Guildy's Terrain pieces

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Guildy's Terrain pieces

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Arnathos wrote:I was hoping you would do the same kind of leaves you did for the skull dias/throne/whatsits, as I feel it tends to look somewhat barren with the basic citadel leaves on it.

Great thread you have here though! So partly commenting to keep tabs ;)
Hmmm that's not a half bad idea! I like it a lot :D I felt like it needs something as well, but wanted to move on to other projects so didn't add too much.

So far I have ideas for mushrooms, moss on rocks and more leafy vines.
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Sea shore bases

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:47 am

These are for my ork boyz - I decided on a sea based theme since they're pirates. The idea behind these is they are in the surf, after landing on the beach.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:27 am

Groans lol

the water is water effects with a small drop of liquitex acrylic ink

I had to cut the excess off the sides a bit, but they look ok I guess. On my nobz bases I'm going to try to add a few things here and there, to help add some interest.

Guildenstern

Table

Post by Guildenstern » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Not exactly terrain per se but close enough I figured I'd stick this here. I just added my third 'leaf' so to speak to the table after it'd been sitting at 2 for a long time so I thought I'd post pics :)

So, some time ago I read on another forum, which I cannot recall the name of sorry to say, about a way to make this sort of a three or more part table for wargaming. I decided to give it a go. I made mine in three pieces, so I could use it as a 4X4 for Malifaux or a 6X4 for WHF/40k.

It's really simple, overall, the hardest part was finding the suit case latches (that's what they're called and no one here knew wtf I was asking about when I tried to describe them at the hardware store, but then that's a whole nother can of worms lol).

This is used about 4 1X2 (8' long), 3 pieces of MDF 2'X4', 4 suitcase latches and the random screws I had laying around, plus some wood glue. You probably don't need the wood glue so much but my screws were mostly 1/2" and I wanted to make sure the wood would have support/stay in place.

I do need to get some cross members for the outer two boards. The 'table' is stable without them but the way my dining room table is shaped, when I put all the boards together to form my wargaming table, it can't hold them because of where the edge falls.

Anyway, longest description of a simple thing ever lol

I still need to prime and paint the new leaf, and put some wood filler in the screw holes on top, but otherwise, it's pretty well done (except for crossmember as noted above)

There's a little mismatch in places because the 1X2's are a bit warped though I got the straightest I could find >< Anyway it still holds and that's the important thing.

Guildenstern

Water Barrel (Rain catcher) & Swamp nest

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Worked on this piece for my Malifaux Terrain, it's a rain catcher water barrel type thing for a western town/area:

coldsteel
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by coldsteel » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:55 am

nice raincatcher. I feel there should be a bit of leakage somewhere tho...
Crucifiers (SM codex) (11881/703 PL)
Orks (3745/255 PL)
Astra Militarum (####/378 PL)
Fallen Crucifiers (CSM codex) (####/351 PL)
Khornate Daemons (####/65 PL)
Death Guard (2387/128 PL)
Primaris Marines (1099/60 PL)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm

lol there was... literally... =/ sadly I didn't manage to get the seal well enough that my water effects didn't leak out >< but I know what you mean. I wanted to try that but I'm still working out how to do falling water. Definitely one of my next projects

Terrain4Print
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Terrain4Print » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Nice rain catcher, looks very good. One suggestion for leaking. Just try a little black wash where the water could have leaked. It has leaked and dried again and again and finally leaving a permanent mark. If you look for inspiration, do an image googling for "water leak wood".

Guildenstern

Swamp Board

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:16 pm

Here's some bits I started working on finally - hopefully will actually make some progress now. This is for my swamp board. I have 6 pieces of 2x2 board to make it semi-modular (so far I can figure at least one other configuration besides the base).

I did some cleaning up, and did some blending of edges, a few more cuts in sides. The right lower quadrant is going to have small hillocks - they'll be nests eventually. I have a small hill on the mid right (not started yet really). Three "islands" of land that I'm debating whether to put permanently down, or keep as a kind of free floating areas of earth. I built the upper left area up some, for some variation. The left hand is going to be mostly some forest. In case it's not obvious the mid area is going to all be the swamp.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Finally a nice enough low humid day I can paint with some spray paint =D

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Added rocks and sand! Also finished the basecoating (obviously). Next step is really waiting on the watered down PVA to dry and then I can start some washes and adding drybrushing as well as plants etc.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks!

I'm still waiting for the wash to dry atm but:

Return to “Wargaming Terrain”