Terrain board as a box

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Terrain board as a box

Post by Terrain4Print » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for your comments. I hope I will see this through to the end. For the first time in my life, I am trying to plan ahead. :-)
I want to be able to sculpt the terrain but also place scatter terrain. So I have planned to have several plateaus where scatter buildings or bigger hills can be. Between them there will be more uneven terrain, dried out river beds etc.

Maybe it can look something like this:

The box board is coming along nicely. I have attached a handle and locks so I shut it and carry it like a suitcase. If I make a second box I think I will make it bigger to allow for more height differences. The foam is extruded polystyrene originally 20mm thick but cut in half. It became quite uneven, not bad.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 am

And I added some 3D printed protective corners. I have bought brown matte varnish for the wood. The corners will be painted black and drybrushed silver.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sun May 14, 2017 12:49 pm

I have started painting the outside (brown). Also, the foam inside has been shaped into a rough shape and is glued down with caulk.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sun May 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Three corners are hills. One corner will be a dried lake with cracked mud. There is also a dried stream, also with dried mud. The wood in the middle will mostly be as it is, but some will be sawed out to follow the big hill slope, to the left on the first image.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sat May 20, 2017 7:34 am

So I have covered the terrain with filler (spackle), stippled it and added grit, sand and pebbles.
Entire story:
http://imgur.com/a/oRmXz

Half done with filler and grit.

Final result:

Now it is time to seal it, paint it and onwards.

Lynq
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Lynq » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:04 pm

That is so cool, how heavy is it with all the main stuff added to it?

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:56 am

Looking good. I was thinking that a 3x4 board could be paired on the long end with a second to make a 6x4. Would mean building two and matching the ends but would be interesting.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:38 am

Lynq wrote:That is so cool, how heavy is it with all the main stuff added to it?
I'm working with crackling paste to get the dried lake and river bed.
It's quite heavy. I am not very big or strong but I can carry it a couple of hundred meters. I don't have a scale so I don't know exactly how much it is.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:41 am

Nappen wrote:Looking good. I was thinking that a 3x4 board could be paired on the long end with a second to make a 6x4. Would mean building two and matching the ends but would be interesting.
Thanks.
Yeah, it is an interesting idea, I think it would be very heavy though. The next one I build will be somewhat smaller but deeper to allow for more height differences. As long as you don't mean to carry it around by foot it should be ok.

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:02 pm

So it has been a long pause. I have been researching how to do the dried mud. I ended up using crackling paste. And it had to dry. That took a long time.
I realised that the chunks were much to big for my taste. I had to helt it by splitting them with a knife. In the end I am quite content.

After cracking it more, lots of pieces came loose so I had to seal it with PVA. Then a light brown base coat.

Then a black wash and then the same light brown stippled with a sea spunge.

I added (a little to much) white to the brown and stippled some more.

I can now play on this and not be ashamed. I still need to give the river bed the same treatment as the lake. Now without the guesswork.

SweetSorrow
MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SweetSorrow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:10 am

That looks awesome o.o

Are you going to use water effects on the river or look up a simple way to paint and texture it? Also I am curious how much time you think it has taken you to make this is it is truly something else.
The Stars Await, Let us now wander together.

Well then, this is rather entertaining
Chaos Marines - 5,000
IIIIIIIIII

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

SweetSorrow wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:10 am
That looks awesome o.o

Are you going to use water effects on the river or look up a simple way to paint and texture it? Also I am curious how much time you think it has taken you to make this is it is truly something else.

Thank you!
The river will be dried mud like the lake. If I had some more height differences to play with I could have puddles of Vallejo water effects between the dried mud.

Hmm... a time estimate. Working with the wood, 3 hours. Basic terrain shape 5 hourse. Filler, stippling and rocks 3 hours. Painting 5 hours. Dried mud including paint 5 hours.
5 more for the river.
2 more to paint the outside of the box again.
All in all 28 hours. Worth it? Oh yeah! :D