Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
cobaltsentinel
First post! Good job, now post more...

Re: Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Post by cobaltsentinel » Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm really liking the framework you're laying out, man. I've been looking for a good post-apocalyptic game...

I think all of the comments that have been stated before are bringing some good points to the table. I heartily agree with how the survivors should be striving for reformation of governments. It'll make for a bit more organization and realism considering how we humans wish to survive.

I'll definitely be following this with great interest!

Infardi
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Infardi » Thu May 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Immediately the story gives some awesome ideas on gameplay, for example in the case that the factions have robots maybe a damage like chart that can decide on it's fate, one fate would be taht a chip was hit and the target processor was damaged and maybe roll a dice and see who it shoots at out of it's maddened rage.

Another one i get is (i'll try to draw a concept of this) is a robot designed for The Event.
"There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty."- Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

"If your the last man standing, then your not fighting hard enough!"

commisar gaunt
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #9

Post by commisar gaunt » Thu May 14, 2009 5:50 pm

great story, i think there should be almost a resistance that goes up against the "immortal supercomputers" for main factions. The basis for this could possibly be that the computers were damaged during the event and went hostile on the humans they once served.

Also like someone else said there could be mutants that were once human that were affected by the biostorms.
Guardsmen Archambault of the 902nd Varden Rifles

raytheman5
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by raytheman5 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 pm

this is awesome. it reminds me of fallout 3 mixed with command and conquer and warhammer 40k. can't wait for more!
space marines =2500
catachans = 1500
tyranids = ???

Frozt
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by Frozt » Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Wow. great start for an intro so far! Sorta ironic I was working on a story before I joined Miniwargaming's forum that was a tad similar to this. I'll post some ideas that you could use for mythos:

After the so called apocalypse, a civilization developed along a coast shortly after "the event", as survivors banded together to form a new society. As a result, two classes of people were formed. Those who willingly gave up the ability to use firearms, tanks, weapons and such became "citizens of the inner walls". Learning from the past, they became a society that was peaceful and indulgant in the ways of life ( Think Brave New World by Aldous Huxley). They wore colorful and loose garments as they walked through the pavilions, Towering white walls glistening as the sunlight shined upon them.

However, as the world became more like the city states of ancient Greece, they needed protectors. A second caste became militaristic, choosing a path of the warrior and guardians of the walled city. Seperated by choice and by birth, they became the fighting caste, bound by oath and creed to serve and protect. They were the beings who traveled into the wasteland as bodyguards to negociators, as peace keepers, and monster hunters.

Thats actually the basis for my Idea. please, feel free to use any of it, and change what you like. As a writer, I like to challenge my brain :mrgreen:
VC w1/L0/T0
Orks w3/L1/T1 (darn weedy gitz *lost to eldar*)

originaljulz

Post by originaljulz » Thu May 14, 2009 6:46 pm

This seems like it would be a lot like Infinity.

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Ashran » Thu May 14, 2009 7:02 pm

[quote="commisar gaunt"]great story, i think there should be almost a resistance that goes up against the "immortal supercomputers" for main factions. The basis for this could possibly be that the computers were damaged during the event and went hostile on the humans they once served.[quote]

That doesn't really fit in with the fluff MWG typed at all

1: the "super computers" aren't this uber duber immortal race, they're dieing and barely surviving like everyone else

2: Why would you want a "main faction" in a game where all groups need to be equal?
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

ChaOsUpOnU

Post by ChaOsUpOnU » Thu May 14, 2009 7:56 pm

i cant say that i much liked the story line dont get me wrong i think its a great story, it just didnt pick my interest. i just dont think that there would be much variety or room for expendature in races or weapons. mabye im just too acustomed to warhammer, but i think alot more people would be interested if there were sortof, a race for everybody, git me? i do though believe in be constructive so i will say that it is very creative and one of a kind story. lots of good events and explanations.

WhereArtMeetsWar

Post by WhereArtMeetsWar » Thu May 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Seems pretty cool. Some of the writing could be touched up but over-all it looks pretty sick!

P.S: Don't flame me because I felt the writing could be better, take a look a GW. But then again, the game is far from being finished.

CptKracker
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by CptKracker » Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm

couple of questions,
do people still use guns or have they been destroyed?
are the cities scrap heaps like fallout 3 or are some still actually cities?
have horses been killed off?
oh and can you post a map with some rough indication of whats been changed?

other than that it sounds great! cant wait for more

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 pm

GOOD JOB really like it

lol poor canada of course, I like it all, a map idea would be neat
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

Shas Zam
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Group Build Badge #8Group Build Badge #9Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Shas Zam » Thu May 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I like it!

Just a bit of a twist off the whole "Gamma World" scenario.

So, this is a minis game, RPG or a mix of both? With as much background as you've developed, it should include some RPG potential.
"True power can not be taken, it must be received. True power can not be lost, it must be relinquished."

http://thecindersofwar.blogspot.com/

drewtaylortx
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by drewtaylortx » Thu May 14, 2009 10:01 pm

Sounds like a good start for the background and well thought out, however the narrative has a lot of "sluff" that needs to be condensed to make it flow easier while reading.

I do like the content and concept, and as you said this is just the rough version. If you could use some help with formatting and editing I could lend my assistance.

Overall Concept: Thumbs Up

Goblaz
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Goblaz » Thu May 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Very good story line looking forward to it :mrgreen:

Epic Duck Mike
The Duckiest!
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventTook part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Epic Duck Mike » Thu May 14, 2009 11:02 pm

The AI are far from all-powerful and immortal - they'd be just as mortal as any human, needing to seek sources of power in the same way a human needs to find food. For this reason, it'll actually be common to find humans and AI travelling and working together, since they'd have similar goals but uses for different materials. Of course, there'll also be reasons for quarrel between sentient beings, but the point is that AI are not evil or oppressive. They are not Necrons, and there is no Skynet. They're intelligent software made mortal, striving to keep themselves running. Some will be very complex, capable of overseeing the operations of large factories or small countries, while others will be more limited, such as androids originally designed to assist humans.

As far as the game itself goes, we're focusing heavily on a tabletop wargame first, but we're certainly keeping the idea of an RPG setting (and possibly a skirmish game bridging the two) in mind.

As Matt has stated, the Earth itself isn't really rebelling - there's no large creature at the core of the planet, and it's not self-aware and for revenge. The reason it's been written as such, is because no one alive to write about what happened knows *why* it happened. Even the AI is at a loss - most were occupied with their tasks at hand and didn't pay much attention to the world at large, or simply didn't have access to that kind of information. Any who did know what really happened were likely affected by the EMP event, either corrupting or clearing their memory in the process.
Professional Warhammer and Miniature Painting - visit Epic Duck Studios!
I'm NOT currently accepting Commissions. Sorry!
Follow @_EpicDuck on Twitter.

Great artists don't paint because they're inspired; they're inspired because they paint.