Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Discuss MiniWarGaming's new game here.
theRetardUndead
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Re: Primal Horizon Main Story (work in progress)

Post by theRetardUndead » Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm

true! you cant be mutated by radiation!!!

it kills no matter what species!

roaches would survive though..
Im lookin' for da danish playaz' to start da club!
woot!!!!! no danish 'umies?!!!!
''And Satan walked into heaven, and God said: OMG WTF WALL HAX''

Nocturus
Mighty Manufactorium of MiniWarGaming Posts
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Tue May 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Yep, now if people want a way to get "mutated" animals, you could use the part of the story linking back to genetic manipulation. In the story it is mentioned that even though technology was advancing, war was still constant. Genetic engineering for military purposes is not a new idea, or really that much of a stretch. Why not engineer a soldier that is more likely to have muscle growth, denser bone structure, a stronger heart, a more active brain, et cetera. These "ideas" though would have been tested before implemented on a person, aka, animals. Why not creatures that escaped from genetics labs during the event and continued to breed, passing their modified genes on to their offspring in the process? This is the only legitimate way I can see to anything that might be a "mutant." Just my 2 bits, rip it apart if you like :wink:.

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
I bow down, Nocturus. --Aloh'Kais
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3
Tau w/ Eldar Allies W-3 D-1 L-3

DavicusPrime
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryHas Completed 3 Terrain Group Build entriesHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by DavicusPrime » Tue May 19, 2009 2:21 pm

There's a plot line that hadn't been possed yet... What about Genetically Engineered life forms (GELFs)?

It's likely such critters wouldn't be a faction unto itself but could allow for some interesting purpose bred critters that would be available to the surviving people groups.

The main issue would be the need for the engineered critters needing to be viable for procreation. If they can't reproduce, which would seem to be a smart thing to build into a GELF to protect against unexpected ecological damage, they probably won't be any living specimins left from the time of the cataclysm/event/thingie to be more than a historical footnote.

In real life, mutations don't tend to work out as advantages. So natural selection would tend to weed them out. But bioengineered critters meant to fill a specific role and that can also breed may make for good beast type units.

Just another idea for Matt's brain. :)

-DavicusPrime
favoredctan: "you wound me, sir."
demarcosg: "Roll armour save."
My PhotoBucket Page

Nocturus
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesWon a Painting Deathmatch Side ChallengeCompleted a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge Entry

Post by Nocturus » Tue May 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Yeah, with people throwing out the mutation bit so much, I just felt I'd at least give a more plausible answer for them to argue over. :wink:

Noc
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right. -Isaac Asimov
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3

humble apostle
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by humble apostle » Tue May 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Here is my fleshed out idea for a Roman style faction that would be the successor to the US's technomight as well as incorporating many ideals and high discipline into its foundation.

I give you

The Order of the Guardians

Not long after the Event, a band of wayward American spec ops soldiers came upon a cache of military grade hardware. Computers, medical equipment, but most important of all, weaponry. These men and their families would not starve or be struck down by crazed beasts. Vagabonds would fear them because what hope does a disorganized band of demi-humans have against the technology of a fallen empire at the hands of an elite force.

It was not long before disputes arose in the camp of the soldiers, as many were drunk with power and wished to wield their might over the struggling survivors of mankind. It was a man named Pirus and his AI, Hawkins, that decided to take charge. Pirus was a man of great integrity and eloquence, well loved by the men and filled with ideals and plans. Pirus had been a faithful man before the Event and viewed the disaster as a sign from God that mankind was to be given a second chance despite their mistakes. He felt that the best route the band should take is to focus on protecting those they could and reintroducing morals, technology, and medicine to the ailing people of Earth.

While Pirus was challenged for leadership in the early days of the Order, it was not long before many flocked to his banner. The men respected his fair ways, for he would grant medicine and tech to any who asked of it even if they did not share his faith or views. His only rule was that those who were given, would give when able, those who had given were respected, and those that abused the gifts be punished in a fair and just manner. The Order grew in size, becoming a large force in the American North West. From the remnants of Cheyenne Mt. Colorado, the Order was able to construct several small towns and protect those within.

Although the Order has faced hard times, and there are many dangers that face the world, the hope for mankind to thrive again may rest with the Order.

