Freelance writers, read this

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
Jombo
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #2Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Re: Freelance writers, read this

Post by Jombo » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 am

kknight25 wrote:I would gladly help you right a book on Primal Horizon, but soz right now I got the Dark Angels one, but it's aside for now. I can help you. I'll plan 4 that book too! Now just tell me what type of marines they r, bandits, gallidos or something like that and um the aliens( the ones from avp?) Glad to help, and I'll be paid maybe 10 bucks, just about that!
Ummmm, your supposed to send a sample of your writing to them so that they can see if they like your style or not. And $10 for one story? How long of one are you planning to write? :shock:
Splinter Fleet Phobos

Bought: [----[+]---------------] 448/1750
Assembled: [--[+]-----------------] 232/1750
Painted: [+]-------------------] 0/1750

Click for videos of Tyranids and Terrain! (Coming Soon)

pguard36
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by pguard36 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I have written something up on paper. Thought I will just type a paragraph now and if you think it is worth typeing up the whole thing, please tell me :).

As he stepped out onto the balcony, the piercing cold greeted him. He reached into a pocket before retreiving a bandage; white as the frost which sat in crisp patches, scattered as far as he could see. He struck once, then again, forcing a jagged knife through the material. The metal of his sniper made it unbearable to carry naked-handed; with a bandage now wrapped around them, only his fingers remained at the mercy of the evening.

----------------------------------

That was just a small extract. I am only 14 so if it is not up to par against more experienced writers, that is fine. Just a bit of fun really. Any feedback would be welcome.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him on your
(")_(") signature to help him on his
way to world domination

Being negative is easy. Being positive is handing your dignity round

kknight25
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by kknight25 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:54 am

I needa know a bit first about the races their things, but I'm having a idea right now of the marines being chased through the woods or something like that! Orkes' aka aliens!
]

EDIT: I've submitted my story, It's only part, and I might be able to improve. I'll give it to my teacher to read!

EDIT: I"M JUST A 12 YR OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thecrazydwarf
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #7

Post by Thecrazydwarf » Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Are you really?
All my posts are written on my ipod touch.
The eleventh commandment: go, and make terrain!
"When in doubt, attack." - General George Patton

Imperial_Scum
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Imperial_Scum » Fri May 29, 2009 11:10 am

I've sent in my piece. *makes the sign of the...wait, there's no Aquila in Primal Horizon* For those of you who are looking for a quick read....

Marlowe crouched down in front of the corpse of what had once been a young man. His once-pale face was covered with blood and a black ichor that was instantly recognizable to Marlowe. He rose to his feet, shouldering his rifle.

The ruins he was in had been a building sometime ago, destroyed by the incessant fighting that had ravaged its way through the city. Now it stood as shattered rubble, offering just another hiding place for troops. Though Marlowe’s curiosity got the better of him, and he could not help but wonder why the soldier had chosen this building in particular.

Marlowe stepped lightly through the building. He found a door blown open, its sandy color scored black. He stepped through to a room that had lost lighting, plunged into darkness. He flipped on the light on the bottom of his rifle. A small cone of light shot through the room. Maneuvering the light to get a good idea of the room he found it to be a supply base. Weapons, medicine, food. It was what anyone would dream of.

It was too good to be true, he reasoned. Caches like this didn’t exist. It was what he told his comrades as fairy tales. His mind raced back to the corpse, bloodied and covered in ichor.

He heard a noise behind him, a scuttling noise that sent his body into a cold sweat. In one trained, fluid motion, he spun around, swinging his rifle and light to bear on one of the aliens.

Its body was made of a black carapace, several layers of scales that slid over each other in some imitation of armor. It was probably only the size of a dog. It was on four legs, the rear simple mutli-jointed props and the forward ending in long claws that splayed across the ground. Its head was a maw of teeth, a circular mouth that was ringed with bony incisors. Its eyes, all four of them muddy gray pools, held no life in them.

Marlowe didn’t hesitate for one second. He shot the rifle. The loud chatter of the rounds flew out, and the alien scattered to one side. Marlowe tried to track it, twisting his waist as he did so, but the alien was too fast. He caught it in his sight, but only a moment too late. The alien was in mid-flight towards his face. Marlow brought up his rifle to block his face. That saved his life, catching the alien as he pushed it back down to the ground.

He spun his rifle back into a firing position and unloaded as many bullets as he could into the black creature. Its carapace burst open as the bullets split it, spilling ichor onto the ground. Marlowe didn’t stop until his magazine ran empty and the alien was little more than a splatter of black liquid.

Marlowe just stood there for a minute, his rifle still held at the ready, magazine out of bullets. He recollected himself eventually, slowing his breathing. He turned away from the dead creature, and then moved to the supplies. He loaded up on fresh ammunition and restocked his pack with food and water after checking boths’ freshness. He made his way out of the room and out towards the building.

On the way out, he passed by the corpse of the soldier. He looked down at him and whispered to the body. “Got him, mate.”

DooldeenBoosh
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by DooldeenBoosh » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm

I`m kinda a story writer and poet. I just heard about the whole Primal Horizon deal(in the last hour or so), created my acount and off to writing my entry. All I wanna say is...
PLEASE wait for me ^^

kknight25
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by kknight25 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Yeah i'm just twelve!

Exin
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by Exin » Sun May 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Is there any time limit on this yet? I am planning on sending something in also to go with my drawings.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 3:00 pm

So kknight25 - your 12 and expect to be paid for your story? O.o No offence but that's a little over expectant. If you were an experienced writer and the like then it would be more expected - at least then we have knowledge that you've had a published book and the like.

(Oh, and I might post a story but I have yet to read the full background)

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Corpsey » Sun May 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I hope its not too late. I just heard about PH when i went to check my youtube subscriptions, and rushed here to make an account and read up more on it.

My style might not be exactly whats sought after, but hey, it doesn't hurt to throw it out there, see what they see in it, you know?
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

Infardi
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Infardi » Sun May 31, 2009 6:00 pm

AlexDemille wrote:So kknight25 - your 12 and expect to be paid for your story? O.o No offence but that's a little over expectant. If you were an experienced writer and the like then it would be more expected - at least then we have knowledge that you've had a published book and the like.

(Oh, and I might post a story but I have yet to read the full background)
That's not true. You don't have to be over 16 or anything to publish a book, if he is talented then he may indeed publish a book. There was a kid that was smart as hell and talented in writing who wrote a book and had it published globally. If he is talented he can.
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

"If your the last man standing, then your not fighting hard enough!"

Ricochet180
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Ricochet180 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Infardi wrote: That's not true. You don't have to be over 16 or anything to publish a book, if he is talented then he may indeed publish a book. There was a kid that was smart as heck and talented in writing who wrote a book and had it published globally. If he is talented he can.
Are you thinking of Christopher Paolini?

He's the guy that wrote Eragon (or rather, the inheritance cycle. Four books - that's a lot of writing.) He finished the first draft when he was 15. It took a few years of revising, proofreading, editing and such to finally get it published, of course.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 8:20 pm

I didn't mean to deny that he might be a good writer - but asking for a payment for this kind isn't going to win him friends (I'm not marking myself as an enemy). You have to get your feet in there before you even think of asking for money.

Corpsey
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Corpsey » Sun May 31, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm not even interested in any sort of payment for this. I just want to be able to help this thing grow and expand, and bring various levels of joy to other people. That's the whole point of gaming isn't it? To have a good time?
The Rule Monkey is always right. Always.

AlexDemille
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Post by AlexDemille » Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm

Aie`, it is. For a project like this I think we need everyone to have open minds and willing to throw their two cents into everything.