New set of hills - Organic looking terrain

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
tinker
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

New set of hills - Organic looking terrain

Post by tinker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:57 pm

I have made a set of 10 of these. Finished off painting two today. I have not decided if I will flock the tops. Anyway, the set is destined for EBay to help pay for my gaming table project. Let me know what you think.

Hightower86
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entry

Re: New set of hills - Organic looking terrain

Post by Hightower86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 am

those look great, original with the texture on the sides. I would not flock the top though, but that is just my opinion.

A Luna
Gold Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted an Entry for the first 'King of the Hill' challenge

Post by A Luna » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 am

They're quite nice, but boring. The shape is definitely more intersting than the color, which is brown and brown, IMO, doesn't represent organic stuff much. To sell it for more profit, i'd color it better and really add some sort of flocking or grass, because they seem unfinished now.
Just my 2 cents.
Smile!
Tomorrow's going to be worse

Me: "was eating cake whilst drinking. was good"
Jackmrnorris: "This man is close to nirvana. It is known."

CMON Gallery
Youtube

Nappen
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am

Are the sides hot glue?

I like the textures-very cool.

Definately need "something" to get more interest on ebay. Not sure if it is more color variation or flocking the top so it looks more like a muddy hilltop with some grass.

That may be the issue....such an interesting texture on the side, but then sort of plain top.

IG_Guardsman
MiniWarGaming Regular
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Post by IG_Guardsman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:34 am

Looks interesting, maybe foam melted by primer or something like that, but the stringy look is nice. hot glue will take forever to make in that quantity and will make a big mess on the edges. Definitely more color- for organic look either couple of green-yellow shades, or red-pink gore stuff if you're playing tyranids ;)

tinker
MiniWarGaming Veteran
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by tinker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 am

No hot glue, just melting from spray paint.

I wish I had better light. These are more red than brown. The florescent I have tend to move all the colors to more tan and yellow shades. I would like to get a budget friendly photography light from EBay sometime to help my photos.

Nappen
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsMASTER BUILDER! Won 5 monthly Terrain Group Builds!Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 10 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 15 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 20 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon the second 'King of the Hill' challengesWon the third 'King of the Hill' challengesAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!

Post by Nappen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 am

It is cool. Looking through ebay hills, there are a ton of them. Not sure how much you can make on them, but every bit helps, I guess.

tinker
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by tinker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Two months ago there was pretty much only one guy selling hills. He did pretty well and now EBay is saturated with low grade stuff, and a few quality pieces. I think I am going to build matching table tiles to go with my hills and sell it as a set.

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:26 am

That sounds like a good idea. I noticed the same thing. When I first started playing about a year ago, I could hardly find any terrain on ebay. Now there was tons. I am starting to collect up too much terrain, so though about trying to get rid of some on ebay, but not sure it is worth it. After fees and shipping...Maybe a new topic on this is in order...

Xaz
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Xaz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Terrain swap!

I like em. Really have a nice bio organic look. An entire map based around that would look great.
Orks 5680

Necrons 3170

Space Marines 2100

Nappen

Post by Nappen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:59 am

There is a new modular board for you to build :)

tinker
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by tinker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Nappen wrote:There is a new modular board for you to build :)
Started on it this weekend. Trying to make the organic stuff work for spots on the board itself.
I did come up with a way to lock the tiles together. I hate when one tile gets bumped and your whole board moves apart.