Characteristics: Most Order members are highly trained and relatively well equipped soldiers. The Order's forces are not very numerous, but each of their men is more than a match for most common threats. The Order itself has had its ups and downs, but is generally known for faithfulness to God and a devotion to ideals of justice, mercy, charity, and hope. Order members fight to the death when necessary, willing to throw their lives away to save the weak. Many other factions and neutral forces are unfriendly towards the Order, as its unflinching devotion to ideals has made it more than a few enemies. Most forces will work with the Order, for a time, but it is not long before the Order's conditions become loathsome to their allies and the friendship turns to anger.

Equipment: The Order seperates its forces into tiers of valor. Each tier is progressively smaller and each member of said tiers is even stronger than the last. At the height is the Lionheart. It is the voice of the Lionheart that calls the men to battle and dictates the creeds of the organization. Next is the Archknights, gifted officers and men of stout hearts. These men are commonly armed with the best power armor the Order can find or copy, and typically wield well crafted heavy swords and a rare energy weapon. Next down is the Paladins, who wear a mix of power armor and light chainmail. Their weapons are typically longswords forged with precision and a heavy shield to cover them in combat. The next tier are the common soldiery of the Order, known as the Brothers. Brothers are equipped with chainmail and leather armor, for swift movement. These men often carry plenty of ranged weaponry, operating much like a common Pre Event US military squad. The lowest tier are the Squires, new inductees into the Order's forces. Squires typically do not fight in combat, but may be called to do so. When necessary, Squires often operate what long range artillery the Order can find and drive the few transport vehicles at their disposal.

I hope MWG can use some of this and even if it isn't used it was fun to write XD
1800 pts. Black Templar Army (ETA: June/July Thanks LordofSteel!)
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 55&t=11188 My custom chapter, the Black Saints!
Scientia Est Potentia- Loresaint Markus.

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Well done I like your idea.

But I don't think society in this would be pushed so far back into chainmail and swords and such, and that doesn't really fit the type of 'roman' profile.
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

humble apostle
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by humble apostle » Tue May 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Think of them like the Roman army rather than the politics. They are highly organized, highly technological (compared to most of the faction ideas/concepts I've heard) and they fight with varying styles of armor. Chainmail is still darn useful when some crazed savage is coming at you with a spear.

Mostly with this faction I was trying to recreate the feeling I had watching Gladiator for the first time this weekend. At the beginning, Maximus' army moves like a well oiled machine, with phalanxes being set up in mere moments and calvary charges rushing from behind. This is what I kind of envision the Order being like. They have really powerful tech, but not alot of it or ways to produce more. They use chainmail/leather armor because it works against alot of the common threats they face. The truly powerful threats are dealt with by Archknights and the like.
http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/view ... 55&t=11188 My custom chapter, the Black Saints!

Andypenguin
MiniWarGaming Zealot

Post by Andypenguin » Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 pm

Ah that sounds a lot better
Penguin army: %&@# off bear cavalry

And ipod touch posting ftw

Far right winged beast of awsomeness

DigitalNinja
MiniWarGaming Crazed Zealot

Post by DigitalNinja » Tue May 19, 2009 9:13 pm

It was used in a movie as a line, (Jurassic Park infact) But the new creatures created by human means could have their reproduction system re activated by means of life and it's un canny ability to survive.
I want there to be images allowed in Siggys!

Nocturus

Post by Nocturus » Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 pm

humble apostle wrote:Equipment: The Order seperates its forces into tiers of valor. Each tier is progressively smaller and each member of said tiers is even stronger than the last. At the height is the Lionheart. It is the voice of the Lionheart that calls the men to battle and dictates the creeds of the organization. Next is the Archknights, gifted officers and men of stout hearts. These men are commonly armed with the best power armor the Order can find or copy, and typically wield well crafted heavy swords and a rare energy weapon. Next down is the Paladins, who wear a mix of power armor and light chainmail. Their weapons are typically longswords forged with precision and a heavy shield to cover them in combat. The next tier are the common soldiery of the Order, known as the Brothers. Brothers are equipped with chainmail and leather armor, for swift movement. These men often carry plenty of ranged weaponry, operating much like a common Pre Event US military squad. The lowest tier are the Squires, new inductees into the Order's forces. Squires typically do not fight in combat, but may be called to do so. When necessary, Squires often operate what long range artillery the Order can find and drive the few transport vehicles at their disposal.
I like your idea here, but if you want a more Roman military feel to the faction they should wield a gladius instead of long or heavy swords. The reason the Roman legions could fight the way they did was because the gladius was a short weapon that didn't require large amounts of space around the soldiers to wield. Longswords and heavy two-handed swords can not effectively be wielded while in ranks. Spears would also be a better choice for close combat weapons while fighting in ranks because they allow the front two or 3 ranks to fight.

