Guildy's Terrain pieces

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Guildy's Terrain pieces

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:52 pm

Getting enough pieces I think it'd be easier to start a thread for them =D

So, while I'm working on various other things, and waiting for my terrain piece for Dead of Winter to dry some, I stuck a bunch of bits together I'd saved (because I can't throw anything away!) and made a hill. Playing a few wargames with my son's made me realize we don't have enough terrain and particularly we don't have enough hills.
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
[+] Expand
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

Kovlovsky
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Re: Guildy's Terrain pieces

Post by Kovlovsky » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Oh! This an amazing hill for sure! It's really stunning! You're soon gonna be the queen of terrain! :D
Forum's NKVD Cpt. Kovlovsky

40k : 3945 points of Thousand Sons
380 pts of Tzeentch Daemons of Chaos

Thousand Sons WiP : http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 6&t=114889

Fantasy : OnG

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 am

Wow, that's an awesome looking piece of terrain! :o
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

lupusj
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Won a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by lupusj » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:24 am

What materials/parts did you use? It looks really good.
Check out my blog - http://lupusj.wordpress.com

Guildenstern
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks!

the base was pink foam (bits I had left over), some broken attempted rock cliffs (cast from a woodland scenics mold), small rocks and flock with a few battlefield tufts, all sitting on a piece of cork.

I was using some gel medium to get some texture in places, didn't like it all that much so I pulled out the vallejo texture paint. Primed the rocks grey, and then covered everything in a one of my cheap terrain washes (black acrylic craft paint in a wash). Added the flock, drybrushed the rocks a few times, tbh I don't recall what all colours I used, tried to vary it up a bit so it'd have different shades.

Guildenstern

Malifaux portal

Post by Guildenstern » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:14 pm

been wanting to do this for some time, this is going to be a portal for malifaux, aka The Great Breach. just a terrain piece no special IG use per se. But it can double as something for other wargames too so it's good.

Fairly basic idea, pink insulation foam, carved and textured (with a rock). The hard part is going to be the actual portal energy area. I want to show the Malifaux side of the Breach on one side, and the Earth side on the other. Not sure how that's going to be done yet, but that's the plan.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 pm

got the stone work painted, several washes done, dirt for the cracks (brown) an overall black to darken it up and help the various drybrushings of grey come together better. Sponged some browns on in a few places to give it some colour variation. Probably going to do the same with blues tomorrow after it's dried. Pics in morning when cameras charged :)

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:09 pm

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:41 pm

second phase of portal stone arch

Guildenstern

GB 71 - Power

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Just throwing these into my thread for 'safekeeping' so to speak :P

Guildenstern

More Portal work

Post by Guildenstern » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 am

Fun with weathering, ala Nappen's instructions. Really simple and fun, though I probably could have gotten better layers if I'd been more patient on waiting for the last coat to dry.

And the final coat:

Here's my mockup for the whole piece:

I found a piece of art canvas I'd forgotten I'd bought. they're perfect for this. To be done is figure out how to age the chrome and "glass" windshield on the front of the car, top coat the whole car - maybe gloss the back? or a satin finish. Since it's supposed to look "new".

Then I'm going to start with colours, vegetation, other stuff (as yet to be determined!) and flock on the "Earth side".

I had the idea of taking a picture of that part, after finishing, and turning it black and white, to help with the monochrome idea I want o use on the opposite side.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:23 am

Still have a good bit of painting to do, oxidation on the metal fence, vegetation etc but it's coming along. The one thing I didn't like was the "portal" I was making, I had taken clear plastic and hot glue - which worked well - and painted it with a glaze, but it's still too opaque, and ruins the transparency of the effect. Second time I've tried this. I've only got one clear paint, Tamiya red but it's not the colour I want to use so I guess I may give up on this part. Not sure yet. I kind of like it the way it is tbh.

Guildenstern

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:23 pm

what not to do for resin casting:

So, colouring went very well! that's about all lol

I made a mold from the cut out section of the portal (so it'd be the right shape) covered it with tinfoil and duct tape. Resin still managed to escape. Plus I found out my desk isn't perfectly level. So, anyway, on to plan C now. Whatever that'll be.

oh and definitely need something other than jet dry to try to use as a mold release type thing.

I may have to break down and actually like I dunno, look up how to do this :P

Guildenstern

Skullz & Frostgrave piece

Post by Guildenstern » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:05 am

Decided best to use my terrain thread for this lol otherwise I'll never update it, and it is terrain

Worked on the Skullz tonight, or rather the base:

Also, on Frostgrave piece for son's miniatures (doubling as either a diorama for them or an actual piece of terrain for in game use):

It's going to be part of a ruined Library, so I'm going to make books, scrolls etc and some bookcases (mostly ruined of course).