It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:23 am 
Lives, breathes, and eats MiniWarGaming

So there is a new (it's been there for a year, I just didn't know about it) gaming store in the town where I live!

They have a warmahordes night every Tuesday. So I figured, hey, I have a legion army, why don't I swing down and check out the action. They get anywhere from 6 - 12 people there playing it seems.

Last night was my second night there, and the second night I received jabs and ridicule for playing legion. I heard "everbroken" quite a few times, and quite a few comments about various aspects of several of the warbeasts and most of the casters and how horribly overpowered and broken they are.

I played a 15 point game with regular Thagrosh, and was against Cygnar. They managed to kill my scythian, so I brought it back with Thag's feat. For the rest of the game I heard about how unbalanced and broken that is.

Yet, at the end of the game. I lost. I made several mistakes. But I lost in large part to a 5 inch AoE knockdown that I couldn't do anything about. I had a Raek in their casters face for 2 turns, and yet I couldn't do any appreciable damage to their caster.

Rather discouraged to go back frankly. I mean, I picked Legion before the MK2 rules for Hordes came out. Yet I get treated like I am playing "the best" army on purpose. Even when I lose.

Personally, I would have thought if Everblight was really that over powered Privateer Press would have done something about it. As that company seems to actually care about balance considerably more then GW. Maybe I'm wrong there though.

What's your guys thoughts on the situation?

Don't bother with going back?
Go back and pick up a new army?
Go back and just suck it up and play Everblight?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:38 am 

you shouldnt be forced to get another army because people ridicule you for playing an "overpowered army" If your playing that army because you enjoy playing it, and like the models, etc, then you have every right to play that army.

in the end you have every right to play any army you want, if the people there cant handle it, then tough. Its not as if your're playing the army because its supposed to be good,

My WIP http://www.miniwargaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=70250

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:02 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Don't worry about it at all.

Alot of those "Everbroken" comments stem back from the mk 1 days when Legion ignored sooo many of the rules, not only Eyeless sight but ignore freestrikes with Flight too which allowed them to get away with so many crazy assassination angles, so a little animosity was built there. It's pretty unfounded now in mk 2 or else you'd see Legion winning all the big official events, which isn't happening any more frequently than the other factions.

If you like Legion for goodness sakes don't switch to another faction because of another players fear. Yes those comments are made because they are a little nervous for some reason. They should appreciate the challenge I'd think.

I get this a little with Menoth, not because they are overly broken but because alot of people think their heavy denial game takes the fun out of it. I hear "boring" or "I hate playing them" alot. One of the things I love playing this game for is experiencing the diverse range of abilities that each army puts on the table, it's great when your opponent does something and all of a sudden you have to figure a way to adapt or maybe lose the game. pThags brings a beast back! Yes it's an awesome feat but PP does a good job of balancing things. It can't attack this turn for one thing. That still gives the opponent a whole turn to figure things out.

Don't let a little whining discourage you. You may hear a little more as you get better :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:40 pm 
MiniWarGaming Zealot

If you have a lot of points for your army and a lot of diversity in your models what you should do is this.

Go online and search for what people say is the broken Legion list the one that seems broken and abusive to the rules. You make that list and you make a fun list that you come up with and that you like to play most. You walk into your game store you match up with your opponent and without telling him anything about either list ask him which he would rather play against.

If he picks the tailored list and gets smashed all you have to do is say you chose to fight everbroken, if he picks your list and wins or loses then you can say "look this is what its like fighting a fun Legion list".

Either way by allowing your opponent to pick your army he should have nothing to complain about when the outcome of the fight is decided.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:21 pm 
MiniWarGaming Regular

So what if everblight is seen as broken by them? Don't mind what they say, ignore it. Ppl play for fun, not to win. If they hate you then so be it. Haters gonna hate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:38 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a Painting Deathmatch Side Challenge EntryAwarded the Awesome Medal of Awesomeness!
Legion is concidered by many as being one of the most over powered armies in the game, but thats just because alot of people listen to the meta for them.

