Community Game RULES

Some members of the MiniWarGaming Community wanted to develop their own game; this is the official place to do that! Keep in mind that this is not related to MiniWarGaming's own project, Primal Horizon.
Jombo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Community Game RULES

Post by Jombo » Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Alrighty boys! Let's get our brains together and come up with some ideas for rules!

If you don't mind, I will take your suggestions, and (most likely) put them into a final (and professional looking) rule-book.

I was thinking that we could make three versions.

The first would be a skirmish sized game.

The second would be a ship battle.

The third would be a full sized battle.

I was thinking we could work on the skirmish sized game first, so, go ahead and start popping off ideas.

EDIT: I won't be typing up the rules, my life is just too busy. You guys will have to find someone else.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

Jaman
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Re: Community Game RULES

Post by Jaman » Thu May 21, 2009 1:26 pm

um a few ideas

rolling to see how many guns are loaded before rolling to see if they hit

1 set of ships people can make their fleets from but can chose different factions to upgrade their ships

environmental effects(storms ect)

boarding parties

let me explain my shhoting idea

for each gun/ turret modelled on the ship you role a dice on a 4+ ( basic ) that gun is now loaded

the see which guns fire on a 2+

you then see which guns hit there target 4+ basic

role for damage (armour against strength then again on a damage table)

defensive guns ( ie mg's and AA's) are always loaded and are used anaginst small targets (ie life rafts and airoplane/helicopter attack) and damage is rolled in the same way thogh you need a 5+ to hit due to the nature of the target

Jaman
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' EntryWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Jaman » Thu May 21, 2009 6:43 pm

what the eviroment effects

by that i mean storms fog anything that migth effect game play

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Thu May 21, 2009 6:49 pm

This is the one that I mean:
jaman wrote:1 set of ships people can make their fleets from but can chose different factions to upgrade their ships
And the environmental effects is one of my favorite ideas of yours.
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Jaman

Post by Jaman » Thu May 21, 2009 6:57 pm

ohhh that ide basicly we make 1 set of ships ie say 5 different classes and several different ships in that class people make their fleets from that list for instance

1 aircrafft carier

4 destroyers

2 cruisers

they then paint those to their own colours and chose upgrades from a seperate list

dose tha make it clearer its just that by doing it that way we have to find less models to play with

Eclipsemc3
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Eclipsemc3 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:00 pm

do you guys mind if i use some of your ideas to make a minitures game?
To Kalon!
~995pts High Elves

Jombo

Post by Jombo » Thu May 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Well since that is what is trying to be done here, you might as well contact jaman and talk to him about it. :wink:
Splinter Fleet Phobos

sanandraes
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by sanandraes » Sat May 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Here's something that's always irked me. When you have a pistol or something, and the soldier next to you with a machine gun dies, wouldn't you probably pick it up? It's the one thing about miniature games that can irk me so far. maybe work that in somehow, like, spending a turn picking up the ammo and the gun instead of shooting or moving?
Necrons: too few to count

With all the people still listening to "real music", I'm positive that 92% is just a wee bitty wrong.

The spelling you must look upon... Then understanding you shall have.

-DavicusPrime

Eclipsemc3
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Eclipsemc3 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:26 pm

yes but then wouldn't there have to be a slight penalty for not being as good with it? Because if all you do is use a pistol and train with one you would probably be bad with a machine gun.
To Kalon!
~995pts High Elves

Jaman

Post by Jaman » Sun May 31, 2009 6:08 am

Eclipsemc3 wrote:yes but then wouldn't there have to be a slight penalty for not being as good with it? Because if all you do is use a pistol and train with one you would probably be bad with a machine gun.
true very true

and to reply to your previous coment why not join the comunity game bandwagon and write the rules for it i realy wouldny mind

Marine
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Marine » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:48 pm

You need boarding subs. Like having a submarine which speeds up to the enemy ship on the side that isn't engaged in combat and surprise the heck out of everyone by unloading a squad onto their ship.

Also you should have one man ships that can go unnoticed like um... a BOARDING SUBMARINE! And yes, it is yellow.
Counting graves like sheep
Don't help you sleep.

My Brothers in arms...

It was a mistake

Jaman

Post by Jaman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:57 pm

lol

SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 am

If this is a skirmish game, we should set it in the city. I have played a lot of skirmish games, and I find that city fighting suits it best.

At the scale of a skirmish game (5-10 models per side) we should make the rules very intuitive. Say, if a character is beside some piping that goes up the side of a building, he can choose to try and climb it to get to the top. Or if an enemy is behind cover, you can throw a grenade at it to force the enemy to move into the open, so you can try to gun him down.

This game should focus on small scale events, which would allow you to be able to do more things in the environment you are playing in.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey

Jaman

Post by Jaman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:42 am

i was thinking more along the lines of 2-4 5 man squads and a comander

SageMonkey
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by SageMonkey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:11 am

jaman wrote:i was thinking more along the lines of 2-4 5 man squads and a comander
Well, you begin to lose the skirmish feeling at 15 to 20 models. Maybe we could make it 3 models is the minimum, and 15 is the maximum, so that we don't lose the skirmish feeling.

Thanks,

-sagemonkey