans have been made to make ribbons or anything else at this point. This thread is just to gauge interest on the idea. It will also have to be approved by the powers that be. :twisted: - Greywolf -

C'mon guys!

Lets see who wants a Terracathalon?

I've made some ribbons.
Winner:Image
Semi's:Image
Participants:Image

I might add a destroyed building in the ribbons!

Look ya see, I change em! What size ya want?
35x35pixels:Image
50x50pixels:Image

Dark Angels - 650 pts

TERMIES- GK!!! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12533

Last edited by kknight25 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:05 am 
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Try Terrathalon, imo it can be pronounced easier.

And while I think you should have talked to a mod about it imo it could be interesting.

I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 am 

I guess. Hmm what about Tim???? Wait his busy, I'll send it to Greywolf! Wish me luck!

Dark Angels - 650 pts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:01 pm 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Well the challange idea is fun, but you could do the same stuff with painting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am 

Kinda like a duel!

Dark Angels - 650 pts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:59 am 

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Would we really need a subforum for that? Just add the title "DUEL" and your fine I think.

The only thing that might be needed is a topic with the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:40 am 

Dont think you got the power to give coupons to the online store...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges
If he pays for them he does. :wink:

Anyways, I think that this is a pretty good idea, however, I see some problems. This is personally how I think it should be.

Terrathalon (I agree with Ashran, it is easier to say)

What is it?

Terrathalon is a terrain making competition, somewhat like the Group Build. Participants sign up, and then are randomly partnered up with another participant. Each round, a topic is given, and every participant in that round is given a certain amount of time to complete a terrain piece based on that topic. Participants are then judged, and depending on what score they receive, and what score there opponent in that round receives, they either move on, or are kicked out of the competition. The remaining participants are then once again randomly paired up with another participant, given a topic and a timeframe, judged on their piece once again, and either kicked out or move on. This goes on until there is only one person left.

How do I get to participate?

Participation is open to everyone who would like to participate. However, you must post in the sign-up topic for that competition in the two weeks that sign-ups are open. After those two weeks, sign-ups will be closed and the competition will begin. If you missed your chance to sign up for the competition, then you have to wait until the next one to sign up again.

Wait, I don't get it. What happens after I sign up?

After you sign up, you must first wait for that two week registration period to end. Once that happens the competition will begin. You will be randomly paired up with another participant. Then, everyone who is participating that round will be given a topic to base their terrain piece off of. This could be anything. It could be a certain item that has to be included, a type of setting for the piece, etc. You will then have a certain amount of time to build your piece. The timeframes for each round will go as such.

Every round before the semi-finals: 2 weeks
Semi-final round: 3 weeks
Final round: 4 weeks

After this time is up, what you have done will be what you are judged on. If the judges decide that your piece is incomplete (must get 3 out of 4 votes for this to happen) you will be disqualified, and your opponent will automatically move on (assuming that he has not also been disqualified). A panel of four judges will then rate your piece from one to ten. The highest and the lowest total will be thrown out, and then the middle two will be averaged. Judging will be based on:

1. How the piece fits the theme
2. The WOW factor of the piece (in other words, how good it is)

Judging will last for one week between each round. Then, everyone who participated in that round will be notified if they moved on or not. This will be done by posting a topic.

Those who have moved on will then do the exact same thing once again, except with a different topic, and, depending on the round, a different time frame.

What prizes do I win?

At the end of the competition, the winner will receive some prizes. ( Assuming these are okayed by MWG of course :P )

1. A ribbon (Assuming Mike finds the time to make one)
2. The honor of being able to say that they won a Terrathalon

The other finalist will also receive a ribbon (once again assuming Mike can make one) that shows he was a finalist.

The two semifinalists which lost in the semifinal round will also be given a ribbon showing that they were semifinalists. (same as before)

It might be a good idea, however I'm not sure yet, to give everyone else who participated a ribbon showing that they participated. (same as before)

Also, every semifinalist will become a judge for the next competition.

What do I need to do in each round?

