Primal Horizon Factions

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
miniwargaming
Site Admin

Primal Horizon Factions

Post by miniwargaming » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 pm

A lot of people have been asking us to further develop the factions in Primal Horizons. This thread will give you the information that we have as we have it.

Right now the factions are rough outlines of what is to come, so none of this is final.

The Shield

The Shield believe that the Event provides a unique opportunity to finally bring "peace" to the world. They believe in protecting elements of the Old World while also using this time to bring in new ideals that wouldn't be allowed before.

The Shield has been able to preserve a lot of Old World technology, given them an advantage in battle. Unfortunately they are few in number, forcing them to progress slowly in their plan on world "peace."

Members of the Shield aren't necessarily benevolent and charitable. In fact, there are differing political views within the Shield as to how the technology that they have saved should be used. Some believe that by trade and negotiation that people can be unified. Others believe that they should use their advanced weaponry to force humanity into unifying with their beliefs.

For this reason you will find both "good" and "bad" Shield members and Shield sub-factions, carrying out the idea of unification in their own ways.

The Galagido

The Galagido are an interesting group. They originated on the Galapagos Islands, where they found an ancient "shrine" shortly after the Event. The shrine emitted a sort of strange radiation which dulled the natives intelligence but sharpened their senses.

The people of the Galapagos Islands began worshiping these shrines as having been "sent from the gods." A society of shamans leading tribes began, and after several decades of infighting, they mostly became a unified tribe and moved to the mainland of the American continent where they continued to spread and seek new lands.

The Galagido advance into combat wearing nothing but a loin cloth, tribal ornaments, and wielding their powerful spears. Many who have underestimated them have fallen quickly to their spears. The truth is that the shrine that they found also carried great technological discoveries that the Galagido viewed as magical. Some of this technology was fused into their spears and weaponry, giving them a surprising advantage that others wouldn't expect.

What they lack in armour is made up in speed, agility, and a tribal ferociousness that many have not seen for centuries.

Marauders

Marauders come in all sorts of shapes in sizes. There is no "one" Marauder faction, but instead a large number of groups of bandits who live nomadic lifestyles and survive by looting abandoned cities, and when that fails, killing others for their food and property.

Most marauders use make-shift weapons that they have found and, to the best of their ability, "fixed up" to work in combat. Their weapons are not as powerful as the Shield or the Galagido, but the Marauders are far greater in numbers as the lure for having a lifestyle that requires very little work draws in many of the surviving humans.

Loota
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge

Re: Primal Horizon Factions

Post by Loota » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:35 am

Only going to have three factions? Or are you going to make more? I think possiblaties are endless with your scencio, the event could have mutated people into gaint beasts, or super smart beings.
"Loota, the little goody-goody boy who likes to stay on-topic and only plays Orks because they make him feel like a bad-butt"-Jombo

"I nuke posts like it's 2012"-Asrodrig

Visit my Youtube channel: Lootaful
Yeah Loota was taken.

Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Apa1994 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:12 am

Loota wrote:Only going to have three factions? Or are you going to make more? I think possiblaties are endless with your scencio, the event could have mutated people into gaint beasts, or super smart beings.
Just a question: What do you think!?

Armageddon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Armageddon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:58 am

nice to see how you solved the problem of two players having the same faction and i like how you have written about there pros and cons too.

Armageddon
A good friend helps you up when you tip over, A best friend laughs and trips you up again :D
CPP wrote:Go full scale. :wink:
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Frozt
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Frozt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:01 pm

actually, as they plan to have the storyline advance by actions we do, they will come out with new factions and expansions down the road. After all, 40k started with rogue trader with just Orks and space marines after all!
VC w1/L0/T0
Orks w3/L1/T1 (darn weedy gitz *lost to eldar*)

Maikacir
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Maikacir » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Hmm.. I was wondering if you guys could make a description on how the figurines would look like? I mean, like "The Shield", are they going to be as heavy armoured as the Space marines in 40k? if yes - would space marines figurines be a good alternative, until you come up with your own figurines(if you do?)?
The reason why I'm asking this, is that I really want to try this game out - but I don't have any 40k figurines (I mostly play Warhammer Fantasy and Mordheim :D ).
So I have to go out and buy some figs, before I can test the game - but I don't really just wan't to waste money on figs that wont really work as the faction they were ment to representate.

