asian themed Necron stargate???

Talk about anything related to creating and painting cool terrain for Warhammer and other tabletop games.
raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

asian themed Necron stargate???

Post by raalgon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:02 am

Hello all. It has been a long time. Well i dusted off a project, and restarted it. Right now I am working on a necron tomb world. I am putting together a stargate like item. It is based off a Japanese Temple gateway pictured below.

The gateway will be built from paper. I will be using a pepakura model as a base. Also I will be using a combination of Krazy Glue, Elmer's extra strength glue stick, and Elmer's wood glue. Even though Elmer's glue is water base these two glue do not expand alot when applied to paper.

The beginning of the main gateway.

Here is a headless necron warrior for a size reference if the tiled mate didn't help.

Here we have a closer look at the main beam holding the gateway. I had to split it into two to make it fit through the pillars. I had a issue with the razer blade becoming dull and it caused more damage than i like, but it is fixable with some glue filler.

Here we have the holes in the pillars for the additional beams. The bottom hole is the standard hole that I made in both beams 8 times. However as i was dry fitting the additional beams I found out that I had to make the hole a little bigger. The result is the top hole. Sadly I will have to custom expand each hole to deal with the slight difference in each of the smaller beams.

Since i knew i had to make each hole a bit different, I went ahead and marked each beam with a number that also corresponded with each pillar hole to ensure that I reduce further mistakes.

So you maybe wonder what the deal is with the smaller beams? why are they a tan like color, and how did you get those designs? Well after dry fitting I decieded to coat the beam in the woodglue, which drys to that tan color. However, remebering that elmer's glue is water base it cause ripples in the paper. I countered the warping from the glue by laying the wet sided down on a smooth surface and let it dry. I placed several weights, and straight edge weights to ensure that the wet side drys smooth and straight. Since i did not go with filler to fill in the cavities that the glue made i decided to leave them so that when i begin painting i will have interesting areas to show off aged metal.

Here i began to modify each hole and dry fitting each beam. I am pleased with the results.

Right now, I am letting the smaller pillars dry before i coat them in a thin layer of woodglue, like the larger pillars. I have a rough idea on how this should come out, but as we know in the art world, it's a living process, and we will not know how it will be until the artwork is complete. I will do my best to update often when it is possible.

You guys have thoughts? concerns? ideas? suggestions?
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分
A fate of many lifetimes destined on red paper

Guildenstern
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildWon 3 monthly Terrain Group BuildsHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: asian themed Necron stargate???

Post by Guildenstern » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:16 pm

This is really cool, can't wait to see more!
Dez: "PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!"
Guildy's WIP thread (mostly Skaven)
Guildy's weeklypaint thread! (everything mostly not Skaven!)

raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raalgon » Wed May 23, 2018 1:08 am

Hi guys it's been a while like a couple of years????? Ok wow well in necron fashion I am back ish..... Found some spare time from work to begin priming the torii Necron Gate. Sprayed some black primer on the top part, and I have sheen flashing, which is great because I was hoping for this effect, but also I notice a few gaps I will need to fill properly.

Hopefully more to come, and hopefully photobucket doesn't remove my other pictures.
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分

raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raalgon » Wed May 23, 2018 1:44 am

Hi guys, I primed a few more pieces, the black primer really did a great job of making the intended imperfection come out.

Also the primer did a wonderful job of pointing out a loose piece that was not glued down well.

Thats all I can get done for now, time for bed and work later.
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分

LordMcAllister
Silver Vault Member
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by LordMcAllister » Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Welcome back! I remember seeing this when you started it. Still like it, I hope it won't take two more years to see it being finished, though! :D But I wouldn't mind, as long as you keep up this high level of building!
Painted in 2018:
AdMech: 2 Vanguard
Marines: 1 Rhino, 6 Primaris Intercessor, 1 Captain in gravis armour, 1 Scribbus Wretch
Shadespire: 4 Sepulchral Guard

raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raalgon » Fri May 25, 2018 3:46 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks. With my new job as a real estate agent, I need to vent stress and glad to pick up where I left off. Maybe another 2 years for update..... 8) Nah...well I hope not.
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分

raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raalgon » Thu May 31, 2018 2:10 am

Now that most of the Torii gate is primed I went and test sprayed Rustoleum Gold chrome paint. The result turned out pretty good.

I did a light buff to help bring out more of the shine.
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分

raalgon
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raalgon » Thu May 31, 2018 2:15 am

Next up is a couple of the beams with a light coat of metallic smoke. The physical details are starting to stand out.
一紙紅箋約下累世緣分