Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
magicguitar19
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting Pledges

Re: Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Post by magicguitar19 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm

wow I'm really quite excited about this. now are you guys gonna be in production of your own minis or what now?
NECRONS-1010 points
Black Templars-2922 points
Behemoth Tyranids-2195 points
Daemonhunters-2110 points
Chaos Space Marines-3150 points
Orks- 654 points

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu May 14, 2009 3:42 pm

magicguitar19 wrote:wow I'm really quite excited about this. now are you guys gonna be in production of your own minis or what now?
That's the plan.

Ishamael
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Ishamael » Thu May 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I enjoyed the read - it's refreshing to have something which isn't steeped in an ancient mythos a la LOTR.

A few notes I would make:

Firstly, don't go down the whole doom and gloom road for a dystopian future; it is possible still to have an apocalyptic setting without falling into the clichés of factions constantly at war in a world of anarchy. I would try and emphasise that people are forming governments and fledgeling states - not simply fighting for survival amongst each other - your factions will need cohesive motivations for war.

I would also try and make the differences between faction subtle, rather than an a mystic one with possible psychic abilities and a robot like set etc. Make the people appear similar but with a few differences in appearance, with all major points being ideological.

You have here a perfect example of sentient creatures reduced back to zero - explore the Hobbesian State of Nature stuff to its extreme. play around with Philosophy as much as you can to get genuinely interesting motivations for armies. I would try and focus on creating the identity of each faction in their outlook on a new future (for instance; logicians, existentialists, nihilists, utilitarian).

If you're going to have a mysterious/mystic past (again like LOTR and 40k) please do not keep all information to a minimum. Explain the histories and origins almost more than the modern stuff - it gives it a sense of scope and a feeling of epicness.

Please do not make it a Gia like creature that resulted in the Event - like the Happening poorly does - with some poor placed messages about global warming. That would not be wise.

I really love the idea of machines in your story, almost as metallic people with flaws and problems. The idea of counter-dependence is excellent and allows a lot of room for the place of sentience over organic creatures normative claims.

Overall, cracking job. Hope you appreciate the comments.

miniwargaming
Site Admin

Post by miniwargaming » Thu May 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Thanks Ishamael! You have given me some great ideas.

There are a lot more ideas in my head than I put into this initial story. I agree with you in pretty much all of your points. Factions won't be "at war" with each other for no reason.

Oh, and I hate propaganda. This isn't a game about how we should take care of the earth or anything like that. In fact, "The Event" (or whatever I will be calling it), isn't as "natural" as I make it sound in the story (that will be revealed later on).

Matthew

jmwood
MiniWarGaming Beginner
Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by jmwood » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

As a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, this sounds awesome! I may be making a leap here, but i see this as becoming a "fallout" tabletop game, minus the vault and nuclear fallout aspect. Different factions generally like the Brothehood of Steel, Wastelanders, Raiders, and Ghouls. Don't get me wrong, you should defenitley have your own backstory and plot, but i'm just using fallout as a similar setting to what I see. The AI Race sounds really cool, But i like the idea of the "black box" items. I can see a force's commander equipped with a "plasma" rifle which can only fire 3 time, or on a roll of a 1, blows up. Or a medic with one vial of a drug that lets him run as fast as a cheetah, but only for one game turn. The possibilities for condition and duration of weapons is an interesting idea that I really like, but I can see some people complaining about the bookkeeping.

I'm assuming this will be skirmish/40k esq in movement/shooting/combat? And for the size of games, are we talking roving bands of people trying to survive, or armies from the few nation states going out to search for technology. Personally, I feel it would be really cool to have a list of basic Character types (Normal human, AI race, Mutant etc.) with a number of weapons options, essentially letting a player make a band comprised of almost any combination of "races" or "classes" and with almost any equipment possible. Obviously there would be restrictions (ie Special robot weapons, No Mutant Animals with Humans etc.)

Wow, long response, But I have to say, this is perhaps the most exciting thing I have heard in Miniature wargaming since I began. I am VERY pumped, and May even convert a vault dweller (heheh, I love fallout) in anticipation......

