Warning: Explosive Content!

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Warning: Explosive Content!

Post by CptKracker » Sun May 31, 2009 2:45 am

After playing 2 games and watching a third, i had a idea that could put a quirk in anyones plan! Now i believe everyone knows that grenades explode with a spherical blast and that claymore (tripmines) explode in a certain direction (as far as i know). Now what if you threw a grenade that exploded in 1 direction? You would need some serious luck! I say there be a certain grenade class that does friendly damage (I think all 'nades should) but lands facing in a random direction! You could use a spin of a bottel to figure out the blast direction and use a flame template to show blast area. It is a wacky idea but i think it could be fun! Please comment!

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Re: Warning: Explosive Content!

Post by DracoAvian » Sun May 31, 2009 6:24 am

I don't think any soldier in his right mind would use a weapon that could injure him and his buddies or his enemies to the toss of a dice.

I like the idea of a directional weapon though. Maybe as a charge reaction, a unit equipped with claymores could let one of those babies off. It could take out a good chunk of a squad, but because of the narrowness of the flame template it couldn't stop the charge altogether.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Infardi
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Infardi » Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 am

But would a man believe in experimental weaponry? Say it is an experimental weapon, they know what will happen to the enemy from it and so they try it. Just they don't believe in that tiny chance that it will fail backfire and kill them.
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

"If your the last man standing, then your not fighting hard enough!"

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 3:04 pm

A spin the bottle is kinda hefty, I scatter die or a scatter table (refer to blood bowl) would work just as well.

On the idea side of that - I doubt that anyone in their right mind would use that. However I wouldn't put it past fanatics and other psychos who couldn't care less.

DracoAvian
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Won a monthly Terrain Group BuildHas Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entries

Post by DracoAvian » Sun May 31, 2009 3:10 pm

Yea, it would make sense if it was a fanatical unit.
Sometimes I play all the Elves. Sometimes I play Eldar or IG. But between school and warhammer, how's a fella supposed to eat?

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 pm

I like the idea of a Scatter blast but not so much a weapon that can kill your own guys.

What about a weapon that works by putting down a marker/glass bead. Then use a scatter die for the direction of the blast.

=)

Infardi
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Infardi » Sun May 31, 2009 4:41 pm

Or? maybe make the weapon that has the same aspect but doesn't kill your guys?, or maybe just the user. Eg. You throw it far enough that if the template points directly at the user of the grenade then it will be just touching him.
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

"If your the last man standing, then your not fighting hard enough!"

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Sun May 31, 2009 4:57 pm

Or just make it so the throw of the gernade is just farther then the lenght of the templet?

dingpong
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by dingpong » Sun May 31, 2009 5:27 pm

i personally like the claymore idea BUT they (MWG) would have to make their own templates for that (unless 40k has a template up its sleeve that i dont know about)
480 - Space Marines (i'm nooby i know)
Welcome To Pwnation
http://www.youtube.com/shadowmarinearmy
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

Tauguy14
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Won a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry
Location: The front line, fighting for the Greater good... And Chaos

Post by Tauguy14 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:13 pm

Maybe it's fired from some sort of grenade launcher?

Because I know I wouldn't want to be close when that thing goes off
3000+ Points of Tau

Black-Napalm
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Black-Napalm » Sun May 31, 2009 8:34 pm

DracoAvian wrote:I don't think any soldier in his right mind would use a weapon that could injure him and his buddies or his enemies to the toss of a dice.

I like the idea of a directional weapon though. Maybe as a charge reaction, a unit equipped with claymores could let one of those babies off. It could take out a good chunk of a squad, but because of the narrowness of the flame template it couldn't stop the charge altogether.
a defensive frag grenades can kill from a distance from 25 meters from the explosion that is why you would throw them when you and your mates were in cover. so i like this idea and if there were a rule with the grenade like if the unit that throw the grenade was in cover they would be fine but the cannot shot because they are in the dirt covering there ears. i think this would add even more strategy to this game.

Damn Lucky
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Damn Lucky » Sun May 31, 2009 8:38 pm

Fluff wise it could be a Plasma Grenade. The idea would be it's shooting off a cloud of super heated gas/plasma in a random direction.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Black-Napalm wrote:
DracoAvian wrote:I don't think any soldier in his right mind would use a weapon that could injure him and his buddies or his enemies to the toss of a dice.

a defensive frag grenades can kill from a distance from 25 meters from the explosion that is why you would throw them when you and your mates were in cover. so i like this idea and if there were a rule with the grenade like if the unit that throw the grenade was in cover they would be fine but the cannot shot because they are in the dirt covering there ears. i think this would add even more strategy to this game.
I think that would be more on the weapon side that it causes a Moral test before the grenade goes off. If the unit fails it must "go to ground", if they pass they may choose wither or not to.

Fusebox45
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Fusebox45 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:08 am

eh...too be honest this sounds really inneffective as a grenade, there's a good chance it will just completely miss the entire squad, even if it lands in say the middle of the line.

CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by CptKracker » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Well the whole reason for my idea was that regular grenades are a lil' to predictable, so why not one that shoots in a random direction.

a way to figure which way the blast goes is have a marker with a line on it, put it where the nade landed, roll a d-12 and use the mark like 12 o' clock, so you wound use almost like a clock for targeting. IDK.. im just brainstorming. For every good idea, there's a hundred bad ones!