My other question is about the man who founded the fledgling nation, Pirus. If he did this shortly after the "Event" he would now be close to 80 or 90. So what would be the state of his nation now? Most great leaders with amazing ideals are followed by a leader who is corrupt or simply unable to live up to the standards set by their predecessor.

Just some ideas for ya to kick around. It was an enjoyable read :mrgreen:.

Noc
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3

humble apostle
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by humble apostle » Tue May 19, 2009 10:45 pm

I didn't mention it at the time because it was meant to be a short blurb, but Hawkins his AI is actually ruling since he passed.

Harder for an AI to fall prey to power corruption, could happen, but the program Hawkins oversees is an ethics and diplomacy program XD

Edit: I also meant to work the gladius into the Brothers tier, but for some reason my mind kept drifting to Crusaders from Europe.

Ya I want one bit to be like the common Roman footsoldier, with shield and gladius, but I also want to have a bit of that crusader near the top. Know what I mean?

Nocturus

Post by Nocturus » Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 pm

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I just don't think the crusaders work to well with a Roman style army. The tactics used are completely different. If you can make it work though go for it :wink:.

Noc
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3

humble apostle
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Post by humble apostle » Tue May 19, 2009 11:27 pm

I just finished reading parts of the Malus Darkblade series and I think the descriptions in there may help solidify this idea.

In the series, the Dark Elf army Malus gets to lead (SPOILER ALERT) consists of a spear company, aka Brothers with spears/gladius and ranged ability, a crossbowman company, Brothers with ranged weaponry, and a house knights squad. This would be your Paladins and up, relying on motorized calvary and perhaps short range teleport/faster movement devices to make them behave strategically like calvary.

The footslogging Brothers make the up bulk of the army. You see them on the front lines alot more. Paladins, Archknights and the like are all sort of the elites. They stay off to the side, commanding, until a priority target surfaces and they use Squire transports to get in there and give em hell.

Something like that work?

Nocturus

Post by Nocturus » Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 am

Yeah, that could work. What I'm trying to get at though I guess is Roman military structure did not contain much heavy cavalry. It was one of their bigest weaknesses.

Another question you might want to ask yourself about the structure of your military is the amount of troops you have available. You are saying that they value life and that they aren't very populace correct? If this is true, they wouldn't organize into the shineing legions in uniform rank. They would fight gorilla style from the trees to preserve life. Also they just wouldn't have the numbers to form the legions. Make your design however you like, but it always helps to have it based a little more on supporting facts ;). The premise behind your faction is good, just work out how you want the army structre (numbers and types of troops) based upon what resources they have to draw upon (people and weapons). Hope that helps some, I sent you a couple of links about Roman military structure in a PM.

Noc
Tau 6th Ed. W-0 D-0 L-3

Apa1994
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming
Ribbons Earned: Has Completed 1 Terrain Group Build entryGroup Build Badge #1Group Build Badge #3Participated in the Inaugural Painting PledgeHas Completed 5 Painting PledgesHas Completed 10 Painting PledgesCompleted a 'Mini of the Month' Entry

Post by Apa1994 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 am

humble apostle wrote:Chainmail is still darn useful when some crazed savage is coming at you with a spear.
If you have already answered on this, I´m sorry, but I haven´t read the last five post or so.

If you are refering to the faction that Matt has told us about, you might remeber thier spear were electrically (or something else) charged.

Still, I (not you, me,) cannot think of that anybody should:
1: Have the resources to make chainmails (remeber, many years ahead, and we aint saving resources at the moment).
2: Think it was even close to the effectivness that other armour provides (everything couldn´t have been destroyed).

Still, a european faction COULD be a mixture of german, brittish, (I doubt you will be on the game, probably you are all under water by now) italian (romans) you name it.

I would then want a northern faction (still, just me talking), with russia (its kind of big so yeah) and the nordic countries (that would include me).