Looking forward to the next installment, and more than willing to write/draw if help is needed

JMW

Ishamael
Now we're getting somewhere...

Post by Ishamael » Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Cool - I do so dislike it when I am being preached at from a work of fiction then is trying to sell me a story simultaneously.

Joetrillion
MiniWarGaming Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting Pledges

Post by Joetrillion » Thu May 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Well thought of and well put toghether.I think i may even probably get into it when you realease the rules.

PS:this may just be me but does anyone think alot of parts of this sound like Fallout3?EDIT:two posts above me.

Khornate
Lost in the MiniWarGaming world...

Post by Khornate » Thu May 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Sounds good to me but is your name really Matthew Glanfield? it sounds like a comic book hero name o.O
Many of my best friends are Wargamers, and only a few of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, MiniWarGaming Grand Marshall Khornate, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the moderators of the Miniwargaming forum.

patapon13
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot
Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by patapon13 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Well seeing they are trying too survive well maybee they could have a base(headquarters) and each faction has a diferent base and else than that you can spend points on different stuff(walls,housing,reserche station,alarm etc...) and each of the building has different effects in the game.

Understand? :?
Buy it, build it, paint it, play it, sell it then start again. Thats my motto!
Starting an Ork count as Tyranid army.

Pulltruck
MiniWarGaming Regular

Post by Pulltruck » Thu May 14, 2009 4:22 pm

I smell a subterranean race causing this event.

patapon13
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by patapon13 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm

Just like in Gears of war

Patapon13
Buy it, build it, paint it, play it, sell it then start again. Thats my motto!
Starting an Ork count as Tyranid army.

Dez
Spends far too much time here...
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesHas Completed 25 Painting PledgesHas Completed 50 Painting PledgesHas Completed 100 Painting Pledges!Took part in a Painting Deathmatch Headline EventWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryPlaced First with a 'Mini of the Month' EntryCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Dez » Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 pm

I want to build robots now. Robots, with all sorts of tribal imagery added onto them. Rusty, banged up robots.

There are so few of them, yet the human survivors are many. The AI have figured out that if they make their appearance fiendish, they affect the morale of the humans attacking in droves. This also helps when the AI attack the humans, to recover that 'Black Box' item which is actually a direly needed power coupling for the AI's survival.
PAINT FOR THE PAINT GODS, SPRUES FOR THE SPRUE THRONE!!!

Ashran
Epic MiniWarGaming Poster, 'nuff said

Post by Ashran » Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 pm

patapon13 wrote:Just like in Gears of war

Patapon13
Not really, I mean the Locusts sank a few cities with the big worm, but, then it died. What's really causing all sorts of stuff in that universe is immulsion and human experimentation.

On topic- You said something about the people would find out the reason for the event in a future resource book, does this mean we'll have an "evolving" story (You know, where time actually moves forward unlike WH 40k where we'll never get past M 41)
dreadlord is a bar of the fish of the friction
I literally cried -Khornate
My Brotha from anotha motha.
I love you every time one of these threads show up. -Jason
I submit! /cower -Mike Nixon

gannam
First post! Good job, now post more...

Post by gannam » Thu May 14, 2009 5:02 pm

Ok, a few observations and questions here.

1. Why are they fighting? Its a table top game. I really need a reason for the sides to be engaged.

2. I am not sure its entirely believable that the earth would rebel as a sentient being. Every protagonist needs a motivation. You need a catalyst. Maybe some nut job faction that craves oblivion, or a super weapon. Perhaps some faction opened a black hole to overcome space travel obstacles.

3. Your story is borderline "Rifts" an RPG that was popular in the 90's. I would consider looking to them for source material.

4. If you are aiming for a tabletop game. I would not really focus so much on background yet. You may want to start with making some really cool races/classes, and then work backwards. You have a good skeleton of a story, but as a gamer, I want to know what is going on the table.

Black-Napalm
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Black-Napalm » Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 pm

"I don't want to set the world on fire" 8)