Final Fantasy Wargame

Some members of the MiniWarGaming Community wanted to develop their own game; this is the official place to do that! Keep in mind that this is not related to MiniWarGaming's own project, Primal Horizon.
Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Final Fantasy Wargame

Post by Spacefrisian » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:54 am

Seems to me its kind of a shame there isnt a Final Fantasy wargame, so why not brew something together as a community project.

Note: i assume that those who get here arent living under a rock and know what Final Fantasy is.

Than my ideas.

The game will not be based upon any of the specific Final Fantasy games (FF), its rather based upon the elements that define the computer game.

D6 system, most have acces to d6 dice, no fancy stuff.

Armie setup:
-Team of 3/5 heroes, a job system allows you to customize your heroes. These will form your leaders, you either divide them over your armie or let them team up.
-Army units, several highly customisable type of units, think of Knights, Soldiers, Chocobo knights or Mage units.
-Monster units: some iconic monster units such as Bombs or Iron Giants.
-Summoned creatures.

No set factions in terms of what units they have, however some faction upgrades could be added, these upgrades would work more Like Warmachine Tierlists, eg Shinra list would include Soldiers with guns for the most part.

So this is a start, however i could use some help so get some of your input, bring some ideas to the board.
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind

Zetr0
MiniWarGaming Regular

Re: Final Fantasy Wargame

Post by Zetr0 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 am

@Spacefrisian

I personally would love to see a table-top Final Fantasy Game, the closest to this is in fact Final Fantasy Tactics which was released on the Playstation (original) in 1997.

Click here for Final Fantasty Tactics : War of the Lions - Review

Its a fantastically involved game, its turn based, has magic, magical items / weapons, many creature types, an archetype system called Job System. Really really good, highly scalable in size of armies from small 5 man units up to 20 unit squads on a small to large board.

It uses an initiative system for units to move / fire and this is between players. Truly a great game and should and characters can obtain experience, items from enemies.

If you were thinking of creating an RPG / War Game based in a FF Universe then Final Fantasy Tactics should be your first port of call for inspiration and ideas.

You can read more about the game, its setting and environment by clicking here
If I had a hammer.......

Zetr0
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Zetr0 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:55 am

Oh, while I think of it, another cool war gaming system could be implemented from a Game Called Front Mission (Yes another Square Enix game).... I swear that company has a line on my soul!

I love that game.... you build up your mech's and FIGHT! whooo what's more fun than that.... apparently there's a story and plot..... but with all the mech - customization and turn based strategy I got lost blowing my opponents to smithereens!

(click to see some game play)

I should say that with anything Square / Square-Enix its got a lot of polish and a huge JRPG Giga-Drama setting!

It has lots of weapons, units (including vehicles) and did I say MECH's!!!

Front mission is a great game that I still play today on my PSP and Original XBox via emulation!
If I had a hammer.......

Spacefrisian
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

Post by Spacefrisian » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:46 pm

I know those games, and i had some actual ideas about a Front mission game myself, keeping as close as possible to the computer game, something with a grid like in game this could be used to move and measure shooting ranges. But alas i could not get onto a good damage system.
The clans are marching against the law
Bagpipers play the tunes of war
Death or glory I will find
Rebellion on my mind