Gatormen 170 points
Dwarves 261 points
Malifaux:
Gremlins 203 Soul Stones
Relic Knights:
Noh Empire: 68 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

Eillas wrote:
Go online and search for what people say is the broken Legion list the one that seems broken and abusive to the rules. You make that list and you make a fun list that you come up with and that you like to play most. You walk into your game store you match up with your opponent and without telling him anything about either list ask him which he would rather play against.

If he picks the tailored list and gets smashed all you have to do is say you chose to fight everbroken, if he picks your list and wins or loses then you can say "look this is what its like fighting a fun Legion list".

Either way by allowing your opponent to pick your army he should have nothing to complain about when the outcome of the fight is decided.

In my experience, people will openly scoff and say things like, "of course..." sarcastically, thinking that they automatically lose because your list is "broken" but when you ask them if they want you to change something out, they'll say its not necessary. Then if they lose, they'll blame your list.

The fact of the matter is, if someone thinks somethings op, they're going to think its op no matter what, at least until their army of choice gets an update. My LGS also hosts warmahordes on tuesdays (you in california by chance op?) and I decided to get the Legion battlebox because literally NO ONE plays them, so I figured I'd be the one to break change things up (everyone plays Circle or Skorne).

At the checkout counter, the guy behind the counter says, "You know people call this legion of everbroken right?" I just kinda stared at him and said, "thats fine if people wanna blame my list before analyzing what they did wrong." The dude laughed and said, "Thats the spirit."

Like people have said, don't let anyone influence what army you want to play.

Unless its Grey Knights, they're the worst. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:36 am 

Bearmallet wrote:
(you in california by chance op?)

Minnesota.

Thanks everyone for the replies, in the game I played last night I heard almost nobody complaining. I even won, although that was only because my opponent's dice rebelled against them. By all right they should have won. Yay dice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:55 pm 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

The thing with everbroken is that most people don't care as long as you don't play Saeryn because her feat is really broken. And its not that its super broken, its just its so huge denial its not fun to play against.

I've lost to everblight a lot. I don't mind playing against it because I still have fun. That and I play farrow so I'm running at a disadvantage anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:04 am 

Ribbons Earned: Completed a 'Mini of the Month' Entry
Saeryn is just one of many warcasters in the game which have access to huge denial Feats from many different factions. I just played a game yesterday in which both warcasters had denial Feats. Vindictus where enemy models take a damage point for damaging your models and Old Witch where you can't charge and if you move your models you take a POW 14 damage roll. Talk about shutting down a whole round on both sides!

I think in this game these Feats are only a problem if you build lists that can't adapt, such as with Saeryn's not having a decent ranged component to your force. Or adapt your tactics. In the example above my troops were locked down by the feat, all my support and troopers couldn't move or they die from the POW 14. I should have turtled my bastions around my Warcaster and waited out the round. Instead, my Bastions being the only models who could survive the POW 14 Feat other than the Warjack, advanced forward to press the attack opening up LOS lanes to my Warcaster, I couldn't move other models in those lanes either. If I would have stayed back and Protected the warcaster it would have given me another turn free of the Feat.

So what I'm trying to get at is this. Alot of these reputations warcasters and factions earn as being OTT, OP or whatever is due to someone playing that list in one game and getting caught with their pants down so to speak. The more games you play, adjust your lists and realize exactly what your up against the more likely you'll be able to deal with it. Then it's just up to the dice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Yeah, pHaley's Temporal Barrier is one hell of a feat. Cygnar players birch* and moaning about other armies being overpowered can suck it.

I say play Legion, play them well, and show common gamer courtesy afterwards, win or lose. If people have a problem with that, they're kinda missing the point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:59 am 
MiniWarGaming Beginner

It is really easy to make an effective, all-stealth list, and this pisses a lot of people off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 pm 
MiniWarGaming Veteran

Legion is not as OP as some claim. They just play a little different from other factions and takes a little getting used to. This years Masters Tournament at GenCon saw seven Menoth armies. Seven.

Don't let others get you down. If these guys want to start playing competetively, they'll need to get used to Legion. Beat them up. They need to learn now, rather than in a tournament setting.