Changing the game to an RPG?

Some members of the MiniWarGaming Community wanted to develop their own game; this is the official place to do that! Keep in mind that this is not related to MiniWarGaming's own project, Primal Horizon.
SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Changing the game to an RPG?

Post by SageMonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:26 am

So, I've been rolling the idea around in my head for a while about creating an RPG set in the future on a war torn and radiated planet (sort of like we've got going now) and I was wondering if you guys (Jaman mostly) would like to change the idea from a miniatures game to an RPG. It would be harder, but I think it would be fun and we would be able to create something new and exciting, something no one has seen before. It would also allow me to get my brain working on some REALLY in depth fluff for the game, as miniatures games don't generally require too much fluff to play, while RPGs run on fluff. It would also allow us to make some unique and very in depth combat, movement, and interaction systems for the game, because everything is on a much smaller scale.

So, tell me what you think, not much would need to be changed, but in the end, it's up to you guys. If you want to continue with what we are currently doing, I'm fine with that, I can do the RPG by myself, but I just think it would be much ewasier to have two or three people working on it.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

Marine
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Changing the game to an RPG?

Post by Marine » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Fluffy games are fun. And they give you an opportunity to write. A lot.

I think it is a good idea. But wouldn't it be good to keep a squad version and an RPG version?
Counting graves like sheep
Don't help you sleep.

My Brothers in arms...

It was a mistake

SageMonkey
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:52 pm

WOLVERINES! wrote:Fluffy games are fun. And they give you an opportunity to write. A lot.

I think it is a good idea. But wouldn't it be good to keep a squad version and an RPG version?

Sure, but that would complicate everything too much and I don't really want to write for TWO games, let's keep it at one for now.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

Jaman
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Jaman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:16 pm

actually sage im with you on this, i think a RPG version would work much better than a normal game for many reasons, firstly we don't have to worry about models as much, i mean there are plenty of great singles out there. secondly it means we can have the game on a moving time line, as in Version 1 would be set soon after the calamity then version 2 a bit latter on and so on and so forth.

however i would like to combine the two as in each play takes control of a small group of survivors/ gangs this would aloow for PvP and more DnD like play what do you guys think.

orkmek101
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by orkmek101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm

well i find it a bit hard to make an rpg with riffles and stuff. but if its sword and shield it would be much easier. but i had an ideal werre you get 5 skills like ranged, attack, combo attack, parry and another that comes with that certain character. then you level up and get somme other cool stuff.

what do you guys think???

yoyomansizzle
Ribbons Earned: RED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.

Post by yoyomansizzle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:59 pm

It reminds me of a Fallout 3 board game =D
Rengar 2012.
"Sizzles picture art is different though. He actually took the time to create the picture he posted using photo shop software. That is creativity. You newb trolls could learn something from him." -Vassago42

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 pm

orkmek101 wrote:well i find it a bit hard to make an rpg with riffles and stuff. but if its sword and shield it would be much easier. but i had an ideal werre you get 5 skills like ranged, attack, combo attack, parry and another that comes with that certain character. then you level up and get somme other cool stuff.

what do you guys think???

Ever heard of Dark Heresy :wink: ?

I think it would be easy to do it with rifles, all you need is a power stat, range stat, and any other relevant stat. Shooting would be simpler than melee.

@Jaman: I think it should be one character to one player, and then just be in a group with others (kind of like Borderlands) and then have a DM type guy running the game. I can work on a general outline of what I/we want to achieve with this if you want.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

orkmek101
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by orkmek101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:05 pm

well the reason the reason i find it easier is if your making a game with minimim luck. but if you would rather a riffle rpg, every character should have a for sure range and anything beyond that is on a 4+ lets say, like a sniper gets a range of 18 inches that is a aranteed hit but if the enemy is further you have to roll. 18 inches is a bit long but i hope you get my point. but if you have a different weapon like a shotgun wich is a close range weapon it drops down since a shotgun shell spreads out. also it should be that if yo u die you run into the field as a medic and try to find your body before you get shot. if you get to your body the medic die's but you comme back and start playing again.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 am

orkmek101 wrote:well the reason the reason i find it easier is if your making a game with minimim luck. but if you would rather a riffle rpg, every character should have a for sure range and anything beyond that is on a 4+ lets say, like a sniper gets a range of 18 inches that is a aranteed hit but if the enemy is further you have to roll. 18 inches is a bit long but i hope you get my point. but if you have a different weapon like a shotgun wich is a close range weapon it drops down since a shotgun shell spreads out. also it should be that if yo u die you run into the field as a medic and try to find your body before you get shot. if you get to your body the medic die's but you comme back and start playing again.
The thing about RPGs is that nothing should ever be guaranteed, or at least not anything that involves combat. It makes the game too easy if you can just hit anything within a certain range, there always has to be some luck involved. Of course, the DM is allowed to bend the rules slightly to make the game more interesting, so if you miss you're shot by 1, then the DM can let that pass.