Every round, you will need to do these things

1. Make a terrain piece that fits the theme (duh)
2. You and your opponent will be given a thread. In that thread, you must post these things.
__I. At least one picture of the materials you will be using.
__II. At least one picture of the post-assembly, but pre-painting stage.
__III. At least one picture of the finished product.
(Note: In every one of these stages, you must include at least one picture of your terrain piece at that stage with a piece of paper with your username on it, and the date.)

Whatever your last update on the piece shows is what your piece will be judged on. This means that if you have completed the piece, but not updated it, then you will be disqualified. Also, if you added more to it, but you never updated it, then it will be judged on whatever it looked like in the last update.

After this, you will wait for the judging to be over, and then you will find out if you moved on or not.

What are my responsibilities if I become judge?

If you become a judge, you will be expected to do these things.

1. You and the other judges must agree on 5 topics for the competition. This takes into account that there will be 32 or less participants, however, if there are more, you and the other judges may be expected to come up with another topic on short notice.
2. At the end of each round, you will be expected to rate each piece from 1 to 10, and send me your point values (over a PM) for each one. I will then average them out and post who moved on and who didn't.

If you do not think that you will be able to meet these requirements, then please alert me, and your opponent from the round before the semifinals will take your place as judge if they can meet the requirements. If they also can't then one of the other semifinalists' opponents will be selected randomly.

FAQ

If I win, can I participate again? Yes, you may, but only after sitting out one of the competitions. This means that if you win one time, then you must sit out the next, but you can participate again the time after that?

What about the semifinalists? For everyone who reached the semifinals, it will be the same as for the winner. They will not get to participate in the one immediately after that, however, they do get to participate the time after that.

Why is this so? Why can't the semifinalists participate? The semifinalists cannot participate in the one immediately after they reached the semifinals or higher because they are the judges, and they would most likely be overwhelmed, and they are not allowed to rate their own work.

What if there are an uneven number of participants in a round? If this is the case, then groups of three will be randomly assigned, and only the person with the highest rating in each of those groups will get to move on.

What if a tie occurs? Then a winner will be randomly chosen.

NOTE: All references to random decisions will be made using http://www.random.org

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:45 pm 

So, what do you guys think about my ruleset? Should I contact Mike about getting a subforum made and starting this up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:13 pm 

Hmm I guess, but like well like ur rules! team up Jombo?

Dark Angels - 650 pts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:03 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

i clicked yes,soundso k i have not read all of it but somehow make it that you have to make it fresh, not go and pick up some old terrain you made.

Cheers Shane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:13 pm 

I covered that. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry
I like it! How long will each competetion peroid be? I read it but must not have caught that? 2 weeks? a month?

And will hirst art molds be allowed? If so then thats really unfair. Sence some people dont have those then they have to make them all by hand. Also the molds were technically made by someone else! Thats like taking someones homework running it thru a copier and saying i made it!

Only a true man dies fighting, I for one run away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:59 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge
First of all I want to say...Jombo I don't believe you....no way you're that young - 13 year olds can't use their brains that much. :wink:

I like the idea and love the way you've outlined everything. For the prizes I'm not too sure about the 'cash' prize but ribbons look great (hopefully Mike can work things out). Heck I like it so much I'm putting my name down right now as an organizer. I've done these sort of 'tournaments' before on other sites and think I could handle it. One thing is this competition actually seems really long. 2 weeks per round for say maybe 3+ rounds on average, then another 3 weeks for semis and then a month for finals...you're looking at well over 3 months....might be too long of a time frame - though I don't see what else you could do as terrain takes a long time to make...hmm... :?

I'm all on board and would like to be one of the mods to oversee the events.

P.S. I think that if you have hirst molds then you should be able to use it. You should be able to use anything you want and have access to. Ofcourse if you make something with only hirst and just follow the instructions on their website than that will also be taken into account by the judges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 am 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
....so this isnt set in stone yet is it? Im guessing not quite yet, but Im all aboard Sign Me Up!!