It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Still, it's easier to find 1,000 cars *anywhere* than 1,000 tanks in Russia ;)

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:13 pm 
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
In modern tanks most of the tech involved is with targeting systems and communications. Targeting systems which could be replaced with a camcorder duct-tapped to the barrel... figuring out how to repair the mechanical stuff only needs a mechanic and a few spare parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:13 pm 
The Duckiest!

Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryRED FLAG: Failed to complete a Challenge.Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
The same argument could be made for cars in that case. Sure, power steering and computerized traction control are fine, but all you really need are 4 wheels and an engine to make it work.

The point is, there are WAY more cars and common vehicles in the world than there are tanks. Also, a 'modern' tank would likely be obsolete by the time of the event, completely antiquated, and quite possibly even decommissioned.

As I've mentioned before, the game takes place about 60-70 years after The Event, so even a young mechanic at the time would be in their late 80s or early 90s. Sure, they could have trained others in their craft over time, but they wouldn't have access to the same tools and facilities they were used to. For the most part, a trained mechanic in Primal Horizon would have limited second-hand information to go on, a poor selection of tools to work with, and no parts dealers to call up - they'd be jury-rigging every repair with whatever they could find to get the job done.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:14 pm 
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
I could see there being lots of vehicles based on salvaged cars. Anybody seen the last Resident Evil Movie? They had a whole caravan of scratched-together cars and trucks, including a tanker and a bus. Vehicles like that would work well in factions like the Bandits.

Tanks? I doubt it. Maybe APC's and such, but they'd cost a lot of points, seeing as they'd probably offer a large measure of cover, potent firepower, and safe transport. A Chimera-like vehicle would be one of the best you'd get in this game, seeing as they want to keep it small, and being able to fire as many guns as a Chimera has.. whew.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 pm 

Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries
I think that tanks could have their place in this world... Sure they would be few and far between (not to mention expensive). I'm not saying super high tech stuff... maybe a Sherman style or Panzer IV style tank.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:39 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

OK, i love armored half-tracks and tanks but think about it, wouldnt be easier to ride horses then finding and repairing demolished cars when only 1/1,000- 1/10,000 work? Because all a horse needs is food and watering (maybe shoes) while cars need lots of maintnence. Also horses could at as alarm systems, they are always on the lookout for predators! I really think that there should be some mounted units on horses.
-CptKracker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 pm 

Also horses can't take cover and are not armored, so they would die quickly. (not mentioning they are large targets). They also buck and kick, so using a weapon effectively from them would be difficult if not impossible. Also they eat and drink a lot more than regular soldiers, so they would be hard to keep fit.

In battle horses or mounted troops will make excellent target practice but not much else. As transportation they would be good.

Kind of like motorcycles. Modern soldiers use motorcycles to get around. (specific units anyway) They don't use them in combat.

Horses could be used as portable cover though... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:16 am 
Site Admin

I like the idea of horses as transportation but not in combat, for many of the same reasons that DracoAvian pointed out, but also because I don't like the way they "feel" in this game.

For those reasons you probably won't be seeing horses make it into combat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:38 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Quad bikes desperately need a cool wargames model

way to world domination

Being negative is easy. Being positive is handing your dignity round

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:27 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Alcominos

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:51 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Lets narrow down the list a bit
Cars (scrap parts put together that can move)
Horses*
possibly tanks, APCs, halftracks
anymore?

*think a horse tank. an armored cart with the handles also armored
|-| alright the horse pulls the cart behind the -
___ <- armored sides
| | <- cart (i think its more like a wagon)
| |

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

lol you would need A LOT if horses to pull an armored wagon, at least one that can survive missile attacks plus wouldn't the horses be blown to bits or carved up by machine gun fire??

CPP wrote:
Go full scale. :wink:

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:56 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

I agree with pguard, quads would be AWESOME!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:58 pm 

Perhaps a hovercraft... Not like falcon grav tanks but like the modern ones. They either use turbines or very large fans.

Fast, manuverable, lightly armored weapon platforms or,
Fast, manuverable, lightly armored transport.

Can go over difficult terrain and water.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:02 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Thanks fusebox, sometimes it's easy to get stuck with the nitty-gritty details and forget that this game has to be, and I'll use his word choice, AWESOME. I'm thinking massive tyres and a stripped down frame 8)

way to world domination

Being negative is easy. Being positive is handing your dignity round