hiding in my hole, trench warfare

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
rabidgerbil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

hiding in my hole, trench warfare

Post by rabidgerbil » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:34 pm

I think you realize like in D Day leaving a bunch of guys on a beach without cover isn't going to turn out well for them.

That being said I feel like I need more of a reason to risk close quarter attacks. The game seems to be reduced to two forces hiding behind cover trying to throw as much lead as possible at the other. I am more of a ballistic player anyway, maybe it was my style.

Of course I was playing with just troops. maybe the viechles will bring in another dynamic as moving cover that you can run some guys in behind.

So my urge is to have some ability of stealth, camoflage, or if alien tech say an unreliable cloaking device or an unaccurate transporter. I feel like I want more of a dynamic to urge some of my forces forward, rather than just hiding behind cover taking shots.

Of course senarios could urge them forward, and there is cover and flanking. Still that's my impression. I do enjoy the idea of "pinning" game mechanic of forcing them down hiding in cover.
Thus says the Rabidgerbil
Hey pal, can you spare a Warjack for a vagabond Warcaster down on his luck?

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Re: hiding in my hole, trench warfare

Post by miniwargaming » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:22 pm

I definitely agree with you. Dave and I played a game today and it seemed to do the same thing, although when I did flank him with a flamethrower it was quite devastating.

I am doing some changes to the system right now to make cover less powerful as well as making the game much quicker, but in the end I think it will be the scenarios that will force players out of their hiding places.

Matthew

Infardi
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Infardi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm

I disagree, this game is the closest thing to real life combat i've seen. That's what happens in real war, you get prolonged shootout's with a few bolts going here and there and each trying to put a lead in the other's head. And as Matt said, and i agree close assaults should be the massacre of the game, they should be quick devastating and totally tolling on the player. So you get two things: pro longed shoot out's that result in stalemates and units being tied down. Then that would encourage the players to use more flanking maneuvres which would in turn result in a devastating and possibly fatal attack (which in real life combat are mostly the "final blow" type of attacks) to maybe even both players.

but also this taken in mind imagine the glory, of your units getting shot and then you run out like a madmen across dead zone, men falling and dying around as the others rush towards their enemy. And as they get close in a few seconds of bloody rage and hate they clash with blades and close combat weapons to lay waste to their enemy. and in the end die heroes of war or live as the glorious soldiers that they portray to be.

We'll i think that prolonged shootouts encourage close combat daring and taking risks, which makes games much more interesting.
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

"If your the last man standing, then your not fighting hard enough!"

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 pm

I agree, cover is probably the best think to have unless a tank or heavy support
Almost anyone would probably want to shoot at each other then get real messy and go handtohand
Unless you could sneak units into a flank without him seeing (which is impossible)
But you shouldn't be able to camp in the same cover forever. It should be able to be blown up by some sort of blast or deteriorate away after being shot at after a while
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 pm

What I've found in a quick run through (running the game with a Character; shooting squad; combat/Close range squad; sniper/counter sniper). Is this game can be quite explosive if you can pull a squad around the side. I had a cheep dog squad pwn a shotgun squad in 2 turns, and they proceeded to run up the side to flank another unit. I think the game plays fine as long as you build your 'army' right. An all shooty army can work well, but if the other person has combat units flanking the shooter will have to compensate by letting up somewhere else.
I think it comes down to how you move your combat force and what it consists of.

Armageddon
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Armageddon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:10 pm

yes, this game is a lot like real life this can have its good and bad quality's.

It would be cool to have some kind of deployable cover that could be moved forwards like riot shields and specially designed tanks with bulldozers and stuff.

you could form a shield wall then as you get closer open a hole in the middle and charge with a close combat squad and jump the enemy's cover or something, this may seem a bit OP but you have forgotten about mortars and snipers etc.

again just a thought. and a little off subject
A good friend helps you up when you tip over, A best friend laughs and trips you up again :D
CPP wrote:Go full scale. :wink:
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Yea the way it is is fine and this is how it is in most warfare

2 forces are stalemated until the other gives way, a flanking manuver ousts the other out of cover, air support helps one side, or armor punches a hole thru the enemy lines etc

Personally I'd want to be shooting my enemy from behind cover other that other stuff, it's just safer that way

I do really like the idea of a degradeble environment, because there isn't gonna be a lot of log, wall, bunker left after a day of continuous fighting

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 pm

wow sorry didn't see my original post

rabidgerbil
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by rabidgerbil » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I'm not questioning if you read my post carefully that it is indeed like real fighting... like I said in my origonal thread starting post mentioning D Day where thousands died being thrown on a beach with no cover.

I think the point that some folks are missing is if that is the goal of the game fine. However I think it taints the game for me a bit to have my army ripped to shreads in one swoop. Sure it makes sense if you play in the road your likely to get run over, but this is a game... and it's no fun to be trashed in one round. Realistic maybe but it's also realistic if your playing to people reading novels to sit there motionless. I think it should be dynamic over decimating... real war isn't fun.
Thus says the Rabidgerbil
Hey pal, can you spare a Warjack for a vagabond Warcaster down on his luck?