As for the medic thing, if you are playing with a party of friends (which you should be, there's no such thing as a pen and paper one player RPG), I'm sure they would be able to revive you with any kind healing item we implement into the game.

As for luck, I had this cool idea of using playing cards (for poker and the like) to represent a player's character's luck. So, let's say at the starting level of your character, you have one card representing your luck. This card will be a lucky card. So if let's say you're making a very important role, be it jumping over a large lava pit, or taking the killing shot on the end of scenario boss, you can choose to use this card before you roll, and depending on the number or value of the card, your roll will have a plus x bonus to it (x being the value of the card). Of course, neither the DM or player will see the value of the card before it is used, as cards are handed out randomly. Later we could implement unlucky cards, but as for now, what do you guys think?

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

orkmek101
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by orkmek101 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 am

i like the idea of the cards, but you should maybe have a certain amount of tokens to use in case you miss a role to jump across something, or you missed a shot. maybe each squad has a number of spaces availeble, like a sharpshooter, a heavy support, a fast attaquing guy, the commander, and a close combat master. and each of your team members chooses one to play in the game. so that lets say in the scenario you have to blow a door apart to get through. so the heavy support guy plants an explosive and blows the door open. also if you have to take out a special character like the coommander the team waits it out in cover while the sharpshooter takes him out.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 am

orkmek101 wrote:i like the idea of the cards, but you should maybe have a certain amount of tokens to use in case you miss a role to jump across something, or you missed a shot. maybe each squad has a number of spaces availeble, like a sharpshooter, a heavy support, a fast attaquing guy, the commander, and a close combat master. and each of your team members chooses one to play in the game. so that lets say in the scenario you have to blow a door apart to get through. so the heavy support guy plants an explosive and blows the door open. also if you have to take out a special character like the coommander the team waits it out in cover while the sharpshooter takes him out.
I'm not sure about that. the whole point of an RPG is to create your own personal character, and then tailor him to whatever play style you like. We would have classes and everything, so that if you wanted to be someone good at CC you could take a certain class then tailor it the way you'd like. Also, every character can take any weapon, they just won't be as good with it if, say, they are trying to use a sniper rifle when they are a CC guy, then if they were a character more adept with long ranged weapons.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

orkmek101
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by orkmek101 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 pm

ya, i get what you meen. there should be your starting stats then you get a certain amout of points to upgrade him to how you want him to be. so if yo take the fast guy you could put up he's cc so you could move in faster to attack.

Jaman
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Jaman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:16 pm

i like the idea, so you start out with a basic survivor and a few points to spend on some equipment, ( ie backpack, body armour, a basic weapon, rations ect), also there will be different backgrounds, for you character, then as the game progresses you character can pick up new weapons/ equipment and gets more experienced in using weapons and at survival.

since this wont be PvP i dont thinks weapons need range.

SageMonkey

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:21 pm

jaman wrote:i like the idea, so you start out with a basic survivor and a few points to spend on some equipment, ( ie backpack, body armour, a basic weapon, rations ect), also there will be different backgrounds, for you character, then as the game progresses you character can pick up new weapons/ equipment and gets more experienced in using weapons and at survival.

since this wont be PvP i dont thinks weapons need range.
You would create a character from scratch (including background) using a race of your choosing and class of your choosing each with their own benefits and abilities to help the character. You would start with some equipment, and then be able to buy, steal and find new weapons/equipment. You could buy new skills with experience points after you have leveled up, and you would develop your character from there.

Even if this isn't PvP, range is important. A pistol can't shoot as far as a sniper rifle, so why should it in game? The distance between players and enemies would either be described verbally by the DM, or would be shown via miniatures and a map.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

Jaman

Post by Jaman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:22 am

ok i think i get it now, so lets stop talking about it and do it

sage im gessing your dooing the fluff/backstory again, and i wouldnt mind at comming up with the game mechanichs if thats ok