Just a sidenote:
I love how you are making this a "small-scale" game, and not another 1000+pts-game.
I like the small scale skirmish-kinda games the most :D

And btw. It's very late around here in Denmark and I'm really tired, so if I'm not making myself clear in this message, if you have any problems understanding what I mean and if my gramma sucks - that is why! :P

Ironblood
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Ironblood » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I really like the galagido. Shield sounds EXACTLY like the brotherhood of steel. Makes me want to try to convert some marine scouts into initiates in combat armor and marine models into t-51b power armor wearing BoS paladins.

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:01 pm

Maikacir wrote:Hmm.. I was wondering if you guys could make a description on how the figurines would look like? I mean, like "The Shield", are they going to be as heavy armoured as the Space marines in 40k? if yes - would space marines figurines be a good alternative, until you come up with your own figurines(if you do?)?
The reason why I'm asking this, is that I really want to try this game out - but I don't have any 40k figurines (I mostly play Warhammer Fantasy and Mordheim :D ).
So I have to go out and buy some figs, before I can test the game - but I don't really just wan't to waste money on figs that wont really work as the faction they were ment to representate.

Just a sidenote:
I love how you are making this a "small-scale" game, and not another 1000+pts-game.

And btw. It's very late around here in Denmark and I'm really tired, so if I'm not making myself clear in this message, if you have any problems understanding what I mean and if my gramma sucks - that is why! :P
You don't give yourself enough credit, you have better english grammar than most people on youtube!

Maikacir
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by Maikacir » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:27 pm

Fusebox45 wrote:
Maikacir wrote:Hmm.. I was wondering if you guys could make a description on how the figurines would look like? I mean, like "The Shield", are they going to be as heavy armoured as the Space marines in 40k? if yes - would space marines figurines be a good alternative, until you come up with your own figurines(if you do?)?

Just a sidenote:

You don't give yourself enough credit, you have better english grammar than most people on youtube!
Thanks ^^
Well, I didn't actually mean I suck at english or anything - just that I'm pretty tired at the moment, and having a hard time concentrating.. Here in Denmark it's about half past 1 at night, soo.. Maybe I should go to bed? XD

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:56 pm

Maikacir wrote:
Fusebox45 wrote:

Just a sidenote:

Thanks ^^
Well, I didn't actually mean I suck at english or anything - just that I'm pretty tired at the moment, and having a hard time concentrating.. Here in Denmark it's about half past 1 at night, soo.. Maybe I should go to bed? XD
Dun wurry, bad gramer on da interwebz is acspetibl

zuzu
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by zuzu » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 am

i enjoy the forces that have come out thus far... excited to see how things develop and how fast this game can grow to a success :D .
Chaos Space Marines--4,000pts
Chaos Daemons--1750pts
Orks--1500pts
Fantasy
Warriors of Chaos--2250pts
Skaven--1500pts
Primal Horizen
Hopefully Shield

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:33 am

There will definitely be more factions. I'm keeping it simple for playtesting, which is why I created a shooty faction (The Shield), a close combat faction (Galagido), and one in between (Marauders).

Matthew

SkullThrone77
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by SkullThrone77 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm

Edit Out*
Space Wolves-1500 Points

Puppettamer
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Puppettamer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 am

great stuff hope to see more in the near future

Ariyaris
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Ariyaris » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:27 pm

So Galagido should be using something simmilar to "power weapons" from WH40k ??
I was thinking today of how to have that and... i got the idea.
Advanced nano-machines always self-repairing the blade to remain it's sharp edge monoatomic or at least monomolecular.

It also may contain some kind of energy bursting probes in itself which deal lethal damage to the victim even if not penetrated by the spear.

But... so sharp spear can pierce trough any body armour we have today... even certain iron plates (if not thick too much)

Selfrepairing means it remains always sharp! :)
(monoatomic/monomolecular sharp edge would loose it's sharpness in 2 or 3 hits but with selfrepairing it's not happening :D )

Since they have no armour, and rely on speed, mobility and their acute senses. In some rare cases would you give them to have force field generators providing certain amount of "damage reduction" "damage resistance" or even small cover save from ranged small caliber weapons?

[these are some of ideas that crossed my mind at the moment, oh and as you may see, the explanations for technology {at least what i can provide} are not described trough rules but trough some sort of "realistic" point of view, if i may say so. It is job of developers to shape it in the rules of the game in the way they seem best fitting :) ]
You primitives think you own the stars but you have no conception of what you are saying. You can barely command your own lumpen bodies, so how do you believe that you can subjugate entire worlds?